Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Bike handling question
  • juan
    Free Member

Hola todos, the SO has a problem with her new bike. She says that when she speeds up, the front end becomes more “twitchy”.
    From her previous bike, we have only changed the fork and the frame. The new combo has slacker head angle. I have changed her stem from 50 to 75 with no results, and even got her lock on grip to sit 1 cm outside the end of the bar. I have removed the valve nut as well.
    I have indeed try the bike but I did not manage to reproduce such behaviour.
    Any one has any ideas?

donsimon
    Free Member

Fork too long for the frame?

GW
    Free Member

sounds like she’s simply not a very experienced rider.

Can’t see anyone suggesting anything very useful about her bike set-up with so little detail given.

rudedog
    Free Member

Difficult to say but I’d hazard a guess that when she’s going faster, she’s moving her weight over the back of the bike which is making the steering lighter. The effect would likely be more pronounced on a bike with a slacker head angle.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

we have only changed the fork and the frame

that generally comes up as more than only…

many things can be in there, what is the frame/fork. Have you ridden it?

hexhamstu
    Free Member

Frame and fork are definitely going to effect the handling of the bike…..

JCL
    Free Member

Lower her bars as much as possible, wider bar, put the 50mm stem back on, put an Angleset on the bike, put a 2.3 front tyre on. Or just tell her to MTFU.

sweaman2
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/twitchy-front-end-help-me-with-basic-geometry-question

I asked this a couple of weeks ago. Some interesting thoughts in there. We are still experimenting but for us 1 inch of the bars and a slightly lower stem stack have both helped.

juan
    Free Member

Don simon, the fork is the correct length for the frame.
    rudedog that was my guess to, but I want to make sure it’s not bike related first.
    mike yes I have tried it several time, and I can’t see anything wrong with the handling.
    JCL already on a 2.3 tyre, the 50mm stem is a tricky one, as it has a 25 ° rise.
    sweaman I’ll have a look at your link.
    As for more detail
    68° head angle, 680 mm bars, 70 mm stem, 2.35 HRII tyres.

Trimix
    Free Member

Tell her you have made loads of adjustments, but dont do any, then just get her to ride it and ensure she stays in the middle of the bike.

It may be a combination of it being “in her head” at speed, and moving her weight back as a natural reaction to speed.

Film her as well to view technique / position.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Tell her you have made loads of adjustments, but dont do any, then just get her to ride it and ensure she stays in the middle of the bike.

It may be a combination of it being “in her head” at speed, and moving her weight back as a natural reaction to speed.

Film her as well to view technique / position.

I find it helps if you do this in a patronising way too…. 😉

Easiest way (relationship wise) is get someone else to do it. Blokes in bike shops love helping the ladies

juan
    Free Member

Easiest way (relationship wise) is get someone else to do it. Blokes in bike shops love helping the ladies

I know as my LBS owners pointed to me “nul n’est prophète en son pays” 😉
    Basically if I have something important to do tell her bike wise I ask him to do it 😀

growmac

My gf had this on her previous bike. Eventually we concluded that it was just a bit too small for her. Changed the bike and she’s been fine ever since.

legend
    Free Member

How does the wheelbase compare to her previous bike?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Bike handling question’ is closed to new replies.