Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Bike Creaking
  • steve17
    Free Member

Just bought a new zesty and after 2 months there is a annoying creaking noise. I appreciate it needs to go back to the shop for the 1st service but any ideas where the creaking is coming from?

I appreciate it could be anything. But I first thought the seat post and then the saddle so tightened them could it be the headset?

Guess I should get a professional to look at it.

By the way the bike is great just the creaking is annoying

mattjg
    Free Member

When does it creak, when you’re doing what?

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

It could just be the dry weather……if its been dry where you are… i find even my road bike gains a few creaks when it’s been dry a while. Take a few bits of dollop of fresh grease or some thread lock can solve creaks. If its nothing more serious, as you said get in checked at the shop as its only 2 months old.

steve17
    Free Member

Hi Mattjg

I tried to work that out. Checked the pedals were tight, Seatpost clamp tight, Saddle tight although I am not sure how tight these things should be. Tried Riding without putting pressure on the saddle but still creaked. Tried Bouncing on the suspension. Still can’t work it out.

My old hardtail creaked but that was after several months maybe even a year couldn’t figure that out either.

Could it be the headset do you think?

In all honesty I appreciate it is unlikely it can be solved without seeing it!

eulach

Has the Zesty got swap out drop outs? If so take them off, clean, very light greasing and refit. It’s worth a try if it’s definitely not the saddle rails/seatpost/clamp. After that – BB, cranks, suspension linkages, shock mounts……..
    And what Hopk1ns said – grease – it’s no good just tightening stuff.

mattjg
    Free Member

Creak while both pedalling and coasting?

My bike was creaking while pedalling today, the chainring bolts were loose.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I bet it will be the pivots. I tried all the above and my Zesty still creaked.

In the end I sorted it by removing the main bearing pivot bolt and chainstay bolts. The alloy pivot bolts were assembled completely dry, so I used some studlock to ensure there was no metal on metal movement. Grease would also stop the noise but could promote movement between mating surfaces that aren’t meant to move against each other.

freeagent
    Free Member

after about 3 months of irritating creaking I finally traced mine to a loose seat clamp… Grrr…

llamaknob
    Free Member

Had one about six months ago.it was pedal shaft in the end

peterich
    Free Member

my spicy was the main pivot bearings down by the bb – they had virtually seised. replaced them creak went
    took some time to get to that result though

tony07
    Free Member

I get creaking on mine between the stem and bars. Can’t get rid of it

mattjg
    Free Member

Tony check for grit in the stem/bar interface.

stufive
    Free Member

Bottom Bracket or headset?

bruneep

Knees?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Bike Creaking’ is closed to new replies.