Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Bike frame and fork in USA – Cheapest way to ship it back to UK
  • munro
    Free Member

I’ve got an option on a lovely Salsa frame from my mate in the USA – what’s the cheapest way to get it back to the UK (aside from in someone’s suitcase).
    Cheers

granny_ring

Have you factored in import duty, VAT and handling charges to the mix?
    Cant help with which carrier but can you post up on here who you go with in the end.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

USPS global priority. Should be about $75 tracked, +VAT, import duty and handling fee. It takes less than aweek to get to UK customs where it will stay for another couple.
    There are size restrictions; length + girth must be less than 108″ (from memory) but even an XL frame will fit.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Why the VAT if his mate just gave it to the OP?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Way the VAT? It will have a declared value which will have import duty applied and then VAT. If it’s used then you will need proof and it will still have a value.

tomhoward

Apologies for the hijack, but if the thing one is importing is something we don’t pay vat on here (a helmet, as you are asking), do I have to pay it if it comes from the USA?

mikewsmith
    Free Member
    tomhoward

Cool, ta! As I thought, nothing to pay 😀

munro
    Free Member

Thanks for the imput – I’ll give it a whirl (it’s second hand and nearly a gift so VAT-less IMO).

Ta again

mikewsmith
    Free Member

In terms of Value your opinion is worth sweet FA, just to make you aware. You may need some further evidence to prove it’s used & worthless. Gifts still need a value attached and will be taxed accordingly (the catch 22 is that if you insure it for replacement that is a handy value for tax purposes)

Tracker1972
    Free Member

I could see it being a tricky argument to hold up,
    “It’s worthless so no duty/VAT thankyou!”

“So why did you bother having it shipped over then?”

Sentimental value, for a bike that belongs/ed to someone else?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Bike frame and fork in USA – Cheapest way to ship it back to UK’ is closed to new replies.