Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Bike for an 11 year old… Where to start ?
  • renton
    Free Member

My eldest lad has outgrown his bmx and he now wanting an mtb.

He is quite tall at five foot so ideally want to get something that will last him a few years without breaking the bank.

Any ideas on what to look at please.

Thanks.

P-Jay
    Free Member

With your Lad being so tall a small framed Adult bike is probably the right solution, first step I would say would be to visit a couple of shops and have a sit on some to see how they size up.

rockhopper70

I really like the hoy bonaly 26 disc they sell at evans.
    Simple and light.
    In the absence of sufficient tesco vouchers it was a bit pricey for me but seemed well put together.
    Genesis do a youth 26″ wheel in small, same idea.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

He might even just fit a 16″ on one frame with a bit of room for growing into (or a 14″)

globalti
    Free Member

Decathlon.

….and while you’re there, pick up one of their £20 track pumps as they are superb value and work really well.

wilburt
    Free Member

Get him on a medium adult bike, short stem and slammed seat.

It’ll be a stretch for 6 months then last him years and be worth something when you’ve finish,

Try to find one without a suspension fork if its for just general use.

akira

Don’t get him a medium sized adult bike, he’s 6″ shorter than the smallest size they’re usually designed for. It’ll be too long to ride easily and he’ll hate it.

cchris2lou

My 12 year old is a bit taller than yours and is riding a small Kinesis race light.

iainc

Our youngest, who is a large 9.5 is on a 13 inch frame 650B Genesis Core 20 and his small 13 yr old brother on a 15 inch 650B Cube Acid

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Bike for an 11 year old… Where to start ?’ is closed to new replies.