Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Bike Commute in Laaahndahn.
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

Had a first week (well, 4 days) of my new commute that includes a ride from Waterloo to Wapping, reversed in the evening.

A whole new experience. Gangs of cyclists moving in shoals, like fish. If you DON'T jump the lights, weave in and out of the car traffic, turn where it says "don't turn" and so on, you're the odd one out. After about five minutes into the first ride, I realised that by cycling as everybody else does, I'd 1: get to work quicker and 2: BE SAFER, believe it or not. 😯

Following the study that showed that motorists are more "bike aware" if you don't have a helmet, I've also abandoned the Xen for the road commute – that's the "helmet hair" problem solved! 😆

After waking up on Saturday morning with a rotten chesty cough, I've also bought a face mask… 😐

julianwilson
    Free Member

I took a deep breath, left the westcountry and went to a nichey buffet 'n' boozeup err, work related conference just off Harley Street last year. I couldn't believe the amount of teeny-barred fixes and the way they were being 'ridden': I was wondering if they'd all come out specially just for the entertainment of the visiting 26" barred and be-freewheeled visiting bumpkin but no, I think its always like that.

xcstu
    Free Member

Welcome to the rat race… Had the same experience when I first started commuting through London 😉 Still wear a helmet mind as the pedestrian are dangerous!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Following the study that showed that motorists are more "bike aware" if you don't have a helmet, I've also abandoned the Xen for the road commute – that's the "helmet hair" problem solved!

Motorists are not the problem. The problems are pedestrians and twunts on fixies.

bartat
    Free Member

I comute in London most days. Its not quite the same as Ilkley Moor but life moves on. Have progressed from a crap trade-in 80s mtb to something a little lighter and quicker with only one gear. Much more fun.

Pet hates are pedestrians with i-pods stepping into the road without looking and Addison-Wesley private hire as the drivers seem reckless and are always staring at the satnav as they don't seem to have done 'the knowledge'.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Motorists are not the problem.

😯

Yeah, 'cos I'm constantly terrified I'm going to be crushed to death by a pedestrian… 🙄

Fixies are scum though.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Pet hates are pedestrians with i-pods stepping into the road without looking

Oh, yes. I've learned to keep a beady eye out for them already. Often, they've actually got their back to me when they do it! Must be practising for a Darwin award. 😆

Haven't had any problem with "fixies" yet, although I have been impressed by the awsome minimalism of the bikes as I trundle along on my 3-geared Brompton.

Is urban "fixie-ism" a sort of biking subculture?

Talkemada
    Free Member

Tsk; all these out-of-town commuters coming clogging up the streets causing congestion… 🙄

nickname
    Free Member

Just started commuting into London over the past couple of weeks too. I love it and should have done it years ago! It's really quite a life changing thing for me as I rarely get out on the MTB these days, now I get 2 hrs biking each day on me commute – I actually want to get up and head out to work each day now 8)

I don't really agree with the whole red light jumping thing though. Most of people I see (so far) are stopping at them. Quite a few of those that jump them end up looking like idiots half way across the junction as they try to navigate through it, waiting for a gap. More often than not they get overtaken by those that do stop seconds later 😆

aP
    Free Member

Embrase the zen of commuting. It's a bit like the Tao of Pooh, but less brown.

xcstu
    Free Member

Yeah, 'cos I'm constantly terrified I'm going to be crushed to death by a pedestrian…

More like you hit one at 20mph cos they don't look n have head phones on, and it putting you on the deck ready for a car to run you over!!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

you hit one at 20mph

Yeah I've seen the divvies doing 20mph in central London, twisting and turning and zigzagging between bumper to bumper traffic as it crawls along. Then they get all surprised when they come unstuck – shouting abuse at pedestrians and car drivers. Dickheads.

xcstu
    Free Member

luckily no…. but come close a few time through no fault of mine! ;-/ 20mph in central london.. yes why?

"Dickhead"… No…. merely commuting to work minding my own business…

BillMC

I had the pleasure of motorcycling across London recently and twice I had pedestrians walk in front of me on the mobile or with headphones. That was just one one trip. Amazing stupidity. Enjoy your ride but keep all antenna up.

Pigface
    Free Member

My old commute in London went from Dalston to Canary Wharf, first time it was awful as didn't know the area and used the main roads, after about a month had it down to 10%on nasty roads the rest was cycle paths, parks, canals and some really interesting quite streets. This was mid 90's so I am guessing things will have changed a fair bit. Really enjoyed it great way to see the capitol.

molgrips
    Free Member

Is urban "fixie-ism" a sort of biking subculture?

Only just noticed this?

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I love commuting in London most of the time – one of the things that keeps me here.

It's a bit mad at the moment though – the summer numpties have arrived and got their new 'bike to work' bikes out. Lots of people who haven't yet worked out the rules, what's safe, and that it's sensible to look behind you before pulling into a stream of traffic. I figure they calm down soon enough.

On another note, does anyone know what happens when you report something on
    https://secure.met.police.uk/roadsafelondon/

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I commuted in london for a year and the one time i had an incident it was because a pedestrain on the pavement turned and ran across the road. barely had chance to hit the brakes! was doing more like 10-15mph though so i stayed on the bike, pedestrian seemed to come of worse than me.

Some people seem to blame the rider quite a bit, but riding defensively just reduces your chance of an accident, it doesn't mean you can avoid them completely.

rootes1

It's a bit mad at the moment though – the summer numpties have arrived and got their new 'bike to work' bikes out. Lots of people who haven't yet worked out the rules, what's safe, and that it's sensible to look behind you before pulling into a stream of traffic. I figure they calm down soon enough.

Yep nov, dec, jan feb hardly any bikes at the lights, middle of march suddenly loads of nice clean shiney bikes with bods in spick and span hi viz… (they are the city bike equiv of nice white trainers

and in june the tfl hire bikes will be available! the centre will be bike crazy..

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

and in june the tfl hire bikes will be available! the centre will be bike crazy..

It might start to feel like Critical Mass every day. It'll be great. I'm not going through zone 1 at the moment but last summer there were virtual pelotons on some routes.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Bike Commute in Laaahndahn.’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts