Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • Bike commuters … a dangerous breed
  • paul78
    Free Member

I don’t want to get in to a debate about the distinction between ‘cyclists’ and ‘commuters’ though I do believe they are separate entities but just wanted to share my observations over last week.

I don’t usually ride to work .. much prefer to come home fresh and go riding but in the last week the sun has been out and I wasn’t having to train for any big event so thought I would potter in to work the 6 miles or so …. my choice of bike has been a singlespeed fat bike or singlespeed 29er .. so I wasn’t going to be racing to work.

On more than one occasion I have spun up and past some other commuter on the road and that has seemed to fire a starters gun in their head … next thing they are on the path overtaking me, jumping lights … this morning one guy tried to drop me by getting across a junction by just ignoring traffic and forced a car to stop pretty quick.

Is this the normal behaviour people observe on their ride to work every day ? Have I discovered the underground world of commuter racing ? I like a good race but i’m not gonna play with traffic for an imaginary victory

trail_rat
    Free Member

its quite funny alot of the time

they will jump red lights and do anything to get infront or possibly strava’ing

i take delight in riding safely and putting the idiots back in their boxes by catching them very quickly – letting them catch my wheel briefly before dropping them – only to repeat at the next set of lights.

i find the truly fast people are the ones obaying the law – we generally end up working together to get home quicker.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I become a bit of a nutter when I commute…. playing with traffic has it thrills.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

idiots drive cars
    idiots ride bikes
    idiots exist, your mode of transport does not alter that fact 🙂

jameso

my choice of bike has been a singlespeed fat bike ..

) There’s your answer. Cause and effect..

Lifer
    Free Member

Only problem I’ve had was an elderly woman nearly taking me out by a) not signalling and b) not looking before turning right. And then telling me that I was going to fast when I complained. Luckily I’d just collected the bombers after a service so the discussion didn’t last long.

The worst riding I see is generally people on BSOs.

scholarsgate
    Free Member
    fasthaggis

Never have a problem with this on my commute ,the regulars * all get dropped and stay dropped. 😉 😆

* An old bloke on a Brompton and a woman towing a bike trailer

paul78
    Free Member

idiots drive cars
    idiots ride bikes
    idiots exist, your mode of transport does not alter that fact

Though when I drive to work I never come across drivers weaving in and out of traffic, using the hard shoulder to overtake and jumping red lights 🙂

theflatboy
    Free Member

Paul78, I guarantee you would if cars didn’t have numberplates and there weren’t cameras etc. everywhere.

ahwiles
    Free Member

even that doesn’t stop ’em…

(not for the first time) a taxi drove down the cycle lane on ‘my’ side of the road to get around a speed-bump on ‘his’ side of the road.

yes, he was driving down the cycle lane towards me – but it’s ok, he was going fast enough* to get out of my way…

(*40ish, in a 20 zone)

Marmoset
    Free Member

Yup – there seems to be a lot of pseudo pros over here in Perth who treat it all like a crit. It’s very noticeable that the real pros (team GB) when you see them don’t treat it like a race…

It’s the draughting that gets me – a total stranger glued to your back wheel like a leech.
    It’s been funny over the last couple of weeks – I’ve been going slow on the mtb trying to shake a cold off and people are willing to slow down a helluva lot just so they can get a tow off you at 25km/h, I think the threshold is about 15km/h before they realise you’re taking the micky and then they scoot past.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“It’s the draughting that gets me – a total stranger glued to your back wheel like a leech.”

I dont mind that too much – usually its club mates. What grinds my gears is folks that A. do it without taking a turn on the front and B. Dont even say hello.

tonyd

Is this the normal behaviour people observe on their ride to work every day ?

Not on my (suburban) commute. The only competitive types I come across, which is seldom, are on my way home and look like they’re out for an early evening ride.

zippykona

A recent trip to New York had me standing open mouthed at the total imbeciles who ride bikes out there.
    No helmets which is not a problem as they obviously have nothing worth protecting.
    Very,very scary.

danielgroves
    Free Member

I don’t find to to be too bad here, however I do find that car/van/bus/motorised vehicle drivers like to sit in the bike lanes, particularly approaching junctions where one lanes splits into two. They’re essentially using it to try and force their way up the ‘line’. Pisses me off as the main bit they do it on, the bike lan switches to the right-hand side of the lane on a three lane road. One lane peels off and the bike lane goes straight ahead. They swerve into my lane forcing my into the really rather heavy (especially at rush hour) traffic.

