Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • bike for nephew & london bike shops
  • mustard
    Free Member

My big sis has asked me for advice on a bike for my nephew. He’s four and a half but she says he’s probably the size of a five year old.

They want something lighter than the Ben Ten one they got him seven months so they can teach him to ride without stabilisers.

From a quick search it looks like Islabikes, Ridgeback, Specialized and Cube are what get the nod mostly, is that still the case? I’m guessing Beinn 20 small, MX20, Hotrock 20 and the kid 200 respectivly, presumably he’ll grow out of anything smaller too quickly?

Do Islabikes still hold their value the best of all those options? I’m not sure it will be too much of a consideration as it will probably get passed down to my niece in time, but good to know anyway.

Any recommendations for a decent bike shop to buy it in would be appreciated too, they live in Highgate? It looks like Camden Cycle Surgery would be a good option as they have all the above except Islabikes…

Cheers

mustard
    Free Member

little bump since I posted this at a bad time of day 🙂

uwe-r
    Free Member

We have a smaller ridgeback, its very well made but it is disappointingly heavy. from the trawling around we did they are all heavy for what they are.

Bregante

I’d get on eBay for a second hand islabike. They tend to be bought by cyclists for their kids and are more likely to have been looked after. When the youngster grows out of it, they’ll get back pretty much what they paid.

mustard
    Free Member

Thanks, will pass that all on.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If in London, CycleSurgery in West Hampstead is the best place to look for kid’s bikes. They’re very good at it up there!

geoffj

You won’t go wrong with any of the ones you mention.
    We’ve had ridgeback and specialized here – no complaints with either.
    Islabikes are nice but not worth the premium IMHO

mudpup
    Free Member

20inch wheel is too big for a 5yr old.
    Its more like a 7 yr old size.

tomtomthepipersson

As above – didn’t see any point in paying a premium for an islabike so bought my 4.5 yr old a ridgeback mx16. Paid about 50 quid for an almost immaculate one. Seems very well put together. And my son loves it – which is the most important thing.

geoffj

20inch wheel is too big for a 5yr old.
    Its more like a 7 yr old size.

Depends on the kid. My average height 5 yr old daughter has been on a 20″ hotrock since just after she turned 5.

mustard
    Free Member

Cool, I’ll direct them towards West Hampstead, the Islabikes website and evilbay.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘bike for nephew & london bike shops’ is closed to new replies.