Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Bike friendly bars/pubs manchester center?
  • mattyfez

Hi all,
    Planing a long tow path ride saturday, from Huddersfield into Manchester on the Ashton canal, heading back along the Rochdale canal to Hebden Bridge and back to Huddersfield on the calder and hebble nav..

I’m looking for somewhere to stop for lunch and a pint where my bike will be safe, preferably a large bar/pub with an out door area – anyone who knows the city have any suggestions?

This is my planned route through the city, any ideas, I don’t mind going a bit further into the center? thanks.

Mackem
    mattyfez

Looks like a contender, any other suggestions?

Thanks so far.

binners

Only a slight detour into Rochdale Road, but I’d go to the Marble Arch. A lovely pub. Great selection of beers, brewed on the premises in their micro-brewery out the back, great food, and a beer garden where the bikes would be out of sight

belugabob
    Free Member

The description of ‘The Terrace’, of the website of ‘The Wharf’ speaks volumes about the locals. 😉

trailhound101

Slightly OT(ie no beer) but maybe helpful nonetheless. Check out the Popup bike cafe Manchester (easy find on Google) – Park your bike and leave your kit there safely to explore manchester bars or Northern Quarter on foot and/or have lunch and/or excellent coffee cakes. Its very very bike friendly.

edhornby

Try Bar Fringe – lots of very good beers and although you wouldn’t know it from the front, there is a rear access with some tables to form a beer garden and the bikes would be out of sight

dunno about food there, but you’re on the edge of the northern quarter so would be able to find food no bother

GregMay
    Free Member

I’ll second the Marble Arch. Nice beer. Sloping floor. Ye Olde Timee feel and nicotine stained roof is free.

mattyfez

Think I might go to the marble arch over the warf, lol at that comment!

dazh

The trouble with the Marble Arch is it’s always full of pissed postmen.

mattyfez

Hah, may have a rethink then, any secure bike parking more central than the popup bike cafe?, ive seen the tower bike park but you cant just pay for one day by the looks.

edhornby

If you can ride Huddersfield to Manchester then walking from pop-up to the Nq is a piece of piss

mattyfez

True but I’m strange like that!
    Pop up might be the best option I think though.

mcnultycop

That route doesn’t go into the city centre!

1km further, sit out the back of Rain Bar (backs onto the canal).. The Britons Protection is just round the corner and is the best pub in the known universe.

RustySpanner

John Cooper Clarke’s brother drinks in the Marble.

He’s a postman. 🙂

GregMay
    Free Member

If you go into The Britons Protection have a pint of Old Rosie 🙂

pitduck
    Free Member

“John Cooper Clarke’s brother drinks in the Marble.”…Evidently.

BillMC

Marble Arch is divine.

hora
    Free Member

Are you taking a lock? Personally Even with a lock dont nip to the loo.

Great idea though but has the risk of getting pissed and riding into the canal! 😀

globalti
    Free Member

Oops, just reading this thread and BBC news announces that a crane has toppled over outside the Angel on Rochdale Road, another good beer pub. Had the operator been inside?

mattyfez

Taking a d-lock with cable extension, but quite like the idea of secure storage so I can wander a bit, grab a pint and something to eat without worrying too much! Plenty if options there, thanks for the suggestions!

RustySpanner

If you like curry, you can sit in Al Faisal in the ‘Northern Quarter’ and keep an eye on your bikes chained up outside.

Fringe is a good shout.

Mackem

If you come anywhere near me (Bury/Whitefield/Prestwich) area you can use my pass for the secure storage in the city centre. Just post it back to me.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Bike friendly bars/pubs manchester center?’ is closed to new replies.