Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Bike fit
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Experiences? Good or bad? Worth it? What did yours entail?

scotroutes

I’m not a believer.

I’ve seen too many folk have a bike fit and be subsequently unhappy with it, changing the positions. There’s probably some merit in looking at your overall riding position but, as an experienced cyclist, you should be able to work out what’s best for you.

If you’re in the top 1% then maybe marginal gains apply.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Do we really want to do this again? 😕

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=site%3Asingletrackworld.com+bike+fit

I’d ask the question why you’re looking at a bike fit. Is there a problem you need solving? Or do you just want some validation that your position is reasonable? There are lots of different options out there and if and how to proceed really depends on what you want to get out of it.

matt_outandabout

mrs_oab got a free one when she ordered her C2W Trek last year – I am not sure it was a full one, but it took over 30 mins of sitting and pedalling etc while chap was all over with tape, adjustment and faffage.

Her new bike does fit well – we were going to go for next size up, and chap was able to do a quick set up that her old bike was, then set up proposed new bike. mrs_oab was then able to choose the one she felt best (also the one bike fit suggested was best).

It was useful, not sure its worth a big price tag though.

scotroutes

And a bit llike the wide tyre thread, what’s fastest on paper may not be the same as something that lets you ride in a less fatigued state for longer.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m asking for a friend, by the way – not me.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’m asking for a friend, by the way – not me.

What’s the circumstances?

thepodge
    Free Member

I had one and it was a total waste of time.

My mate went somewhere different and its transformed his riding.

I think if you have a problem then they can help, I wanted help to prevent problems

mrblobby
    Free Member

By the way, if you just want to check that his position is fairly sensible then just get the BikeFastFit app and do it yourself.

IMO if I’m paying for a bike fit then I’m paying for the knowledge and experience of the person performing the fit. So I’d make sure I’d researched them properly. I’d not pay for someone who’s just using a machine and fitting by numbers. For example, I’d be spending my money on this guy, not some bike shop what’s just brought a Retul setup.

funkweasel
    Free Member

I had one and it wasn’t a waste of time. I had a guru fit. Made my bike/position about 3x as comfortable from what I started with.

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

The one I had wasn’t great, the guy seemed constantly confused over left and rights which didn’t inspire confidence plus just had a “flip the stem and everything will be fine policy” no matter what stem you had on.
    I have found a physio that is happy to look at you on the bike, identify problems from a set up and physical point of view way more useful.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

My mate has just spent £20k on the all singing all dancing big Shimano bike fit machine for his shop. Gives a power output before and after, all set up and measurements done with camera/lasers/whatever.

With the roadies love of numbers, I’m guessing it won’t be long paying for itself.

mcnultycop

I’m nowhere near the top 1%, probably the bottom 25% but I had a bike fit a month ago with Matt Hallam at Cyclefit in Manchester. Expensive but very, very worthwhile. I’m on the road bike more as I’m training for a charity ride and I wasn’t happy after rides, but not 100% sure why. After the fit the bike is so much better and after 2.5 hours in the saddle I feel great after rides, not like I’ve had elephants run over my legs.

I’d heartily recommend it.

beej

IMO if I’m paying for a bike fit then I’m paying for the knowledge and experience of the person performing the fit. So I’d make sure I’d researched them properly. I’d not pay for someone who’s just using a machine and fitting by numbers. For example, I’d be spending my money on this guy, not some bike shop what’s just brought a Retul setup.

Yep, totally. My 6 hours with that guy was a lot of assessment and talking about my riding, problems in the past, injuries, aims. Shoes and cleats were done first, so my time on the bike was probably less than an hour (including the stress test).

That doesn’t mean all the people with the Retul etc. are bad, but some will be better than others.

FWIW, the 30 minute fit I had done at Epic Cycles when I bought my first decent road bike involved very little fancy kit and was pretty good for 5 years. The Bike Whisperer changes were minor – a bit of bar rotation, slight move of saddle up and back, slight cleat alignment.

mrblobby
    Free Member

My mate has just spent £20k on the all singing all dancing big Shimano bike fit machine for his shop. Gives a power output before and after, all set up and measurements done with camera/lasers/whatever.

Yes it probably will. Seen as very much a customer expectation now on new bike sales at high end bike shops. And it’s very easy to get into the game by spending 20k on kit and going on a quick training course.

As beej describes, it’s a very different service to spending a few hours with someone who’s been seeing to peoples bike fit issues daily for 20 years.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I guess it depends why you want to go in the first place I guess?

Personally I wouldnt bother.

I’ve had various bikes over the years, some you can sit on immediately and they feel comfortable and just fit.

