Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Bike for PDS… errrrrm oh…. i thought you had a Bionicon ?
  • weeksy

So i bought the Bionicon for PDS…. However…sold it… LOL.

Got a decent price, but a lesson of £150 learned, try before you buy… As earlier, i just didn’t get along with the bike at all. We were never friends and the Giant 29er was always my ‘go-to- bike whenever i was heading out for a ride. It was slightly too small and i prefer the geometry of a XC style bike.

I’ve now got a fooking dilema in the fact i don’t have a bike for Passportes Du Soleil in 10 days time lol hahahahahaha

Well i do… but it’s the Giant XTC 29er !!!!

How bright/bad an idea then guys…? i know we’ve done this sort of thing before…but i need this advice quickly and thought out a bit too please lol.

The best 29er tyres i can seem to find are either Nobby Nics or maybe Maxxis Ardent ? Not sure i can get DH tubes….

Option 2, which is becoming quite tempting is to hire one …. (sent a couple of emails)

Now, taking into account i truely adore my 29er… it’s my best buddy… is it a bright idea ?

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Just go for it on the 29er, and feel smug as you blaze past the stormtroopers pushing up hill.

Unless you seek it out, there is nothing more radical on the PpDS route than your average trail centre. It’s just that the downhills are longer.

flap_jack
    Free Member

Use the Giant but stick some big tyres on it. It’ll be ace.

specialknees
    Free Member

Done it on various bikes including hard-tail and will be on one (456 actually) this year. Its not the bike its the rider.
    OK more comfy but no faster on a bouncer, its not proper D/H. If you have been before you know the score, you will indeed look very smug and enjoy it more on an XC orientated bike.

lister11
    Free Member

29er Hans damps would be good.

flap_jack
    Free Member

First time in PdS I had a GT Zaskar, V brakes, 70mm fork, 160mm stem, 1.95 tyres. Lived to tell the tale…

specialknees
    Free Member

Its all about confidence, if your XTC gives you that dont think twice. As you said its your ‘Buddy’ and you know it will look after you.
    Spend the Bionicon money on beer in Les Gets instead of buying a bike, much more sensible.! Might let you buy me one.
    Seriously use the 29er and have a blast.

weeksy

RIght lads… based upon all that…. Find me some rubber and tubes please.

Bike needs nothing apart from that.

BrickMan

Just bought a pair (of fronts, but they review better than the rears) of Fat Alberts, 2.4″, tubeless ready, light enough for £30/pair from on-one posted! ace! Couldn’t even buy 2/3 of one local for that price.

29er, there are loads of tyres of on-one for cheaps

gsp1984
    Free Member

The organisers themselves recommend a 140mm light trail bike in the zesty 514.

cookeaa

go to http://www.nextdaytyres.com/ and browse…

singlespeedstu

If you can get your hands on a pair of WTB Dissents or Stouts i’d go for them.
    Very thick casings and grip like shit to a blanket.
    If not 2.4 Ardent with EXO casing.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

First time in PdS I had a GT Zaskar, V brakes, 70mm fork, 160mm stem, 1.95 tyres. Lived to tell the tale…

70mm fork? Munqe Chick’s first time was on a steel Lava Dome with Pace RC35s on the front, 48mm of elastomer-sprung flexible fun. Actually, they seized up after the first day, I took the lowers off to find she’d ground the elastomers to dust…

I must say 160mm stem FTW though 😯

weeksy

Well i’ve gone for a set of Hans DAmpf 2.35’s and am also now debating a Cane Creek Thudbuster..LOL. They seem to work… but it’s a little excessive for just 3 days riding…

Spent an hour today making the Giant 100% and checking everything.

Going to take it out for a wee blast now for some fun.

flap_jack
    Free Member

the forks were RC36s. I bought the 90mm upgrade when I got home. The same bike now has a 50mm stem 😀

weeksy

I’ve just canned the Camber deal and am sticking with my Giant XTC.

I have just pulled the pin and bought it some new wheels, slightly lighter, but stronger and also spares for trip to Morzine next week.

Went for the WTB LAserdic as they were on a tremendously good price and good write ups.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=49083

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=49084

Clink

Trailstar Hans Dampf are ace – good choice.

thomthumb
    Free Member

you got big rotors on it? you might want em.

weeksy

180 both F/R.

I was debating going for a 200/205 on the front, but not sure i’m really worth it. I’ve got Formula K18’s on there which i adore 🙂

IA

First time I rode PdS trails was in 01 IIRC, vee brake on the back, cable disc up front, 100mm forks and that was a fairly freeride hardtail at the time 😉

You’ll be fine on the XtC.

gsp1984
    Free Member

I was debating going for a 200/205 on the front, but not sure i’m really worth it.

