Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Bike for 3.5 year old.
  • robbo1234biking

The little guy should be ready for his first proper bike soon. He has got a balance bike but keeps wanting to try pedals like daddy’s bike. With Xmas coming up (sorry for mentioning it) it would be an ideal time to get one for him. Trouble is what should I be looking at for him? Any suggestions over tire size etc? Don’t want to spend loads as he will grow out of it soon no doubt. Cheers

daern
    Free Member

Obvious answer first, I’m afraid:

Islabike Cnoc, depending on size (although if he’s tall, not the 20″ version as you might as well just buy a Beinn 20 for that!) Grab a used one for less than £200 (yes, I know it’s a lot), use it for a few months and then sell it again for more or less what you paid for it – you shouldn’t lose more than £20 and, tbh, if they keep raising the price of their new bikes, you might sell at a profit! I know they are expensive, but honestly, if you can afford the initial outlay, no other bike you buy (especially new) will work out as cheap.

Detailed sizing charts here:
    http://www.islabikes.co.uk/sizing-advice
    (be aware that while they are super accurate, they are also a little conservative. If you’re on the edge of the next size up, I’d always go bigger as a week’s worth of one extra weetabix at breakfast will usually have them grown an inch anyway 🙂 )

Facebook group for buying and selling Islabikes. I’ve bought and sold a few through here without a problem:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/826309394088435/
    (And obviously the Bay of Eees too, of course but expect to pay more there)

jam-bo

Couldn’t quite bring myself to spend islabike money. Frogbike is 95% as good and about 60% of the price

daern
    Free Member

Frogbike is 95% as good and about 60% of the price

…and 50% of the resale value 🙁

It’s a fair point though, not everyone wants to spend that money (which is fair, really), but I want to make the point again that you shouldn’t equate the purchase price of a bike, with the cost of owning it.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m selling a Pinnacle 16″ bike in great condition, stabilisers included if needed 🙂

As good as Islabike and cheaper! Looking for £100.

I want to make the point again that you shouldn’t equate the purchase price of a bike, with the cost of owning it

You also shouldn’t forget that not everyone has the spare cash to splash on an Islabike; even if they get some of it back it might be in many years’ time if they have multiple kids.

Hoff

Def. look at 2nd hand. We’ve just sold our Frog 43 for £150 which seems to be around the going rate (bought new for £240) was immaculate too. It was less than 12 months old before he outgrew it.

He’s currently on a used Isla Bike Cnoc 16, which we picked up for £150 & would expect to get the same for when we sell it. He’s also pretty much outgrown this since we bought it in May.

The Hoy range in Evans look ok too but they’re around the same price as the Frog’s

daern
    Free Member

You also shouldn’t forget that not everyone has the spare cash to splash on an Islabike; even if they get some of it back it might be in many years’ time if they have multiple kids.

No, I would not forget this for a minute and I fully appreciate that the economics of owning these bikes requires capital up front that not every would have (or want) to spend on kids bikes.

Just to give some idea of how it worked for us: We’ve had 4 Islabikes over the years, all bought new:

Beinn 20 Large – bought new for £250, sold for £220
    Beinn 20 Small – bought new for £250, sold for £220
    Beinn 24 – bought new for £350, sold for £310
    Creig 24 – bought new for £700, sold for £550
    (all sold fee free either to friends, or through Facebook. Any shipping charges were buyer paid, and not included here so these figures aren’t cheated in any way)

Most of these were helped greatly by Islabikes pushing their new prices up during our ownership, thus inflating the used prices at the same time. The Creig 24 obviously saw the greatest loss, but my son did 3,000 miles over two years on this bike and it kindled his love of mountain biking. Believe me, I don’t begrudge £75 a year for this 🙂

I would also recommend buying them used too, btw – their new prices are really too high now (£390 for a Beinn 20!) and there are loads out there on a really bouyant market.

anagallis_arvensis

I think the advantage of walking in a shop and having junior sit on a frogbike makes them more desirable

lesgrandepotato

There is an Isla bikes sale group on Facebook you’ll find something there. We’ll have a cnoc 16 up for sale in the next few months as we’ll be on the hunt for beinn 20

molgrips
    Free Member

They really aren’t anything special compared to other quality brands I reckon. The 20″ one we looked at had far too skinny tyres IMO at 1.7″ I think – requiring higher pressures and consequently a rougher less confidence-inspiring ride. The Pinnacle we got in the end had 2.0s which was far more comfortable and secure.

typer
    Free Member

There is an Isla bikes sale group on Facebook you’ll find something there. We’ll have a cnoc 16 up for sale in the next few months as we’ll be on the hunt for beinn 20

How much are you wanting for the Cnoc 16 and where are you located?

northernmatt

molgrips has a point about the tyres but a pair of Continental explorers is about £20-25. The Kenda Small Block 8 tyres that come as standard on the Islabikes aren’t much use except for on road and gravel.

