• This topic has 16 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by paton.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Bike for the Mrs
  • crazyjenkins01

Looking at getting MrsCrazy a bike on C2W once my current one ends (this month I think). Only needed so we can go out as a family with the boy in a seat on the back of mine and girl on her own.
    Looking for a HT for gentle bimbles but not a BSO POS. Currently considering a Whyte 802 or a Voodoo Bizango simply because she can try for size.

Any other recommendations from you learned people???…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Bought the good lady a B’twin rockrider 540 from decathlon last month, she loves it, and tbh I’m pleasantly surprised at the kit on it, fork and brakes very good indeed.

T’was 350 quid.

crazyjenkins01

I have considered decathlon but I’m a bit wary about buying without trying the size, especially as if I do it on C2W. Might have to have another little look though.

km79
    Free Member

I have considered decathlon but I’m a bit wary about buying without trying the size, especially as if I do it on C2W. Might have to have another little look though.

Visit Decathlon and try the bikes around the store? Or does yours not have any in? My nearest has rows of them in all different sizes.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Exactly, one of the few places she’ll actually be able to ride the thing around before buying. It’s perfect, the staff even do it after setting gears etc…

crazyjenkins01

No can do, nearest store is Poole and I live in Plymouth so a fair old trek!

matt_outandabout

What other local LBS bike brands do you have?

Looking for a HT for gentle bimbles but not a BSO POS

Buy secondhand.
    Unless mrs_crazyhenkins is on higher tax, the lower the purchase price, the lower the savings.
    Having just bought a £1.6k bike in sale for £1k, C2W could not get close. By the time I added a C2W fee and worked out the (lower tax bracket) savings, it was cheaper to just get 0% credit card.
    For under £500, I would pop up a wanted classifieds advert. For example, I am about to sell or break up a Sanderson Breath, XT/XTR 9 speed, Hope hubs, Magura MT2 brakes and Fox F120 bolt through. I will be lucky to get £200 for it as it does need new drivetrain.
    A better condition, lower spec bike should be £2-300 second hand.

crazyjenkins01

Good point Matt, obviously the savings wont be as good. Difference is though, “installment” payments.
    My main avenues for LBS supply Santa Cruz, Giant, Whyte and a shop with niche brands, with Halfords and Evans as chains.

matt_outandabout

Difference is though, “installment” payments.

I just make a monthly payment onto my 0% credit card…

austen

I reckon a used bike would be the way to go. I built up a nice bike for the other half (1×9 XT, rigid Kona fork, XC wheels) for buttons built around a nice Giant XTC frame from here that cost me £40. It’s very light and the only complaint so far has been the wide bars which were quick to cut down.

All of the bikes you mention above are way OTT for pootling around with the family.

MoreCashThanDash

For bimbling, MrsMC has a Pinnacle Kauri from Evans. Intended to be a kids 26er but brilliant value/weight for the money if you are short enough.

crazyjenkins01

I see what you mean about overkill but was thinking of something to give her the option of upping her game later on if the fancy takes her. Not sure about the build route (although I’d like to give it a try at some point) as I’ve never done it, and I’m only slowly talking her round that a bike for her is a good idea!
    I take my little girl on a couple of blue routes at Lanhydrock (NT) which is mostly flat as she’s only 5. So was thinking of something that could handle that for Mrs. with the option of her trying a bit more gnar if she wants to/enjoys herself enough.

epicsteve
    Free Member

My wife has 3 bikes – an On-One Inbred that I built for her using stuff I have lying around (pretty decent spec e.g. Fox forks, Hope wheels and mostly XT drivetrain), a alu road bike that’s also decent spec – mostly 105 with some Ultegra and a cheapo Btwin £200 quid folding bike. Guess which one she prefers!

Yes it’s the cheap folder although I think it’s not really as much about the bike itself but more about the type of rides we use that one for e.g. low speed, relatively short distance stuff mostly on the flat and in good weather. I think the simplicity of the bike also helps – just a single twist-grip shifter.

BigJohn

I bought Mrs BigJohn a Giant Dirt-e last month. Totally transformed our riding together (for the better).

It feels like a lot of money at first but we can go out together and I can do the trails or roads that I would do on my own, at the same speeds and for the same duration, and we’re doing them together.

On road I ride a nice carbon Pinarello and she has no problem keeping up, but she is getting a bit fed up with waiting for me at the top of hills.

rOcKeTdOg

Bike for the Mrs

Sounds like a fair swap if its + cash

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Bike for the Mrs’ is closed to new replies.