Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Bike-friendly alehouse in Fort William?
  • Garry_Lager

Got a ride planned this week that will see me rolling into Fort Bill and getting the train back down south. Can anyone recommend somewhere to park the bike up and have a few bevvies?

Also, I’ll be passing through Corrour – can you get a cup of tea at the youth hostel or the station these days?

devs
    Free Member

There’s now a Wetherspoons right at the end of the WHW with plenty of things outside to lock your bike to and tables by teh window so you can watch it too if need be. Plenty of places to lock bike down the pedestrianised high st. I’ve locked my bike at one end after the TdBN and went on the lash. Luckily it was still there at the end. 🙂

Garry_Lager

Thks Devs.
    Did you ford the Abhainn rath in that event? Planning on crossing that and it’s meant to be a decent size if it’s been raining.

didgerman
    Free Member

No help for the original question, but there’s a decent curry house in Fort Bill. Mind you, all curry is good after a bike ride. This must’ve been a good one though, I remember it even after the 27.5 cobras….

scotroutes

IIRC, the cafe/restaurant thing at Corrour seems to be closed now.

scotroutes

Did they make your guts come alive?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

There are unforunately no decent pubs in Fort Bill.

If you can head up Glen Nevis the pub up there is great.

The station in Fort Bill has proper locking bike stores.

devs
    Free Member

Yes I’ve crossed it a few times. Ridden across without getting wet feet on one occasion and calf deep on others. others will have done the first event when it was waist deep. It’ll be high now and if it’s within a few days of some of the 4″ in a day storms they’ve been getting recently I wouldn’t even think of attempting it. In fact the puddles on the LRT along Loch Eilde Mor will be enough to make you turn back 🙂

bullroar
    Free Member

Corrour Station House is closed for the winter, reopens in March:

http://www.corrour-station-house-restaurant.co.uk/

Where were you planning on crossing the Abhainn Rath?

didgerman
    Free Member

@Scotroutes Not as much as 29+ Guinness

Garry_Lager

Where were you planning on crossing the Abhainn Rath?

Luibeilt, from the N side having come from Creaguaineach lodge way.
    If it was v high I guess I’d just stay on that side and push on down Glen Nevis, although I hear that’s a miserable hike with the bike.

bullroar
    Free Member

I suspect at this time of year by the time you get to Luibeilt you will have had enough of bog and hike a bike.

If the aim is to get to The Fort and river is too high you might consider a bale out going North into the Lairig Leach. It is a hike a bike (pretty easy for teh most part) up to the top of the pass between the two hills and then a good descent towards Spean Bridge. Then there are options to ride through the Leananchan Forest, complete the bale out by road or combinations of the two.

Whatever, stay safe and enjoy, it is a fantastic part of the world.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Bike-friendly alehouse in Fort William?’ is closed to new replies.