Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Bike computer fitting woes – am I being more of a hamfisted muppet than usual?
  • Dangerboy
    Free Member

Right then.
    Picked up a cheapy bike ‘puter – a Specialized Speedzone Elite – for £15.
    Bargain, I thought. It’s wired, but it’s got a cadence sensor, which might be useful on the turbo.

So, I’ve fitted it. Wires are a bit long but I’ve run the cable under the top tube and down the seat tube, worked out pretty well.

Cadence sensor runs to the non-drive side chain stay and works fine.
    Wheel sensor also runs to the non-drive side chain stay, but using the supplied kit there’s simply no way I can see to mount the sensor so that the wheel magnet passes within the prescribed 1-3mm of the sensor.

I think I’m going to have to shim it with something but I’ve used all the supplied zip ties.

Anyone else with similar probs fitting computers/sensors or am I being dim again?
    Thanks…

Olly
    Free Member

where have you mounted the sensor.

i always used to put them half way up the wheel (half way between the tyre and rim) but if you put it close to the hub, because the hub is wider, it sits closer.

or is that too obvious?

if that doesnt cut it, shim that bad boy!

JohnnyPanic

Fit the sensor further down the fork leg?

Doh!

Dangerboy
    Free Member
    aracer
    Free Member

Sensor right by the dropouts, magnet on disc?

Olly
    Free Member

yeuuuppp, stick it right up close to the disk, which is where the spokes come out furthest according to the picture
    (though to be fair, the stays are splayed out too)

on mtbs, they tend to go on the drive side at the front, specifically to avoid that issue of the disk.

disk rear wheel doesnt look to hopeful.

can i suggest you mount it on the actual brake caliper? (or brake hose) that might bring it close enough?

Or, mount the magnet on a rotor arm, and get it in there?

dont know if heat would be an issue in either of those scenarios

scaredypants

put sensor on front wheel (if you can shorten wires easily) ?

user-removed
    Free Member

I’ve always stuck sensors on the front wheel, and even then, they have to go a good way down the fork leg to be close enough to register the spokey-dokey widget… Zip ties are ten a penny – don’t bother shortening the cable, just wind it round the front brake hose to reduce the length.

Junkyard
    Free Member

which would work wonders on a turbo trainer.
    Shim it

user-removed
    Free Member

Ah – didn’t realise it was on a TT 😳 What he says then ^^

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Bike computer fitting woes – am I being more of a hamfisted muppet than usual?’ is closed to new replies.