Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Bike fettling terminology
  • theotherjonv

Is there a proper word for the pleasure of doing a job using the right tool and so finding it to be absolutely straightforward and stress free.

Because there should be.

JonV (who after years of bashing SFN's in slightly lopsided using a hammer, bolt and wonky eye, actually borrowed a mate's SFN setting tool and has just whacked one in in less than a minute with barely a second glance)

bassspine
    Free Member

I know what you mean, having the right tools makes the job go better.The Germans probably have a word for it – kraftenfreude? or something like that maybe?

crispybacon
    Free Member

not sure what the fettling terminology for whacking one in is but there are loads for whacking one out 😉

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I get more fun out of bodging it with bits of junk 🙂

solamanda
    Free Member

Within reason I always view tools as an essential investment and try to have the right tools to hand. Nothing beats having something go wrong just before a trip/race/event (bicycle, car or motorbike) and being able to fix it right on the spot yourself.

sc-xc

I'm with SFB on this

theotherjonv

I know what the esteemed SFB and BB mean, but I disagree to some extent at least.

I know the satisfaction of having bodged it in but once you've achieved that once or twice, and proved you can, I'm talking of the simple pleasure of doing it with ease and right first time.

tang
    Free Member

dunno but my spannering comes under the term 'feckling' for sure.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Bike fettling terminology’ is closed to new replies.