Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Bike dilemma!!
  • BMC09
    Free Member

Hi, i have got myself a small dilemma, wondr if anyone has any usefull words of wisdom or whatnot, as i cant make up my mind:

Basically I have got a FS bike (08 Kona Dawg Deluxe, highly upgraded), 2x On-One Inbred's (a singlespeed and a geared one), and my roadbike.(yes i know its a roadbike, but it works great for fitness and getting to work over the 'dryer' months.
    I really want to change my FS frame, as it is not the lightest of bikes and i also fancy a change… i quite like the new Yeti AS-R5, but i think that with a bike that will build up sub 25lbs with my kit (compared to nearer 30lbs with the kona) will i still need my geared hardtail…. hmmmm. I do like riding my hardtail, but where i used to ride it i now seem to ride the singlespeed, and other places where i would ride the hardtail as it is a lighter bike than the FS, if i have a light FS bike, i would more than likely ride that, if you get me. However everytime i get my head round to thinking about fronting the cash for a new frame i ride the kona and love it all over again.
    how confusing and annoying.

any thoughts or comments..

boxelder

You've not said why you want to change the Dawg. Is it a weight thing? or ride character?

BMC09
    Free Member

its a weight thing and i just fancy a change..
    i'm not slow by any means on this bike, infact quite the opposite, but i could be much faster on a lighter one.
    can you see my problem here?

boxelder

Sell the geared On-one and buy a lighter hard tail. You'll worry about trashing the Yeti on 'lumpier' trails.

BMC09
    Free Member

its an idea, am not set on the Yeti AS-R5, there's a few other frames in mind, i'm looking around £1500 more than likely, and its gotta be lighter than the Kona.
    – Yeti AS-R5
    – Orange 5
    – Yeti 575
    – Ibis Mojo ?
    any other ideas….

tinsy
    Free Member

I would re think the weight saving, 5lb sounds a lot to lose out of a frame swap. Especially given its a scandium tubed frame you have.

Baldysquirt

To get that weight saving, you'll be changing more than the frame. Will you then be compromising the all round trail ability of the bike by going that light (assuming to get there you'll need lighter wheels / tyres / forks / finishing kit)?

BMC09
    Free Member

maybe I was being a little optimistic with the build weight… but losing weight from the frame is a must, and i figure that a carbon rear end will help massively, without compromising stiffness too much (Yeti 575 excluded, everyone is aware of the flex in its carbon rear end)

boxelder

I'd guess a 575 or an Orange 5 will be no lighter than the Dawg frame.
    From Bikeradar, about an 08 model:

Kona's Dawg exhibits superb handling manners from a frame that's lighter for 2008 and simple, smooth suspension with no lever flicking. The low cost component spec pushes the overall weight up a bit, though and a wider bar and lighter, leaner saddle would be nice.

If you want a light/fast feel from the FS bike, I'd go for less travel – 100mm – or something carbon and costly – new FSR or Trek.

trying to change that frame to save weight will be much cost for small gain. Just my opinion obviously

Trekster

I have a 05 Dawg and would not swap it for anything on your list.
    Have not ridden the Ibis but my mate has trashed 3 of the older models!!
    He is now on a Titus.

I have ridden the 5 and 575 and if I was to choose 1 it would be the 5.

BMC09
    Free Member

The yeti 5 or the orange 5?
    i the yeti 5 whats the difference in the ride between it and the 575?

Paceman
    Free Member

Pace RC405 😀

BMC09
    Free Member

yeah looked at it, not heard glowing reviews about it…. looks ace tho

Paceman
    Free Member

Look no further, these guys know what they're talking about…

http://www.singletrackworld.com/reviews/pace-rc405/

dickie
    Free Member

I think you need to put your geared hardtail componets on my Giant Anthem Advanced carbon Frameset, save you self £800. see claasifieds.
    From all the above text the Kona sounds just perfect.

BMC09
    Free Member

dickie -> i've always fancied an anthem, but think this might be going overkill on bikes.. bit small for me anyhows 😛
    paceman -> reads good

BMC09
    Free Member

having thought alot about this today, i think i will be changing for an Orange 5 in the new year and keeping my hardtail(s)

just out of interest, does anyone know the weight of an orange 5 frame?

GW
    Free Member

5, not sure what measurement of weight Orange use or which frame parts are missing when they weigh them but it's definitely 5
    😉

boxelder

Thought 5 was inches of travel?
    From memory they weigh about 6 1/2 lbs.
    Bet it's no lighter than the Kona.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Bike dilemma!!’ is closed to new replies.