Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Bike-discount.com. Postage
  • ritchic
    Free Member

Anyone bought anything from them. And know how long postage normally takes as its in Germany I’m led to believe . Just purchased rear mech and shifter.

jimw
    Free Member

Three days last time I ordered.

funkybaj
    Free Member

Ordered a whole groupset last week, ordered Monday arrived Thursday. A previous order from them was quicker still.

ritchic
    Free Member

That is quick. Great. Some really good deals too. How come uk company’s are so expensive in comparison

jimw
    Free Member

Not everything is cheaper – chainsets for example are often less on Merlin. Great range of products though

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

How come uk company’s are so expensive in comparison

Fluctuated exchange rate. £ was seen as safe compared to the euro, so europeans wanted to buy £’s, which meant they all got less £’s for their euros as the value got pushed up (relatively).

The prices are fixed to an extent in each country by inertia (people won’t pay 20% more than last year even if the exchange rate changes that much, because their wages aren’t linked to the exchange rates). So over the last 5 years the £ has droped from 1.5 euro to 1.1 euro, so buying stuff from the continent seems cheep.

But then over time all the £’s end up in the eurozone, so everyone’s got £’s, and they’re worth less as a result, so the exchange rate creeps back to 1.5 euro:£.

Obviously that applies to whole economies, not just one shop.

atlaz
    Free Member

Actually they’re cheap even in Europe so the argument isn’t really a good one. I guess as some (or indeed a lot) of their stuff is OEM rather than retail packaging, they get bulk through their own-brand bike building. They’re a huge company too relatively speaking for the bike biz

jonxmack
    Free Member

Bought a few bits last week, arrived within 3-5 days.

plyphon
    Free Member

Shipping is quite expensive at a fiver which sort of takes the good-deal feeling out if only buying a small item.

peterfile
    Free Member

Shipping is quite expensive at a fiver which sort of takes the good-deal feeling out if only buying a small item.

Though surely if it’s a small item then the actual price difference to a UK store doesn’t really warrant ordering from another country?

EDIT: sorry, just realised you may have been talking about the size rather than cost of the item. They will still want to charge for processing and packaging orders, regardless of size. It’s only a fiver, so it’s more that the postage for large orders is cheap, rather than being expensive for small items.

I don’t think that shipping from Germany to UK within a few days for £5 is expensive!

jimw
    Free Member

Since Shimano BB91 Pressfit bb’s are £17 there and £35 on CRC it is sometimes worth buying single components, although usually buy other bits to split postage cost.

ritchic
    Free Member

Well I bought slx 10 speed shifter and slx shadow plus rear mech. Inc postage £55. Can’t even get a mech for that in uk

sicklilpuppy
    Free Member

Alot of their stuff is oem, so no retail packaging? Or pricing.

coffeebiker
    Free Member

Its all in correct packaging. Its all legit boxed things, at a very good price

seavers
    Free Member

SLX Chainset ordered Monday night, here yesterday. Not OEM, proper packaging like. Way cheaper than any UK online places. I use them and others regularly and always had great service. No Haribo though.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Alot of their stuff is oem, so no retail packaging

Less landfill too then

coffeebiker
    Free Member

No Haribo though.

– Big let down for me..

tinribz
    Free Member

Ordered some carbon forks late Saturday night, arrived this morning. 20% cheaper than anywhere else but bit disappointed that they seem to have been fitted to a bike at some point judging by the marks.

Maybe said ex-demo in German somewhere. Pfft first world problems 😥

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Bike-discount.com. Postage’ is closed to new replies.