I don’t have an issue with cyclists jumping light here. They go past the stop line, but not into the traffic, just up to the end of the curb. Still should be staying in the bike boxes that are put in though.

Oh, and will some please tell bus drivers that a red box with a picture of a bike at a junction doesn’t mean bikes and busses.

theflatboy
    Free Member

I read on a thread on here yesterday that the ASL infringement penalty is a £60 fine and three points. How does anyone actually know what the punishment is, as surely in the entire history of humanity nobody has ever actually got as much as a stern look for ignoring one? 😕

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’m a frequent cycle commuter in that there Laahndaan and I’ve seen idocy on all sides. I daresay I’ve been guilty of it on occasion too.

My biggest bugbear is slow cyclists who overtake me at red lights and fail to stop, forcing me to overtake them two hundred yards up the road once the lights have changed again. I’ve had cyclists try and force their way up my inside when I’m negotiating a roundabout and then veer out in front of me and I’ve had an incident whereby I was stuck in a queue a hundred yards away from an accident involving a poor chap who’d been hit by a bus and the Police were in attendance. The impatient cyclist behind me kept demanding that I get out of his way and let him through – despite the fact that I had nowhere to go – right up until a passing policeman read him the riot act and told him to be quiet.

imnotverygood

Number of people killed in road accidents in 2012: 1901
    Number of people killed by cyclists in 2012: 2*

*higher than the average yearly total

paul78
    Free Member

*higher than the average yearly total

I’m more worried about these guys killing themselves than other people .. get to work 20 seconds later and don’t win the imaginary race or get flattened by a car you didn’t see as you tried to get across a road junction quicker ? You would think it would a no brainer.

We all accept the idiocy imparted on us by cars, buses and taxis but by other cyclists is an eye opener.

mickolas
    Free Member

I commute every day, every season. Sometimes I fall into a bit of an internal reverie and don’t realise how much I’ve slowed. It can be a bit of a surprise when a ‘fast lad’ comes by me and wakes me up. I’m not going to claim there is no element of competetiveness, but I do enjoy the motivation factor – spices up the daily grind. Some days I’ll draft, others I won’t. If I don’t draft, then we’re on a level playing field, see. If I do, then I’ll take a turn out front if I can (usually uphill), but most of the time it’s fair weather cyclists in team replica kit who have no idea how to pace themselves up a hill and soon drop off no matter how much I slow for them.

If they’re genuinely fast, and I draft for a bit without being able to return the favour then I figure that’s fair enough. I’m on my way to/from work. They are out for the training/exercise, so me drafting has hardly impeded that – in fact I’ve given them a better workout.

OP – bet you don’t see the bad behaviour in winter. I think you’ll find it’s not so much ‘commuters’ that are the problem as ‘fair weather fools’, commuter or no.

toppers3933
    Free Member

I hate random commuters draughting on my ride to work. Weirdos. Bugger off.
    I used to get people racing me all the time. Usually on some squeaky BSO I’d catch and pass them then suddenly they’d come past me like they were on the last lap of the champs élysées then sit up. So I’d keep my same pace and go back past them. At which point they’d get their head down and pass me again. Repeat until either one of us reached our destination. Always made me laugh as they were blowing out their arse and I’d cheerily ride past. Never did understand it.

I used to sometimes use other riders to pace myself until I got a farming GPS now I use that. It’s loads easier.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i dont like strangers drafting me – and many folk i know dont . simple fact is , they are not insured (as least i know my club mates are when its us commuting together) random stranger probably isnt …. so i stop for the red light he keeps going rides into me and smashes up my mech and my face and i get what for it ?

