Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Bike for xc racing and marathons
  • Clink

Done a few xc races locally on my ss and enjoyed them. I did the Manx 100 in the summer but didn’t complete (largely due to th appalling weather) and have sun entry again for next year, I also fancy doing dome of the Scott marathon series. I’m finally giving in to the idea of a geared bike, but can’t decide on carbon 29er hardtail or a full sus. Anthem would be obvious but good deals on 27.5 Anthems on Pauls.

So – what’s the standard marathon/race bike at the moment? Are carbon hardtails like Whyte or Scott really any more confortable than my alu Superfly ss (which is ok tbh)?

adsh
    Free Member

Did the Manx 100 on a Whyte 29C with bendy carbon post and 2.25s. Found it pretty comfy for 13+hours. If I do it again I’ll probably use the same bike even though I have a Spearfish FS.

For marathon and long distance HT, 29er is a must IMHO – same really in FS I think.

johnnystorm

I sold my Spearfish after doing 24hr events on a carbon, then a Ti hardtail and not feeling like I was any worse off.

Kryton57
    tang
    Free Member

i would be considering a spesh epic or scott spark. I have a felt nine 1 ht frame which has been pretty good.

Clink

Thanks for the replies. Currently eyeing up a deal on a carbon Spearfish frame…

Wally

Clink, if you can email me some details.

ben98
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a Titus Rockstar (available in carbon and alloy), can’t comment on it yet as its scurried away for Christmas, but either way its a bargain 😀

fudge9202
    Free Member

I have a Spearfish and love it plan to do some longer endurance/XC event on it, think it will be perfect.

Wally

Titus rockstar only in small?

adsh
    Free Member

ps the spearfish is great – love mine. Only reason I said I’d use my HT again on the Manx 100 is the near 5,000m of climbing.

Clink

Didn’t notice any climbing…?!? (Think the rain and 40mph winds took my mind off it!!)

nant
    Free Member

I thought the rockstar had issues with loads of pedals strikes due to a low bb?

Spearfish I have often pondered over!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

At the moment I’m just past they year for my Rocky Mtn Element, done 2×4 day races on it, one 2 day stage race and a team 24. For me I don’t think I could do the distance/hours HT and walk away comfortably, certainly not back it up the next day. 100mm 29r FS, much more capable that I can get it round, very good down despite the angles if you ride it well and tough to go with it.
    Full lock out front and rear make a big difference.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Bike for xc racing and marathons’ is closed to new replies.