Others Ive tweeked everything and never got comfy. So I am in the you can sit on it, and within 5 minutes know if its for you or not.

Its not logical to me to buy a bike that doesnt fit and then try and make it fit….

I am sure there are probably marginal gains to be made, but if you are at that stage surely you are riding with people with years of experience who can help you with set up?

13thfloormonk

I’m booked in for one with Velocity 44 next week.

Partly because they’ve offered me a very nice bike at a very nice price, but I’m worried about the geometry (it’s ‘standard’ road bike geometry vs. ‘sportive’ geometry). But also because I’ve been going round in circles trying to figure out the best cleat/foot position and confusing myself as to what adjustments have helped what niggles, etc. etc.

Finally, I’m just interested, been riding long enough now it would be interesting to see the numbers. I’m predicting they’ll spot a leg length discrepancy (anyone else always feel they’re hanging slightly over one side of the bike?) and probably express horror at my bog standard ‘heel on the pedal at six o’clock’ saddle height adjustment.

trailwagger
    Free Member

£85 to fit some cleats!!!! **** me !!

mrblobby
    Free Member

£85 to fit some cleats!!!! **** me !!

🙂

If you’ve had a fitting with him he gives you all the info to set up another pair of shoes (insoles, wedges, shims, etc.) so you can do it all yourself. I can imagine some are a right faff hence the price.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Bought a new road bike last year and got no fit service or offering from the shop at all but I went to the shop to buy that particular bike. I dont hang around for chat or experience from them as that’s not the type of shop I see them as. After a month or so I was having some really niggles with it, knee pain got to the point I was crying when i cycled but as winter approached I stop riding my road bike because I think it’s too nice to go out with all the salty roads so I benched in. I then got zwift and used said road bike, straight away I started to get pain again and decided seeing as I spent a good wedge on the bike it was worthwhile spending a chunk on a bikefit. Went from recommendations for Adrian Timmis who for the price came with custom insoles too. It’s completely transformed the feel of the bike and the comfort I have on it and have easily since cycled 100 miles with no pain at all, in fact the cycle track finish I was still able to push a 22mph average round it. The custom insoles fixed the fact that I have a very high bridge so when I push down through the pedals my knees twist to compress that large gap. The whole process took from approx 10am – 2pm and was more about Adrian’s knowledge and experience than gadgetry. On my previous road bike I didn’t have any of these niggles so in that situation I’d of never blown so much money on it. ‘If it aint broke don’t fix it’. There are so many things to adjust that it became me looking for a needle in a haystack trying to track it down myself!

thomthumb
    Free Member

Had a cheap bike fit with a guy who was completely unaccredited & had no fancy gadgets bar a few inclinometer type things to measure knee angles etc.

He had years of experience & 100s of fits under the belt. I think I trust this more than a young upstart. Unfortunatly I don’t think he’s doing it any more!

Took several hours and explained everything including what I could adjust in the future if I wished.

This was my second road bike and I was having lots of knee issues. I’d been moving the saddle but doing it all wrong. I was very happy with the results.

I haven’t had one since but I’d certainly go if I felt the need.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

mrblobby – Member
    Yes it probably will. Seen as very much a customer expectation now on new bike sales at high end bike shops. And it’s very easy to get into the game by spending 20k on kit and going on a quick training course.

As beej describes, it’s a very different service to spending a few hours with someone who’s been seeing to peoples bike fit issues daily for 20 years

Indeed, he has a bike fit guy that’s been doing it for a few years now and does all the local elite guys

coatesy
    Free Member

Depends on what the issue requiring a bike fit is, but if you’re still in the Cardiff area, then Andy Berry at Spyre Healthcare has my recommendation. He’s a physio, who’s diversified after dealing with numerous cycling related injuries, and was able to diagnose my long-standing knee problems, and get them fixed with simple exercises, something a trip to a well respected London expert, and no end of bike-fannying had been able to sort out.

alwillis

At risk of a flaming, I do bike fitting as a huge part of my day job, and have done for a few years now.

I started with a degree in sport and exercise science, then lots of experience riding and racing different disciplines, then 6 months shadowing a very well respected bike fitter. I still get flummoxed some days and refer people on to osteos, physics and podiatrists.

Some people report huge benefits, and a large portion of people come in for confirmation, others simply because it’s included with a bike they purchased and they are interested in the process.

To answer the original question- contact some people locally who are recommended by clubs/ people you know, and ask the fitter a few questions before you book. That should help you gauge the type of service on offer and what you will gain from it.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Bike fit’ is closed to new replies.