• This topic has 16 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by 5lab.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Bike for Tall Person – 6 Foot 9
  • alewater
    Free Member

Hi all,

I was recommended to ask here by my biking friends.

Basically, I’m just about to start a new job which is only 6 miles away from home and I want to bike there. Most summers I go for a couple of bike rides around the local lakes (renting a bike). I personally don’t like racers, so I’m looking for either a mountain or hybrid bike.

Now here’s the tricky bit, I’m 6 foot 9 and in proportion, inside leg of 38inches and I have no idea on where to get a bike that fits or even what questions I need to ask.

As I’m going to be using it everyday in the summer months I need something comfortable. Price wise, hmmm no idea, to be honest the cheaper the better.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

thanks
    alex

GW
    Free Member

What ever you like, Sir 😳

Janesy
    Free Member

29er for sure.

ton

a bike that big will not be cheap.
    ventana do a xxl frame that is suitable, as do turner and lenz.
    be prepared to flex you credit card tho.

racefaceec90

was going to recommend getting a bike custom made to your specifications.unfortunately that is going to be a more expensive route (but it would be made to measure for you)

MSP

Spesh stumpjumper 29er 23″ inch frame would probably work.

or this

Juan Christen’s Santa Cruz Tallboy

alewater
    Free Member

my friends recommended a 29er.

are there any bikes that have longer frame that I could raise the seat and handlebars on?

how much we talking?

Thanks again
    alex

qwerty
    Free Member

Specialized go up to 23″ frames but don’t expect a dealer to get one in for you to try out.

clubber
    Free Member

It doesn’t have to be a 29er – those will just look more in proportion rather than actually suit tall people any better and limiting yourself to a 29er will significantly limit your choice if you’re looking at the lower end of the price range.

I actually don’t think you’ll have too much trouble. Amongst others, Specialized, Trek and Giant all do 23″ mtbs which should fit just fine unless you’re really unusually proportioned and without having to spend silly money though it’s unlikely that many shops will carry them in stock so they’d have to order one in.

For example: http://www.cyclesuk.com/product/Hardrock_2011_Mountain_Bike_9111-7723-1

ahwiles
    Free Member

i’m only 6’2″ – but i’ve got a 36″ inside leg.

i ride a 20″ frame, and typically use short stems to keep the reach comfortable.

i reckon you’ll probably be fine on a 22″ frame. (2 more inches of leg, 2 more inches of frame)

i doubt you’ll need a bike with 29″ wheels, but they do look nicer when the saddle is at ‘our’ height.

bigjim

I’m just under 6’5″ and only ride a large Giant, the XLarge was just huge. Try a few XLarge bikes in a shop – with the seat up and perhaps a slightly longer/higher stem I think you’ll be OK. You can get pretty long seatposts if the one on the bike is too short, but I don’t think it will be.

I don’t see any advantage at all in a 29er except from a distance you might look a bit smaller!

A good bike shop will help you out.

MrTall
    Free Member

6’7″ here with 39/40″ inside leg and ride a variety of bikes (mostly 29er now). I have 29ers in 21/22/23/24″ sizes but also still ride my old 26″ commuterised Specialized Hardrock which is a 21″ (they come in 23″ though as well). I wouldn’t say it fits as well as my 29ers do but then i’ve ridden more miles on the Hardrock (over 8000) than all my other bikes put together so it’s more than acceptable. If cheap is the main consideration that’s where i’d put my money.

Hardrocks can be found pretty cheap either new or 2nd hand (although you may have to be patient on Ebay waiting for a 23″) and you can always tweek stem/bars/seatposts as required for not much outlay.

ajr
    Free Member

I have supplied two customers one 6’10” the other 6’9″ with 29er Ventana bikes. Frame size up to 25″ are a factory stock size.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Cannodale sizes up big

I’m 6’3″ and the XL Jekyll (2005) was too big for me

however frame is up for sale quite cheap if you are interested

XL Gary Fisher should also be OK, I ride a large in their 29ers

molgrips
    Free Member

Go for a hybrid – if you are not going to MTB on it then why get an MTB?

bigjim

Go for a hybrid

29er is a hybrid no? 😮

5lab

kona do 22″ frames in both 29er and regular wheel sizes, and they have quite a lot of bikes in the lower price range.

I’m 6’3 and ride a 17″ frame for xc. I need a long seatpost, but I find it works fine. I think a 22″ frame should be plenty for someone of your height

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Bike for Tall Person – 6 Foot 9’ is closed to new replies.