Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Bike GPS – Useable on Motorbike ?
  • the_lecht_rocks

is there a push-bike GPS that would also work on a motorbike ?

it’d need to have European road maps on it as it’s to be used for motorcycle touring in Europe later this Summer.

TIA

MSP

I have used my edge 705 in the car when I have forgotten my tomtom, far from ideal but does work. Screens a bit small, and it struggled to process the data at higher speeds so I think the 800 would be better.
    You need to buy the garmin navigater european maps as an extra for the navigation functionality.

rickmeister

Probably one of the mobile phone apps will do it but the data charges would be grim. Garmin Zumo user here, works brilliantly and is designed for gloved fingers and left handed operation, bluetooth instructions to a headset and can play music mp3’s too…….. like it a lot.

have a look on ebay.

ChrisA
    Free Member

I was thinking this too. I’m currently using a tomtom one on a tech mount on my Ducati, but it doesn’t have itinery planning settings on it, so I’m going to give my edge 800 a blast this week and see how it fares!!

Only think I can really think of is I’m not convinced the screen will be big enough but I’ll tell you later hopefully.

josh1982
    Free Member

Try a Magellan Explorist 710. It has NavMan on road sat nav is water proof, shock proof and can also be taken off road as can be loaded with OS mapping but also has pretty good summit series mapping for the whole of Europe. It’s not cheap but does a superb job all in 1 device. Also has a video camera and 3m still camera which geo tags all your media.

mattsccm
    Free Member

The motorbike bit is largely irrelevant. Pick one to suit your rice and mapping needs. The only real difference is that your gloves wil be thicker so on the move button pressing has to be considered.I have used a variety of Garmin GPS’s for at least 10 years trail riding and cycling as well as walking. Doesn’t matter if the maps suit you.

Drac

Probably one of the mobile phone apps will do it but the data charges would be grim.

Only if you used a one that seeks data live. Nav Free is even free.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I was thinking this too. I’m currently using a tomtom one on a tech mount on my Ducati, but it doesn’t have itinery planning settings on it, so I’m going to give my edge 800 a blast this week and see how it fares!!

There’s a free bit of software called Tyre which allows you do do the itinerary in google maps and load it on to the Tom Tom. That’s what I used for my tour of europe a couple of years ago.

ChrisA
    Free Member

Hi 5th, I tried tyre on the one and just couldn’t get it to work for some reason

I have another tomtom in the car though with a wide screen and it works well on that one but that has the itinery planning installed as standard.

Do you know how it interfaces with the one? Think it’s a v2/v3. Does it load the route as a poi?

MSP

Thats a handy hint 5th, cheers.

orangetoaster
    Free Member

Try picking up a used RoadAngel from Fleabay. The Navigator/Adventurer 7000 supports OS mapping. They can easily be adapted to be hardwired to a 12v supply on the motorbike. You can then either run it on the motorbike with French IGN mapping or buy the RoadAngel EU road maps.

It’s compatible with memory map.

It’s not the latest and can be tricky to set up initially. It is very cheap though (about £40 – £70, sometimes with extra maps etc)and also waterproof.

ziggy
    Free Member

Should do, forgot to turn mine off on the last ride, max speed was 68 mph when I got home, it was then I realised I had left it on when I drove home 😳 Gramin Edge btw.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Bike GPS – Useable on Motorbike ?’ is closed to new replies.