Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • bike disc size?
  • pondyyfz
    Free Member

Hi, sort of a newbie question. I’m currently running avid elixir r with g2 discs. 203 front and 185mm rear, power wise they feel great. I have just ordered some elixir 5 as I wanted white brakesn these come with g3 discs, 185 front and 160mm rear. I was thinking of swapping the mounts and discs over and using the larger discs I have now? My current front disc is brand new but the rear isn’t so would have to use a g3 on the rear If I did swap to larger discs, does it matter using differnt discs? G2 front and g3 rear or is it just looks?
    is the purpose of larger discs for more braking surface for more power or just for heat? I ride 4 miles on road to and from work everyda, all flat roads and them go out trail riding some weekends, also mostly flat. For this riding do I need larger discs or is it worth doing it since I have all the parts?

timwillows
    Free Member

For the riding you do the smaller disks will be fine, go with the all new system and save the faff

andyl
    Free Member

The purpose of larger discs is mainly more leverage which means more braking torque can be applied – which is why some forks and frames have max disc sizes – they are not designed for large discs.

Increased disc area does have a benefit of better heat dissipation but I wouldnt worry about that.

The disadvantage of larger discs is weight and vulnerability to being damaged. 180mm front and 160mm is ideal for most people and will be more than enough for you. The 180mm is nice to have up front to give a bit more front power.

pondyyfz
    Free Member

thanks for the replies. turned out i made a mistake, i ordered the brake set with merlin, but the 185/160 is for black brakes, not white.

the whites will be 160mm discs front and rear. still good?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

pondyyfz – Member

the whites will be 160mm discs front and rear. still good?

Absolutly fine

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

I run 160mm discs front and back 16- 17 stone in weight and never had any problems. I have been running this size for years after running larger ones and have never missed them! For what you need you will never notice. I actually prefer the feel of the 160mm rotors to my old 200mm ones. All having a massive powerful front brake means to me is more chance of skidding out on the front in damp or bad mud, which is very bad at speed.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘bike disc size?’ is closed to new replies.