We have gone from Isla balance bike, to CNOC16 to Beinn 20L. All bought through the facebook group for much less than new prices. I paid £220 for a year old Beinn 20L and they are still going for the same money now.

molgrips
    Free Member

a pair of Continental explorers is about £20-25.

Adds even more to the cost. There really are lots of alternative brands out there that are just as good (if not better – see tyres) and cheaper. Islabikes are slightly lighter but again, much of that is in tyres I reckon.

daern
    Free Member

Adds even more to the cost. There really are lots of alternative brands out there that are just as good (if not better – see tyres) and cheaper. Islabikes are slightly lighter but again, much of that is in tyres I reckon.

Yup, but OP is talking about a 3.5yo – tyre selection on the Cnoc really doesn’t matter as they’re not geared to tackle terrain where it will make a difference.

We did run Conti Explorers on my son’s Beinn 20 though because they were cheap and cheerful. They’re pretty much a “must have” if you want to tackle mud, or do CX or anything like that as the stock Kendas, while being fast rolling and quite light, are absolutely no good in filth. I’m sure there’s alternatives, but the Contis did ok for us.

NZCol

Cnoc worked for us with little one, we had a Rothan which cost £10 between buy/sell and now a Cnoc 14 which she is about to grow out of and will sell for same we bought it for. Take pedals off it for first few goes then whack them on and he will be fine.

daern
    Free Member

There’s currently a blue Cnoc 16 in Pontefract advertised for £180 on Facebook.

I notice that OP is pretty absent from this (very interesting) discussion, but if they were here I would point out that November and December aren’t the best times to try to buy a used Islabike (or any quality kids bike, tbf) as both prices and demand will be high, so now’s the time to do it if you’re planning for Christmas.

northernmatt

I have a CNOC16 languishing in the shed but it needs some TLC before it gets moved on. It certainly won’t be anything like £180 as it’s a good few years old now.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

50% off kids bikes at Halfords, plus 10% BC at the moment

daern
    Free Member

I have a CNOC16 languishing in the shed but it needs some TLC before it gets moved on. It certainly won’t be anything like £180 as it’s a good few years old now.

If it’s the new style (with the narrower saddle), it should make that sort money regardless of age. If it needs a bit of TLC, it’s well worth doing as people will pay more for a well maintained example.

northernmatt

Nah, it’s the older version before they even went to rounded bolt heads for the wheels so probably £100 tops. It’s been on loan to one of his friends from school that wasn’t getting on with his pig iron Halfords BSO, worked a treat but the dad baulked a bit at the cost of Islas, they are looking at the Wiggins range as a cheaper alternative.

tinybits
    Free Member

I went Frog bikes as i could actually go and try one first, and buy from the local shop.
    Believe frog bikes are named after the inside leg length of rider ie Frog 52 = 52cm min internal leg

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

I went the Islabike route for my 3 year old. Got a Cnoc 14L first but she couldn’t touch the floor so had to buy a Cnoc 14S as well, which she just about managed to ride with the seat all the way down. It took a bit of patience but at 3.5 she is now happily pedalling around on it without any assistance/support. I didn’t look at other brands but I would say the Islabike seems very stable (slack head angle?), but I think it is surprisingly heavy (You can definitely feel the weight carrying it back from nursery!)

typer
    Free Member

Northernmatt, that sounds like exactly what I’m after. I’ve been looking for a Cnoc 16 that needs a bit of TLC as I want it to be a bit of a project that I can rebuild/repaint and customise for the little one. What exactly needs doing to it?

northernmatt

@typer send me an email (in profile) and I’ll run through it rather than hijacking this thread.

Harry_the_Spider
    typer
    Free Member

Northernmatt, email sent 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

No-one wants my Pinnacle? Brand snobs you all.

They are very carefully and thoughtfully designed, definitely worth a look even if you don’t buy mine.

daern
    Free Member

No-one wants my Pinnacle? Brand snobs you all.

They are very carefully and thoughtfully designed, definitely worth a look even if you don’t buy mine.You don’t work in IT too do you? 😉 (meta-thread reference!)

