Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Bike Failed just under 1 year
  • fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

Rear shock will now fail to lock
    All the rear linkage keeps coming undone
    One of the rear linkage bolts has sheered of making the bike unridable!

It is a carrera banshee x purchased 24/05/09
    Extended 3 year care plan taken out.

What legal obligations must the store offer and replacement wise what can they do?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Loctite, new bolt, new shock?

angryratio
    Free Member

Yep.. as mr cynic al above says.. it's par for the course.
    How often and how do you ride it?

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

i ride 4 times a month for about 4 hours each time, mostly road commute, a little fire road use and small jumps 4ft high

cynic-al
    Free Member

4hr road commute once a week?

qwerty
    Free Member

small jumps 4ft high

in my world thats mahoosive !!!

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

the 4hrs is pslit between road, fire road and jumps, mostly road

and 4ft of air not the take off

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

Hairychested
    Free Member

Get a replacement bolt, locktite it and stop worrying.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Back to the shop – ask them to fix it. Arguably its wear and tear? Except perhaps the shock lockout.

They should fix it without charge IMo but it depends on why the linkage bolt has sheared

Pierre

Carrera – Halfords?

If it's under warranty, as long as the failure is deemed to be caused by "normal usage" then you should be entitled to repair, replace or refund, at the seller's choice.

Read the T&Cs of the extended repair plan carefully, sadly they're usually not worth the paper they're written on because of all the weaselly-worded clauses, but if you're covered, see what you're entitled to.

At the very least, you should end up with a working bike or all your money back. Accept nothing less.

: P

Northwind

Bolt most likely broke as a result of being ridden while loose tbh. Should've been kept tight and if need be threadlocked, that's just everyday servicing. Halfords should see you right but at the same time, if you look after the bike it'll probably look after you.

coffeeking
    Free Member

carrera – a brand I always considered to be on a par with the asda's own bikes etc.

TBH a loose bolt is basic maintenance unless it comes loose every ride and even so it'd expect to be loctited. The shock lockout – cheap shock, not surprising but their problem to fix.

SC13NT1F1C
    Free Member

Read your warranty info, you void the warranty once you leave the ground on most bikes.

Since the bikes is a halfords bike its to be expected that it wont last very long.

retro83
    Free Member

carrera – a brand I always considered to be on a par with the asda's own bikes etc.

Oh come off it, you're saying some £65 Asda special made from pig iron is on a par with the at least serviceable bikes that are sold as Carreras (this one coming with Hydraulic discs, Rockshox rear shock and Marzocchi forks) ?

poppa
    Free Member
    ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Same things happen on more expensive higher end stuff. No big deal. New bolt, loctite and off you go.

Northwind

"carrera – a brand I always considered to be on a par with the asda's own bikes etc."

Then you know nothing

highclimber
    Free Member

there seems to be some snobbery going on here. not like STW at all!

take it back to the shop ask them what they can do for you as its only 12 months old and you don't think bolts should be coming loose in that time frame.

If they say p*ss off then try fix it yourself assuming that its not beyond repair!

Northwind

"its only 12 months old and you don't think bolts should be coming loose in that time frame."

Don't say that, it screams "I don't know anything". Say "I regularily tighten the bolts but they're working loose unacceptably fast" or something similiar.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Just take it back to the shop and ask them to fix it. I don't think a replacement bike is warranted as some of it could be wear and tear / poor maintenance and you have had use of the bike for a year – but the shock should be sorted FOC and the repairs to the bolts done.

coffeeking
    Free Member

retro-poppa et al,

Certainly improved in recent years, but not exactly "of good stock" IMO. I'm not being snobbish, I'm just saying that it's a lower-end manufacturer making bikes for a largely non-serious market. Comparing it to an apollo or similar was possibly a bit far but the point is valid.

TheFopster
    Free Member

coffeeking
    A mate borrowed my Carrera Fury (as linked to by poppa) at CYB recently as someone else had borrowed his bike. He genuinely enjoyed riding it, albeit his usual bike is nicer. Thing is, you can buy six of those Carreras for the price of one of his. It'll go anywhere his will, and nearly as quickly. Don't disagree that paying more get's a nicer bike most of the time, but some cheap bikes are amazingly good. And some of those cheap bikes are Carreras. I still want a Lapierre, though…

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Not sure if they still are but most of the Carreras used to be made by Merida and were identical in some cases to more expensive frames branded as Merida.

Northwind

"I'm not being snobbish, I'm just saying that it's a lower-end manufacturer making bikes for a largely non-serious market. Comparing it to an apollo or similar was possibly a bit far but the point is valid."

It really isn't. £500 buys you a Fury which you could just change the pedals on and ride down the fort william WC downhill trail on, the spec eats bikes costing half again as much. You find the same level of rims on £2500 bikes ffs. If the sticker on the frame said, oh, let's say for the sake of argument Orange, they could sell them for a grand and MBR would still give it 10/10.

JOnS
    Free Member

I've just returned from thrashing my Banshee x round kirroughtree, without any problems at all, it just sucked up everything the black could throw at it.

Yes it's heavy but fitness closes the gap with other bikes, and you can carry more inertia. 😉 on the way back down.

The bike had all the important stuff threadlocked when new, just checked them now and nothing has budged, in fact nothing that hasn't been threadlocked is loose, but then again I check the bike regularly.

What I will say is when I got it from Halfords some parts were loose and needed tightening, the kit itself is good, often the way it leaves the shop is very poor.

cynic-al
    Free Member

LBS or Helfrauds staff do not go about loctiting bolts etc – all done in the factory.

aracer
    Free Member

Legal obligations for a bike which got crashed and bent? Strange how you didn't mention that.

Saccades
    Free Member

Coffeeking – I'm surprised at you, bike shaped object from asda or a brand of bikes that has won loads of awards at the low/mid end of the scale, you shouldn't let the variable service available at halfords blind you to the excellent selection of bikes they have had for years.

Certainly improved in recent years, but not exactly "of good stock" IMO. I'm not being snobbish, I'm just saying that it's a lower-end manufacturer making bikes for a largely non-serious market. Comparing it to an apollo or similar was possibly a bit far but the point is valid.

I had a Carrera LRS (one of the last of the Merida built carrera's) and it was ace, coped with everything, which I incidentally swopped for a set of disc brakes to a professional rider when I was blinded by the lure of a cheap Santa cruz blur frame. He said it was incredibly fast but a bit short in the top tube for him, he still has it. A year later the same frame was being sold with the UCI stripes as the merida team were the first to win a world cup events on that full suss (5 in fact, and I know the race frame was slightly tweaked with a better shock and a bit more hydroforming and bling gear etc).

I ended up getting rid of the Blur to replace it with one of those original LRS merida frames and I'm glad I did.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Bike Failed just under 1 year’ is closed to new replies.