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Though when I drive[cycle] to work I never[daily] come across drivers weaving in and out of traffic [to get a couple of cars ahead at the lights], using the hard shoulder[left turn lane] to overtake and jumping red lights [, often as many as 3 cars going past on red , and speeding]

paul78
    Free Member

Though when I drive[cycle] to work I never[daily] come across drivers weaving in and out of traffic [to get a couple of cars ahead at the lights], using the hard shoulder[left turn lane] to overtake and jumping red lights [, often as many as 3 cars going past on red , and speeding]

I definitely don’t want to live there 🙂

Lifer
    Free Member

trail_rat – Member
    so i stop for the red light he keeps going rides into me and smashes up my mech and my face and i get what for it ?

Probably abuse for stopping.

tomd
    Free Member

I do the commute on a clunky hack bike, wearing trousers clips and a high vis vest. This is like a red rag to bull for the wannabe pro-SportDirect wearing-rusty chained-cycle2work-Specialized allez-riding brigade.

D0NK

Though when I drive to work I never come across drivers weaving in and out of traffic, using the hard shoulder to overtake and jumping red lights

you don’t commute around manchester then. I see that stuff all the time

We all accept the idiocy imparted on us by cars, buses and taxis

which is pretty appaling really

but by other cyclists is an eye opener.

yet this is what the pro car lobby get all stroppy about 🙄

5thElefant
    Free Member

I wonder what happens when you do a people killed per mile travelled calculation.

D0NK

Used to occasionally draft, sometimes with another regular, taking turns up front, the rest of the time if I overtook someone at my normal pace and they put a bit of effort in to get in front again – well that person is ripe for some drafting 🙂

imnotverygood

I wonder what happens when you do a people killed per mile travelled calculation.

Or you could do it per hour travelled: It’s stats innit?

theflatboy
    Free Member

tomd – Member

I do the commute on a clunky hack bike, wearing trousers clips and a high vis vest. This is like a red rag to bull for the wannabe pro-SportDirect wearing-rusty chained-cycle2work-Specialized allez-riding brigade.

I find a big difference in the number of people seeming to want a little race on the odd days when I go on the fancy road bike, rather than the mudguarded/racked/child seat mounted pompetamine. 🙂

Fine by me, a little sport on the way to/from work is a lot more interesting than the tube!

Peyote
    Free Member

Or you could do it per hour travelled: It’s stats innit?

They’re great, I love the one about cycling being much more dangerous than walking per mile travelled. Yet it being broadly the same when comparing time spent travelling!

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member
    xherbivorex
    Free Member

Though when I drive to work I never come across drivers weaving in and out of traffic, using the hard shoulder to overtake and jumping red lights

you should try riding into the centre of manchester from the south then.
    all of those are regular daily occurances.

paul78
    Free Member

you should try riding into the centre of manchester from the south then.
    all of those are regular daily occurances.

I lived in Didsbury for a little under a year and I made sure if I was on a bike I was heading out of the city not in to it.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i ride in daily from chorlton.
    whalley range, hulme and deansgate are all full of delights every day…

(plenty of RLJers on bikes too, mind)

tonyd

Re: Drafting – I don’t really mind if someone wants to grab a tow from me, it costs me nothing and so long as they don’t plough into me they can do what they like. I rarely draft though as I don’t really see the point. One of the reasons I ride to work is for exercise and drafting means less work required so I might as well drive.

alpin
    Free Member

of all the posts so far this one confuses me the most….

I don’t usually ride to work .. much prefer to come home fresh and go riding but in the last week the sun has been out and I wasn’t having to train for any big event so thought I would potter in to work the 6 miles or so

6 miles…. really?

so say you did have a big event coming up (wedding, concert, house move?) do you think that an added 12 miles would ruin your training?

hang your head in shame, you imposter….

njee20
    Free Member

I’m on my way to/from work. They are out for the training/exercise

So if they’re quicker they’re not merely commuting? Interesting logic there!

I don’t mind drafters, but prefer them to say hello or something, and preferably do a turn. I generally know who most of them are anyway, commute often enough and you learn the usual faces.

IME most people who want to race, and insist on sprinting off from every set of lights, are usually riding all of 5 miles.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Bike commuters … a dangerous breed’ is closed to new replies.