Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Bike for a VERY big guy, help!
  • tom84
    Free Member

Alright chappies?!

I have an American friend who has just survived blood clots in his heart and lungs, though very almost didn’t. He’s on blood thinning meds and has been told to be active. He has had been working himself into the ground, to get a phd, and to qualify to be able to stay in the country after his student visa runs out. this meant doing the work of two teachers, convening lecturer union meetings, exam boards, international conferences. He has no money, his dad bankrupted himself because he got sick and didn’t have medical insurance. He is the sweetest natured smartest guy and a bit of a hero to me. He is huge.

I reckon over 20stone, he makes ton look like kylie minogue. If i was to build him a bike on the cheap for around town, would it actually be able to take his weight?

I have a 456 frame and some spare disc and bars etc. I’d need to get wheels and cranks and tyres and (rigid) forks any recommendations for strong stuff that is regularly in the classifieds?

I just think of the saddle and seat post and think ‘oh dear’

Cheers

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Yes any regular bike would be fine. A heavy bloke riding a bike around town will probably exert fewer stresses on the bike than a considerably lighter rider ragging it to death off road.

bigsi
    Free Member

Being on the wrong side of 20 stone myself the biggest problem i would say he’ll have is bending the seat post. Go for one which has been ovalised inside such as Thomson or Nuke Proof as this will help stop this from happening.

He might pop spokes as well but if he gets some double butted spokes hand laced it will be worth it in the long run as the wheels will last longer.

Everything else should be fine IMO

Militant_biker

Hmmm. We had a large gentleman as a customer when I used to work in a mail order department of a large bicycle shop. We had sent him a ‘regular’700c hybrid bike, and much as he like it, he was killing parts on it. We ended up building him a set of touring rimmed wheels to take the strain of large guy + british tarmac.

So I’d say go for some sturdy hoops!

5thElefant
    Free Member

In my meat-head days I was pushing 19 stone. The only thing I ever had trouble with was wheels.

ton

thomson post and stem
    sapim super spoked wheels (available from spa cycles harrogate)
    shimano alivio c/set on sq taper bb
    avid bb7 brakes
    rigid or air forks (revs, pikes, bombers)
    cheap dh type bars (bombproof)
    dh tyres (tough as sidewalls)

tom84
    Free Member

excellent cheers

juiced
    Free Member

dh bars stem, big grips, big platformed flats ( spds?), an old style big jump bike saddle with cromo railings??

transporter13
    Free Member

If its any help….im 26 stone and just use regular kit with no issues

if you can though…try and get an aluminium frame as they normally have larger diameter seatposts i.e 30.9 and 31.6…they will be stronger than the 27.2 post that you’ll use on the 456. If a suspension fork is needed…an air marzocchi are good…something like a pair of drop offs or dirt jumpers etc

other than that, I wouldnt worry about what to use

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Bike for a VERY big guy, help!’ is closed to new replies.