Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Bike configuring noob
  • junitrules
    Free Member

Hey All,

I’ve been looking and researching bikes recently as I want to upgrade my 2005 Spesh Hardrock Sport (v brakes!) to a shiny new full susser.

I quite like the Rose Granite Chief 2015 (the bottom of the range is in my budget) but not sure what parts NEED to be upgraded. Please help!

Initially I thought the following upgrades:

– brakes – Avid 9?
    – upgrade shifters, mechs etc to XT?
    – forks – pikes?

Going from an ancient hardtail to a spanking new bike, I am probably not going to notice the difference between components, and weight isn’t a real issue. Am I really going to notice a difference in performance/wear between Deore crankset and XT? Standard cassette, or SLX?

Failing that, the Norco Range 7.1 Alloy 2015 looks pretty decent to my slightly untrained eye.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/bike/rose-granite-chief-1-275-2015/aid:767296

This one?

The brakes and drivetrain are fine.

The seatpost and fork are the weak points.

You can get the pike as an £170 option

junitrules
    Free Member

Yeah that’s the one – sorry I was meant to add a link to it in my post.

I’ve read good things about the Pikes, so was thinking of upgrading those.

I don’t really understand the difference between seatposts, is it weight, durability? Or the fact that it isn’t a dropper post?

Thanks

antennae
    Free Member

Like fr0sty says, get a better fork and a dropper post if you’ve the funds. Put some money aside for a nice pair of pedals, too.

The Deore brakes in particular are phenomenally good value, and much better than the equivalent Avids I’d say (and easier to bleed and service).

The drivetrain all looks fine, just upgrade it when it wears out if you like. Triple chainrings are a bit unusual these days though, so worth seeing if it’s possible to spec a single narrow-wide ring or double instead.

junitrules
    Free Member

It’s strange that Rose don’t give a twin chainring as an option seeing as the more expensive models do. I assume that because the more expensive models have the option, and are the same frame, that it is possible to change to a twin ring.

Thanks for the advice about the Deore brakes – to be honest anything is going to be better than my current brakes!

fr0sty125
    Free Member

It is a totally personal thing but if it was my bike I would go with a 1x setup and pikes with a dropper post.

I would upgrade to XT cassette £18 and get Pike £170

42t Cog £40

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/232316/products/ethirteen-range-extender-ex-cog—shimano-42t.aspx?origin=pla&kwd=&currency=GBP&gclid=Cj0KEQjw_byiBRCu9qm5lc28ufgBEiQAWq-

NW chainring £26

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/i-o-chainring-narrow-wide-style.htm

Cost would be £1623 On top of that you would want a dropper post.

junitrules
    Free Member

So if you went with a 1x setup with the 42T cog and say a 30T chainring then that would still mean the bike was OK climbing?

The reason for leaning toward a 2x setup is the worry that it will be too much hard work climbing with a 1x setup

fr0sty125
    Free Member

1x is a very personal thing I ride a 30t and 11-36 26 inch wheels.

What gearing do you use at the moment?

junitrules
    Free Member

Currently the 32/22 part of a 42/32/22 with a 11-32 cassette.

I don’t really use the big chainring, only when going down a flat fire road

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Well a 32 chainring and a 42t cassette would feel about the same as you being in the granny ring at the front and the 28t on the cassette.

Northwind

Generally speaking, don’t plan to change anything on a new bike. If you’re sure something won’t suit, then yeah, plan ahead but otherwise try and leave it alone, then change things to need or at least informed GAS rather than just shopping frenzy 😉

I change grips and saddles on everything, and then I throw titanium and carbon at it til its light, and dropper posts and fat tyres at it til its heavy, then once a month I choose a part at random and declare it to be rubbish and replace it with something functionally identical, but more expensive. Except for the worn out stuff, that stays on there til it crumbles to dust

junitrules
    Free Member

Hmm, that’s interesting to know. I get very confused when it comes to gear ratios, I just know which gear to use when riding, that’s all.

I do find that I rarely use the gears between, it always seems to be the extremes.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Going from your current bike to that will fell awsum, everything will seem way better, work better and just be better.

I’d only change things that affect you on the bike like saddle and grips and pedals then change drive-train bits as they wear out.

junitrules
    Free Member

That’s a good ethos Northwind.

To be honest, I pretty much did the same on my ancient hardrock.

Forks were pants, so upgraded (slightly) to Rock Shox Tora (after a few years)
    Brakes were pants so upgraded (as much as I could)
    Saddle upgraded
    cassette upgraded when it was worn out
    chain upgraded when it was worn out

munrobiker
    Free Member

Northwind- Rose offer an “upgrade at purchase” type thing like Orange, so you can spec the bike how you want.

As a new rider moving up from a pretty basic bike everything on the Rose will feel incredible. I would probably take advantage of upgrading to a Pike if it’s £170 as you’ll never sell the fork on and buy a new Pike at a later date for that much. However, it’s up to you whether you can afford the extra. Like I say, compared to what you’re used to, the Sektor will be great.

A dropper post is a really nice addition that’d be the most obvious upgrade for me as a new rider- it will really let you take advantage of the other improvements compared to your old bike.

I’d not touch the drivetrain until it’s worn out- going to 1x is a waste of money if you have brand new gears already on there. Also if you’re a newish rider you may not be fit enough to take full advantage of it and you will probably appreciate the granny ring more than the saved weight.

junitrules
    Free Member

I think I will upgrade the forks, as they are an expensive aftermarket upgrade.

Leave everything else as it is and upgrade when things wear out/ I get tired of things/want a change.

Thanks all

junitrules
    Free Member

you may not be fit enough

I’m not a new rider, but definitely not fit enough!

ahwiles
    Free Member

in my humble opinion: dropper post + your choice of tyres* = done.

the spec on that bike looks great.

(*’proper’ Continentals are good, cheap ones that come with new bikes are completely crap)

junitrules
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I’ve been looking at several bikes but the spec on the Rose’s are quite hard to beat.

bereavementmonkey
    Free Member

Speak to Fin Paton at Rose in the UK and he will arrange some tests for you… I think. He certainly knows his stuff and will help.

junitrules
    Free Member

Ordered the Granite Chief 1 in the end (mid-May) and was given an 8 week leadtime.

Waiting that long for a new bike is the hardest thing ever!!!!

v666ern
    Free Member

You’ll be reet, though I’d give them a call just in case as they lost the online order and some parts were out of stock so worth a 5 minute call – the on hold music is worth it at least 😯

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Bike configuring noob’ is closed to new replies.