Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Bike gear for an 8 month old
  • tcomc1000
    Free Member

Afternoon all,
    Finally had clearance from the long haired Admiral to take my boy out with me on the bike. Obviously flat paths only at first, but does anyone have experience of a “wee ride” carrier and a helmet to fit a baby?
    Thanks in advance!

M

OrangeLad
    Free Member

We started at about 10 months so there will be a bit of a difference in size, however, Weeride great bit of kit, still using it now for commuting as Satsuma Girl is at nursery where I work. Bobs them around quite a bit when regards of how smooth you think the path is, but as they get older you can have a good conversation with them as they ask what things are. Rear mounted seat I don’t think you’d get that and they would have a view of your backside.

The only down side is it does force you ride a bit like john wayne having just got of a horse. So if you have a short top tube and are tall then it may not be a comfortable position I’ve also had to drop the saddle a bit as I can’t fit between the seat and saddle if I need to stop at traffic lights which exacerbates the first point. However these aren’t enough to put me off and I’d buy another one if I had the need for a second because the pros definitely for me outweigh the cons.

We went for a Specialized Mio its essentially made like a decent adult helmet with inmould, head retention etc. it went small enough for her head but also has a magnetic chin strap clip so you can avoid the painful catching a bit of chin in the clip.

breadcrumb

Fitted a WeeRide today.

Giggly daughter = very happy daddy!

Quick test around the garden before we hit the country lanes-

Recommended.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nealglover
    Free Member

We use a Thule/Yepp Mini front mount seat

Dead simple to mount/unmount from the bike and is mounted very far forward compared to some, so can avoid some of the issues mentioned above.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Cratoni do some good small helmets.
    I used a bobike mini exclusive from 9 months (mounts on the steerer below the stem)
    Funnily enough got one for sale £30 posted if interested..

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/bobike-mini-exclusive-stem-steerer-mounted-child-seat-30-posted

WillH

I’ve used a Yepp Mini for both my kids from about seven months. Having owned both a Weeride and the Yepp I found the Yepp gave more knee clearance than a Weeride (but that will depend on you and your bike geometry). The mount for the Yepp is lighter and less intrusive than the Weeride one, and the seat can be mounted and removed much quicker (using just one hand, useful if you have a baby in the other hand).

Both boys started with Limar 124 helmets which are very light and have the adjustable inner within a polystyrene outer the same as adult helmets.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Bike gear for an 8 month old’ is closed to new replies.