You do get to the crux of the matter, though. No matter how good Pinnacles, Frogs, Hoys and the rest are, *none* of them have the same resale attractiveness as the Islabikes. And because of this, people go out of their way to buy them second hand, because they know they’ll be easy to shift when the time comes for a size upgrade.

It’s a bit of a vicious (or virtuous?) cycle, but it’s the reality of it at the moment and you can’t ignore it. No snobbishness need apply, I’m afraid 🙁

molgrips
    Free Member

No matter how good Pinnacles, Frogs, Hoys and the rest are, *none* of them have the same resale attractiveness as the Islabikes.

No, but I’m suggesting you buy mine second hand, which means that works in your favour 🙂

No snobbishness need apply, I’m afraid

Well it does – the reason the prices are so high, both new and used, is that people are prepared to pay for the brand when there are equally good alternatives.

daern
    Free Member

Well it does – the reason the prices are so high, both new and used, is that people are prepared to pay for the brand when there are equally good alternatives.

No, this is the point I’m making. People are paying more for them because they know they’ll get every penny of it back when they come to resell them and, as you are demonstrating most ably, you can’t say the same with literally any other brand of kids bikes. I genuinely think that brand snobbery is only a part (and maybe only a small part) of the equation here.

No, but I’m suggesting you buy mine second hand, which means that works in your favour

My kids are out of Islabikes now, but good luck selling it elsewhere 🙂

al2000

Anyone got a Vitus kids bike?

It’s one of the ones I’m considering for youngest daughter (3) as she’s very much ready for her first proper bike.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/vitus-fourteen-kids-bike/

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

No, this is the point I’m making. People are paying more for them because they know they’ll get every penny of it back when they come to resell them and, as you are demonstrating most ably, you can’t say the same with literally any other brand of kids bikes. I genuinely think that brand snobbery is only a part (and maybe only a small part) of the equation here.

Surely it’s the brand snobbishness that keeps s/h prices high?

I think the point Molgrips is making is you could buy his Pinnacle and throw it in a skip and lose less than you would buying a new Isla.

Same with VW T5’s, yes a badly converted T4 is still worth £4k after 10 years, but the hypothetical guy who bought a Traffic/Vivaro/Primastar/Transit instead could scrap it and buy a shiny new one for the same overall loss.

northernmatt

The thing with Islabikes it that they were the first to get it right so everyone is still defaulting to them.

If every other manufacturer had started at the same point rather than playing catchup like they are now there’s no doubt the Islabikes wouldn’t sell as well as they do because buying new they are insanely expensive for a kids bike, but who knows, if they had more competition would they be cheaper?

If you want expensive go look at Early Rider. Their Belter 20″ Urban is £525, the equivalent Isla Beinn20 is £390.

daern
    Free Member

I think the point Molgrips is making is you could buy his Pinnacle and throw it in a skip and lose less than you would buying a new Isla.

Hardly like for like – compare buying a used Isla with the used Pinnacle would be better. Or buying a new Isla vs a new Pinnacle…

molgrips
    Free Member

It was £180 new IIRC.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Hardly like for like – compare buying a used Isla with the used Pinnacle would be better. Or buying a new Isla vs a new Pinnacle…

Then you’d lose even less or/and have less tied up in the bike (assuming the s/h value of either stays the same).

Buy £200 Isla and sell for £200 in a year
    Buy £100 Pinnacle and sell for £100 in a year.

robbo1234biking

Well we went into wheelbase today and looked at a frog bikes 43. It was still a bit big for him even on the lowest saddle height but think he would grow pretty quickly into and out of it. Struggling to justify the £240 price tag though but was good to try him on one. He liked the brakes though. Need to decide what to do next. Didn’t think kids bikes would be that complicated!

burko73

Thread bookmarked

ajantom

I looked at quite a few kids bikes for our soon to be 4 yr old, and eventually bought an Earlyrider Belter 16.

Even though it was a bit more (£300 compared to £240 for the frog, and £280 for the Islabike) the quality of the kit and the build is so much better. Not saying the Frog or the IB are not well made, but the ER is another step up.
    It will last well, and more importantly it will be nice to ride.

She’s right at the lower limit of the size, so it should do her for 2 years, and then our youngest will move on to it when she’s ready.
    If I get 4 years or so out of it with 2 kids, then it’s £300 well spent IMO!

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Bike for 3.5 year old.’ is closed to new replies.