Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Bike for a 4 year old
  • Jerome
    Free Member

Been asked by a friend.
    Anyone ?
    What do I know with no kids.
    Stabilisers have been mentioned ?
    Kid is very big for 4 and pretty crazy with it.
    Cheers

Jerome

StirlingCrispin

Isla Bikes Cnoc 16.

Cnoc 16

Thread closed.

chriswilk
    Free Member

or if you want something slightly heavier, a lot cheaper and a lot less geeky looking (important for my kids) look at the Specialized Hotrock 16, or the Ridgeback, trek and scott ranges. Best value is probably the edinburgh bikes own brand, actually pretty good.

chappers
    Free Member

Cnoc 16 looks good. Height rather than age as well as price range would be better when deciding what bike to get. My kids have Trek MT60 20" wheel mountain bikes from 4/5 years, which seem pretty good. Not sure if you can get stabilisers though.

thesurfbus
    Free Member

Ridgeback MX16/Melody, my 3.5 and 5.5 year olds ride these, I wouldn't look at a 20" wheel until the are at least six.

radoggair
    Free Member

Judging by the kids at freeride park at Glentress then a 4 year old should be riding a full susser Kona with triple clamps and at least 180mm suspension either end. Also make sure its so heavy that pushing up cant happen and thats what dads for!! 😉

clunker

Another ISLA vote. Dont fit any crap and the brakes work!

Dekerf
    Free Member

My little girl has just turn 4 and i will be getting her a Spec Hotrock 16. Leant on the Hotwalk and needs to move up.

Been having a look around and the Hotrock seems best suited to the younger age, as it is smaller than a lot of rivals, which state 5-7 for a 16" wheeled bike.

docrobster
    Free Member

How much do you want to spend, given they will grow out of it in 18 months?
    Decathlon perfectly adequate for £70. Both my kids have learned on decathlon from 14inch with stabilizers through 16, 20 inch and now 24 inch. Well made, decent brakes, cheap enough to buy the right size at the time rather than one to grow into.
    comes with stabilizers you can remove by hand if not needed
    Isla obviously superior but worth £80 extra? granted will have second hand value

Jerome
    Free Member

Excellent – thanks for that.
    Decathlon looks good.
    Or second hand on the bay..
    Cheers
    J.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

My 4 year old has a Ridgeback Honey.Good little bike.

LD
    Free Member

Sorry to nick thread but do any of you have long fingured cycling gloves for your four year old bikers? Only one I can find with size guidnace is an Altura, but looks a bit bulky especially if they are a wee bit big.

On topic, I use a MX16 but only cause I got it cheap and needed it quickly. Would have gone for Islabikes otherwise.

chriswilk
    Free Member

LD – gloves,

my girls use cheap strechy wooly gloves from Primark or similar. They used to be called "magic" gloves in my day as one size fitted all.

Plenty good enough for what they do (which is sometimes a full day at Glentress or similar)

Can the kid ride without stabilisers?

If not, a balance bike would probably be better for him/her to learn on.

thesurfbus
    Free Member

You can get "Action Man" full fingered gloves for kids in Halfords, going to Decathlon this weekend so wil try and get something a bit more girly.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Bike for a 4 year old’ is closed to new replies.