Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Bike for a 4 year old
  • spooked
    Free Member

Hi guys,

My little girl is shortly going to be four. I wanted to get her a BMX type bike to see if she wanted to start riding.

She isn’t the most confident and the balance bike I bought her (might be because it was specialized and she is already a bike snob) has never been used. She just wouldn’t go on it however I’m hoping that now she is becoming a bit more adventurous she might want to try to use one.

It could well be the case that she just doesn’t want to ride but I feel like I should at least give her the option.

Does anyone have any recommendations on wheel size and bike type? I thought a bmx would be better than one with frozen or paw patrol all over it. However that might be a good idea to stimulate her to use it.

As usual I’m probably over thinking it but wanted to see what dadtrackworld might recommend.

Cheers 🙂

petrieboy

Is leaving the balance bike lying around the house an option? That way she might play with it of her own volition rather than it being a structured thing to go out and do?

chaos

14″ would be the size in the Isla bikes range, and the one that fitted our two at that age, so I expect that’s the one to go for this year, however if she’s quite tall for her age it might be a bit small next year.

Any younger siblings likely to inherit/planned? I’d suggest going for neutral colour so easier to pass on or resell rather than, like you say, something with Frozen all over it, or with pink tassels hanging off.

Isla / Frog have good resale value so don’t get too put off by price or the thought they may only last one year.

spooked
    Free Member

The balance bike has been left out since we bought it. It seems its primarily there for me to stub my toe on.

She is of average height and we have a little boy so I thought something neutral would be a good plan. Streamers and stickers could always be added I guess.

Its odd as she loves the weeride seat on my mtb but she is getting a bit big for that now.

Bream
    Free Member

My girl has just turned 4 and she loves her Frog 43 with 14″ wheels; she’s 116cm tall now. She learnt to ride it last year when she was tall enough to touch the floor with the saddle fully down. Was an easier step for her mind as she used her Rothan balance bike a lot before.

She’ll start when she ready, like most ladies 😆

Just remember that those ‘Frozen’ type bikes are often very heavy and have poor controls etc, at this age a lighter specalist type Frog bike will help her enjoy riding.

Daffy

Cnoc 14 or 16 dependent upon her size.

natrix
    Free Member

Another vote here for Islabike or Frog 🙂

Bream
    Free Member

Action shot 😀

brassneck

Genuine question – is buying a new bike likely to work, if she hasn’t used the balance bike at all?
    Cnoc or Frog would be my first choice buying new now, but my eldest got a 16″ HotRock on graduation to pedals and it didn’t slow him down any nor the 2 brothers following. They still ride it occasionally as coaster brake = awesome skids 🙂 .. if you’re anywhere near North Hants you’d be welcome to it.

(FWIW all my 3 used a Speccy Hotwalk, it was ace and indestructible and weight really isn’t an issue on the ‘leggy bike’ as one called it)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Belter.

MtbRoutes

The Early Rider Belter 16 is a beautiful thing. Knocks Isla into a cocked hat.

daddyoe
    Free Member

I just bought this for my nephews Birthday (he turned 5) – http://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/product/5609/2017-riprock-coaster-16/ . If he’d put his ipad down he might actually ride it more. Now the weathers warmer should be out on it

Harry_the_Spider

I would recommend a Ridgeback MX16. Because:

1) They are ace.
    2) They don’t cost The Earth but are well specced and nicely put together.
    3) I’ve got one for sale.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/ridgeback-mx16-kids-bike-1

ceept

Fashion is to get an Islabike, but IMO, if you want to get something she will find easier to ride, then look at the early rider range.

Where are you? If you want to encourage her to get on the balance bike, then can you arange to meet other parents with balance-bikers at a local skatepark, or pump track.

Initially, we spent alot of time at a couple of local skateparks as the smooth surface is idea for little wheels and learning to glide. Pump tracks (or “the bumpy path”) are the favourite place now though. Don’t take your own bike as she will need all your attention and will probably only ride for less than half an hour at a time.

I am eyeing up an early rider trail runner XL to replace our little balance bike (for a tall 2.5 year old). I know she could ride a pedal bike, but I think the small wheels and low ground clearance would hinder her when riding trails. Just need to figure out how to put a little disc brake on the back.

Pete

honourablegeorge

ISlabike was best decision I ever made – my 4 year old loved his, moved to pedalling straight away from balance bike, and a couple of months later he did a 13K ride along the river bank with me. The bie being light and confortable really made it easy for him – have been out riding with kids on heavy BSOs and they just haven’t ben able to enjoy themselves because theyve struggled on hills, etc.

Doesn’t have to be Isla, Frog, Hoy, Ridgeback and other brands have excelent light bikes, but Isla resale value is good, so you get a lot of your cash back, and some onther little one gets to enjoy the bike afterwards.

Harry_the_Spider

I still have a Ridgeback MX16 for sale…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Bike for a 4 year old’ is closed to new replies.