Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Bike Creak, driving me nuts.
  • motox2k
    Free Member

Guys,

Bike was running fine, so I decided to strip and clean/grease the linkage, BB etc etc, since doing this I now have a really bad creak/cracking noise when I pedal (good load on the pedals) but also, if you push down hard on the seat/TT it will creak (no force on the pedals), i’m guessing its the BB anything else I should check? I have checked all the linkage, regreased and tighened backup with a torque wrench, I’m a little lost and its driving me mad.

lapierre Zesty by the way.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

its not the BB if you can push down on it and it still makes the creak, as the BB doesnt move when stationary does it?…

you got your seat clamp done up tightly?

cakefacesmallblock

Pin through eyelet on top of rear shock ? Took my mate ages to locate the “creak” on his Trance, that’s where it was, despite him just having changed all the other pivot bearings and BB.

alfabus
    Free Member

I hate it when things grive my nuts 🙂

timmys

I had a creak (well more like a sharp cracking noise) coming from my Zesty which I thought was the BB. It turned out to be suspension related. As your noise is not dependent on force on the pedals then I think yours must be suspension related too, even though you have had a go at that.

I fixed mine by buying a set of suspension bearings from scottish-bearing-nutter-bloke and handing them over to a LBS along with the bike (the LBS had quoted about a month to get the bearings). I believe the chainstay pivots are particularly prone to creaking as they contain plastic bushes.

motox2k
    Free Member

yer it is a sharp cracking noise, to be honest knowing the history of the lapierre’s i quickly looked for cracks in the frame. I have stripped the bearings and they all seam fine, saying that I only did the X shaped linkage componant not the lower arm, will do that tonight.

motox2k
    Free Member

cakefacesmallblock, i did strip that and grease it all.

flatfish
    Free Member

I had a creak that took ages to find.
    Twas the steerer had un-bonded itself from the crown of the fork. It was perfectly rideable just bloody annoying.

motox2k
    Free Member

flatfish it was fine until I stripped her down thats what I dont understand.

SiB
    Free Member

Dont know if its any help but cracking noise on my bike definitely saddle related although you wouldnt have thought so. Turn bike upside down once a week and squirt oil where the rails go in to saddle…..or maybe if I lost some weight that might help!

motox2k
    Free Member

SiB if I push on the toptube it will happen, so I dont think its sadle related but I will give it a spray just in case.

sugdenr
    Free Member

When I had this it turned out it was a crack developing in the seat tube at the top tube weld

motox2k
    Free Member

sugdenr interesting I will take a nose later.

honourablegeorge

flatfish – Member
    the steerer had un-bonded itself from the crown of the fork. It was perfectly rideable

We have very different definitions of “perfectly ridable”

scud
    Free Member

I’ve had two really annoying creaks on my bike, one from the saddle on Joplin dropper seatpost (never will i buy one of those again) and the other was traced to where the Gore gear cable went into the first stop on top tube.

motox2k
    Free Member

scud i have a joplin, will take it out just to test.

scud
    Free Member

I tried everything with the Joplin clamp at the top, tightening it as tight as i physically could and still the saddle would tilt forwards and backwards under force and creak like mad.

timmys

yer it is a sharp cracking noise, to be honest knowing the history of the lapierre’s i quickly looked for cracks in the frame. I have stripped the bearings and they all seam fine, saying that I only did the X shaped linkage componant not the lower arm, will do that tonight.

So you didn’t do the main pivot? That’s what the shop reckoned was the source of the creaking on mine.

You might want to have a look at this:
    http://www.lapierreownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1184

motox2k
    Free Member

right stripped the rear end, cleaned regreased and now no creak 🙂

Cheers

Stu

onehundredthidiot

Min eis just back from LBS after pretty much the same thing. Basically a dry main pivot, was bloody annoying and drove me crazy.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Bike Creak, driving me nuts.’ is closed to new replies.