Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Bike for the Mrs – recommendations ?
  • muddymickey
    Free Member

Hi all

Looking to get my other half a bike, not sure where to start really so wondered if anyone has any advice….

Firstly, is there much advantage in getting a bike that’s targetted specifically at women ?

I got myself a Voodoo Bizango this year; was after something of similar spec for around the £500-600ish mark.
    Will mainly be used on easy trails and family rides, nothing extreme.

Saw a Voodoo Soukri (sp?), which is for women, but thought the spec looked a bit lower – also would prefer just twin chainring like mine, rather than triple.

Any opinions welcome….ta!

kilo

My wife just rides “men’s” mountain bikes, and indeed road, cx and tt bikes, with no problems and the only tweak is a woman’s saddle. Women specific bikes always seem a bit of a rip off, as you say lower spec same price

cinnamon_girl

As always Classifieds is your friend. Depending on her height she may not need women-specific. Don’t dismiss a triple, I’m still rocking them as it helped with climbing. Pay attention to the weight and bear in mind that wheels can always be upgraded, also opportunity for you to upgrade by passing on components.

jkomo

Be generous. Think how nice it would be for her to hit the trails with a bike as good as yours, not some cheapo bike.
    It would make her realise you are serious about her joining you in your much loved hobby.
    Give her your bike. Buy yourself something awesome!

tomhoward

My good lady rides a Banshee Rune, Trek Top Fuel and a rockhopper. All ‘men’s’ bikes, depends on what her vital statistics dimensions are really

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

The Laura Trott hybrid looks pretty good, was ~£350 in the Halfords summer sale not so long ago.

frankconway

If you’re in or near west yorkshire……..my partner has an on-one inbred with 26″ wheels; it’s a 16″ frame size so good for upto about 5’7″; bike is in her garage in halifax.

Covered no more than 350 miles; full SLX groups (triple) with hydraulic discs; frame is ketchup red.

Drop me an email if you’re interested – I’m sure we could agree a price; address is in my profile.

muddymickey
    Free Member

Thanks all.

Just stumbled over this – Specialized Jett Comp (Womens) 29er 2017.

https://www.evanscycles.com/specialized-jett-comp-29-2017-womens-mountain-bike-EV279805

Looks (to my not *that* trained eye) to be a reasonable spec, plus think I can get a bit of discount through a work scheme. 29er with twin speed.

Thoughts on it ?

blakec
    Free Member

Just be careful with the jett friend bought one only to find out after the first ride her foot catches on the front wheel when she was turning. Though that was a 2016 model they may have sorted out the geometry. Pretty sure Evans do test rides

frankconway

No weight listed; suggest you check that out.
    How tall is your ‘other half’? One school of thought is that 29ers aren’t suitable for rider less than about 5’8″ – don’t know if that’s right or wrong.
    Best to arrange test ride at your nearest Evans store.
    Lots of potential to upgrade; alternatively, use eBay – you should find better spec & better vfm but will be some trade-offs like cosmetic defects etc.
    You could also check out the ‘recycled’ options on Chain Reaction – recycled in search box and click enter; Winstanley’s – do similar; Evans – ex demo and ex display section.
    You’ll find a great deal somewhere – just search.
    Bike Discount (online only, from Germany) are worth 10mins of your time.
    Sort out what you want, your budget and what size/spec you’re after then – search, search, search………….

duncancallum

My oh just got a Saracen mantra trail for 550 from tweets. Last year’s model. 2×10 clutch mech etc

Lot of bike for the cash

meandyuk

Did you buy the specialized jett 2017? i’ve been offered one but i can’t find any reviews/pics of the latest model.

Cheers

matt_outandabout

Fit is really important – buy the bike that she likes and fits, not the best deal IMO.
    A better fitting, lighter bike will mean a much happier wife.
    Mrs_oab was converted to MTB the day we dumped 30lbs of old, ill fitting Orange Clockwork for a light, nippy Cannondale second hand. She rode that for 12 years.
    Her latest bike is a Trek Superfly, again fitted properly with a light, nippy character.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/laura-trott-mtb-1-womens-moutain-bike

£390 before any BC or cashback discount for Raidon fork, 1×11 and hydraulic brakes. 😯

Probably the best value bike under £500 currently by a country mile, worth buying for a bloke if geometry fits and swap the saddle.

MoreCashThanDash

That Laura Trotter bike looks amazing value.

MrsMC is petite and has a 26″ wheeled Pinnacle Kauri. Interesting that more bikes for ladies and kids are going 1x, presumably weight as well as simplicity.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Bike for the Mrs – recommendations ?’ is closed to new replies.