Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Bike frame numbers
  • snakeysnuggles
    Free Member

I got thinking after a friend has recently (and now got) a second hand Specialized bike. He wanted to ensure it wasn’t stolen and so wouldn’t touch one with no frame number on or provided.

We own a few specialized bikes and I noticed the frame numbers are stickers….WTF…have I missed something? What happens when the sticker comes off or if stolen is removed. My stumpjumper I bought second hand off here and I know the sale was genuine and not stolen for various reasons, however the frame number sticker has never been there nor any sign of it.

Other less quality brands stamp their frame numbers in the metal.

breadcrumb

Is it not stamped too?

I’m sure my Langster has both a sticker and the frame stamped.

EDIT- my Pitch was bought new in 08 and has no sticker, Langster is a 2010 I think.

snakeysnuggles
    Free Member

I can’t find it stamped anywhere and we have 4 Specialized bikes…3 stickered, one not. Would be good if someone knew where Specialized where meant to be metal stamped…just outta interest…cos stickers only seems odd

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    njee20
    Free Member

My stumpjumper I bought second hand off here and I know the sale was genuine and not stolen for various reasons, however the frame number sticker has never been there nor any sign of it.

For a few years Stumpjumpers had their frame numbers stamped in the back of the seat tube, checked there?

You can’t stamp a carbon frame, they’ve always been stickers. I think you’re placing too much significance in the frame number frankly.

Jamie
    Free Member

Mine are usually stamped, and then filled with paint so I can’t read them.

snakeysnuggles
    Free Member

No carbon bikes in our house….:-D Bike ages date from 2007-2011/12.
    I’ll have a better nosey I think, was only curious after my friend was ensuring he checked out any bikes he was considering.

Nejee20 – I fully fully agree with you (convincing my mate was no good and he eventually bought a bike where the guy had the 2007 receipt!!).

I was just curious if Specialized only did stickers This post was purely getting me thinking if Specialized are all stickers then it makes it a big joke. It’s never been something we have checked on bikes we have bought if the seller/advert looks genuine we are happy

kcal

Several Specialized bikes here, I’ll have a look, but my M2s are stamped, under BB IIRC.
    Will check Mrs kcal’s slightly more recent Rockhopper and kcal no.2’s Myka, not sure now!

njee20
    Free Member

Stickers on Spesh bikes is very recent. They were under the BB shell until 2008, when they moved them behind the seat tube on Stumpy FSRs, then moved them back, latterly they’re stickers under the downtube. Under the lacquer though aren’t they? Never seen one come off.

snakeysnuggles
    Free Member

Cheers. Curiousty satisfied.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Bike frame numbers’ is closed to new replies.