Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Bike hire near Helensburgh (West of Glasgow for those daaaarn saaaarf)
  • u02sgb
    Free Member

Hi,
    I'm organising a stag doo near Helensburgh and wondered if anyone knew of decent bike here in the area? Will likely need helmets too. Not sure of the size of group or overall experience although I know that a few in the group are pretty good bikers.

Depending on the size and ability of the group I'm thinking of the Ardgarten peninsula (if all fit and experienced) or a loop from Arrochar into the hills and back out. Any other suggestions gratefully received.

Cheers,
    Stuart.

WackoAK
    Free Member

Both trails you mention are an option, the Ardgarten route is mainly on forestry road but has a good section of singletrack on the descent to Lochgoilhead. Another option is the Fire Tower trail at Lochgilphead which is about 1.5hrs from Helensburgh.

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/INFD-6N6H6H

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

iirc (i grew up there – lucky me!) there's only one bike shop in helensburgh, not sure of the name/if it hires out though.

there's a nice route from arrochar, will try to find the route for you

allyharp

There's a hire place in Balloch – http://www.canyouexperience.com/canoe.asp?page=44

Or there's Magic Cycles at Bowling harbour

u02sgb
    Free Member

Result! That's exactly what I was looking for ta. Do you know what kind of bikes they hire?

allyharp

No, I've never used either of them.

Think the one at Bowling is more likely to have hybrids as it's mostly canal path riding. Balloch say they have mtbs, and they're not too cheap so I'd expect some Giant hardtails or something similar.

u02sgb
    Free Member

Ok, I'll look into the one at Balloch.

dirtygirlonabike – if you could list the route that'd be great. The one I've done before has a fairly hefty climb to start with so if there's a better route it might be errr…. better-er.

Stu.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Bike hire near Helensburgh (West of Glasgow for those daaaarn saaaarf)’ is closed to new replies.