• This topic has 19 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by ks562.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Bike for my missus – s/h, new, or build?
  • nikk
    Free Member

Looking for help here. Thinking of getting a bike for my missus for xmas. I want to build it on a MTB frame, but it will be more ‘all road’ than MTB.

26″ wheels (I have Super Moto tyres for it)
    Disc brakes
    Rigid ok
    Medium aluminium frame, light as possible
    1×10

I want to keep the budget reasonable, she doesn’t use bikes that much, but I want to get her something better than she has right now (old Raleigh ‘ladies’ bike).

I am not scared of building from scratch, or swapping parts, servicing etc.

What is the best way to do this? I initially thought get a reasonable s/h bike, then swap out a few bits and give it a good service. But then I look, and reasonable bikes (Say Specialized Myca) don’t seem to be much cheaper than their new price.

So I look at new bikes, but know they are going to be heavy lumps with not good forks in that price range (£450 odd).

So then I think about building one up from scratch, but can’t even find any decent frames to start with!

Help!

alanl
    Free Member

If she is small, and you can collect from Loughboro, this one seems decent:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131293486865

nikk
    Free Member

Thanks! That is too far, I am in Edinburgh.

Will it need to be a woman specific frame?

6079smithw
    Free Member

If you’re after a cheap new frame maybe one of these
    http://www.bike-discount.de/en/shop/women-s-hardtail-9001/l-24

6079smithw
    Free Member

Diesn’t look like you can get those here actually.
    But if you can stretch your budget a bit for a brand new bike, this isn’t bad
    http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s163p5197/CANNONDALE-TRAIL-SL-3-WOMENS-2013

rankbadjin
    Free Member

Nikk, I’ve got a couple of 15″ frames here in good condition and a stack of spares,also have a giant full susser used once since new if they’d be of any use to you. Only across the bridge in Kirkcaldy too, e mail acidsnowatrocketmaildotcom if I can help with further details
    Cheers
    Steven

matther01
    Free Member

IME I’d buy S/H as if she doesn’t take to it, it won’t cost you a small fortune trying to sell a new bike for half of what you bought it for!

paladin

I built up a merlin malt2 with rigid forks for a few hundred. Nice light bike. Mostly 2nd hand, but new cassette, derraileur and chainring.

cookeaa

TBH it soundslike she’ll be getting the classic “My other half is into MTBs” womens bike for riding to the shops and work, boutique frame overspecced parts, probably not all that comfortable for what she wants…

If she’s not really all that into bikes, really just wants something mostly as transport then you are probably just better off lowering your sights for a shop bought bike from a Spesh Myka to a carrera Hybrid or an MTB and fitting some better slicks for her…

basic but would do the job and could be upgraded later if she wanted

slightly pricier MTB also basic but upgradable

Both well inside budget, so new tyres (rather than using your old cast-offs), maybe a pair of deore brakes if you like? and see how she gets on with that as a starter…

somouk
    Free Member

I built the mrs a full sus womens specific giant frame up that I had from the classifieds here with parts I bought mostly from the classifieds pretty cheap.

It’s an excellent bike and she did ride it a couple of times last summer but didn’t seem bothered this year, will no doubt end up selling it if it doesn’t get ridden next year.

chestrockwell

We got a new Orange Diva frame in the sales (£150 iir) for our lass a few years back then built it up with the parts from one of my bikes. Add a new saddle, inline post and purple peddles and she is very happy with it, although it gets little use. 🙄

I then had a spare frame that needed building up with better parts. 😉

Yak

Definitely build up. But once you’ve sourced the bits and are happy that they are in good condition, get your missus to build it herself. That way she will know how to maintain/ fix it when she’s miles from home by herself and it’s all gone wrong.

Keep checking the classifieds, or post a wanted ad for the bits. Stuff will come quick enough. (As above – offers already!)

cookeaa

Seems to be a recurring theme here, build up “Awesome” bike for the missus, gets ridden a handful of times, left in the shed for a year then split and flog it off…

From what was described in your first post I’d honestly go with the Subway 1 that I linked, get her some decent stoppers and think about replacing those Kenda tyres (but you’ll have a bit of time to think about that)… just go to your local Halfrauds and have a look at one the frame won’t be a million miles different from a fancier brand asking twice the price…

The Gears don’t matter, why does she need 1×10 exactly? there should be a usable range for her from a 3×8 setup, Altus will be heavy, clunky, and plenty durable for what she needs, why piss money away when she won’t appreciate the actual difference and it might not actually suit her any better?

nickjb
    Free Member

I’d say the frame is the least critical bit for that sort of build. Forks that actually work, slick gears, comfy saddle, not too heavy. That’s assuming the plan is not to go mountain biking on it. If you have any plans to get her into mountain biking then full suss is the way to go.

I built the wife a bike up from bits. Probably cost under £100 but a lot of bits came from the spares box. She enjoyed it so I built her a better one, probably around £300 (Marin East Peak FS frame, Revelations, Deore/LX mix so pretty decent). We’ve now done a few trips to Morzine and regularly do the trail centres and local bridleways.

catvet
    Free Member

Cotic soul for sale
    Small re powder coated frame
    Pics and specs

Phwill77 at g mail dot com

kayla1
    Free Member

I’ve got a medium (16″) women’s spec 26″ GT Avalanche frame, seatpost and Velo saddle spare if that’s any good, and I’ve also got a pair of 2×8 X4 trigger shifters and a SRAM 8spd cassette spare. Actually, thinking about it, I’ve got the frame, seatpost, saddle, BB and 3x crankset for that bike, with the SRAM shifters from another bike if that’s any use.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Thinking of getting a bike for my missus for xmas.

Are you sure she actually wants a bike for xmas? Especially a £450 one?? 😀

AlasdairMc

I’d suggest something single speed, perhaps rigid forks, with ice spiker tyres. That way if she doesn’t like it, you can ride it at the Puffer instead… 😉

tomaso
    Free Member

Bought the Mrs a MTB “for Xmas” to replace the one that got pinched last year. She really liked the Genesis as it was light and everything on it worked well and I thought she would like to have something like that again. However, she was not wowed at the arrival of a second hand Voodoo Bizango – I’d rather of bought a new coat… But then she rode it!

ks562
    Free Member

As the women who has had the bike for xmas from the other half and is now mad keen the most important things for me when starting out was a lightish bike, working forks and smooth shifting. The best thing which kept me going was lots of encouragement and patience out on the trails.

If you’re interested I’m selling my first bike – medium Specialized Hardrock disc 2012 with upgraded forks, wheels, cranks and bottom bracket. Based in Stirling. email katherineDOTsimpsonAThotmailDOTcoDOTuk if you’re interested.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Bike for my missus – s/h, new, or build?’ is closed to new replies.