Not worth it because you don’t go fast enough?… or not worth it because you go fast and don’t use the breaks.

To go slow I understand you have to use the brakes ALOT… then you need the 203s to keep cool

weeksy

Not worth it because you don’t go fast enough?… or not worth it because you go fast and don’t use the breaks.

To go slow I understand you have to use the brakes ALOT… then you need the 203s to keep cool

Not worth it because i don’t think i’ll be going fast enough. Of course, i have sod all idea though as i’ve never been over lol.

gsp1984
    Free Member

If your going fast your not using the brake… if your going slow, then your having to use the brake ALOT so need the bigger brakes… thats what I have been told, and as I plan on going slow I need all the brakes I can get :p

batfink
    Free Member

Yep…. if you completely release the brakes on some sections you pick up speed at an allarming rate – particularly the run down into Champery. Unless you want to go at about 50mph, you’ll be on the brakes pretty much for that whole run

weeksy

Ahhhh. You’re making the mistake lads…

I’m taking the XC hardtail… i’m riding UP the hills and taking the lifts back DOWN !!!

weeksy

In all seriousness, am i now spending money on a 200 adaptor and rotor ?

binners

Oh here we go. The ‘I’ve ridden it on a rigid hardtail singlespeed’ nonsense. I’m sure if you put your mind to it, you could run a marathon in a pair of clogs. I wouldn’t imagine it’d be much fun though

Horses for courses, innit? I imagine you’re going to actually enjoy the experience. Its a long way to travel, and a lot of money to spend for some sort of festival of macho bullshit masochism

Its a long day in the saddle. When we did it we saw literally a handful of hardtails. Theres a very good reason for this. You’re arse will hate you! You’ll feel like Mr Big and his mates have had you in the showers

If it was me, I’d go for 140mm each end, and big brake discs. You’ll cook them. My XT’s were coming back to the bars by the end of the day. Bank on a set of pads for each end, per day too

If you can hire a bike, then why not?

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Get the bigger disc. Get some suitable pads too. I’d buy organics.

weeksy

225 Euros to hire one matey. That’s for 3 days.

It would be cheaper to put in a silly offer for the Yeti on here and sell it when i get back.

BTW, i’m not doing this as some sort of macho ego trip. I simply didn’t like the Bionicon and didn’t wanna ride it.

weeksy

Binners,

Take into account that places like Afan are at my levels of speed and ability. Don’t think for a second me and the lads will be taking on any proper DH tracks, it’s simply not going to happen.

binners

I bet you have a crack at some of the stuff. Its rude not too. As people have said, some of the stuff is pretty damn fast. If you’re taking the hardtail, then shove the biggest discs you can on it, and order a job lot of Superstar Kevlar pads. At the end of the day, whatever you’re riding, PDS is really good fun. Enjoy it! 😀

weeksy

I’ve got a pile of Sintereds here…. i assume i’m wanting the KEvlars then for heat dissipation ?

If i wanna do some insane stuff i can crash my mates Zesty 😉

batfink
    Free Member

Hi Weeksy

I did it last year (for the first time) and took my Rose Granite Chief: Beefy “AM” bike with 150mm Revelations, 203(?) rotors front and back, 3×10 drivetrain, and 2.4 Nobby Nics front and back. Felt pretty much ideal for the event and my ability. Didn’t really need the 3×10, but thats what came on the bike 🙂

This year I’ve made a few changes:
    Reverb
    Wider bars
    Shorter stem
    Might change the tyres depending on the weather

As binners said – you maybe see a handfull of whippet-like people on hardtails the whole day and that doesn’t look like much fun at all, but each to their own.

My mate is hiring one of these Link….. seems pretty reasonable, but I guess that depends on the cost of PPDS specific upgrades

weeksy

My mate is hiring one of these Link….. seems pretty reasonable, but I guess that depends on the cost of PPDS specific upgrade

they’re all out.

weeksy

Oh dear… i think i’ve just bought a new bike hahahahahahaha.

batfink
    Free Member

Nice one….. it seemed like the only logical solution. What’d you go for?

weeksy

Let you know once blokey comes back 100% we’re doing the deal tonight…. i’ve then got to test it tomorrow lol. Hopefully it won’t be for sale by tomorrow evening.

weeksy

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH NOOOOOOOOOO

The bike i was buying has fallen through hahahahahaha.

BAck to the 29er.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Bike for PDS… errrrrm oh…. i thought you had a Bionicon ?’ is closed to new replies.