• This topic has 11 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by jimw.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Bike Cleaning Fluids
  • PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

I’ve never been a compulsive bike cleaner however after a recommendation a few months ago I bought some pink bike cleaning fluid from the local pound shop.

Unexpectedly it was very impressive and at £1 a pot (well 97p actually) worth every penny.

Word appears to have got around and there is never any in stock when I look, however I have noticed that Wilkinson are doing their own for about £4 but that’s a long way off 97p and I’m not tempted to buy that really expensive pink stuff !

My question is, Does anyone know what exactly is in this stuff and can I mix it up myself ?
    (Yes I have looked on the bottle but that does not help.)

I guess it’s some form of degreasing agent and liquid soap maybe with a bit of colorant, in which case diluted washing up liquid may have the same effect.

I’m going to experiment but thought it was worth asking.
    (I expect to be flamed for being tight on this one.)

Goldigger
    Free Member

Cherryade?

cliffyc
    Free Member

Mechanic mate put me on to TFR (Traffic Film Remover),which a lot of fleets,valeters use,does same job IMO and you can get it cheap in bulk. Undiluted,it’s great on grease too. 🙂

somafunk

Buy some undiluted citrus traffic film remover such as this kind of stuff and mix your own to whatever strength you need, I’d err on the more dilute side to begin with, 1 litre will give you 10 litres of useable product.

Goldigger
    Free Member

RobHilton
    Free Member

I use Fenwick’s caravan cleaner – I suspect it’s the same as the bike cleaner but not as diluted, I am, however, unable to analyse its properties at this time. A little goes a very long way.

http://www.outdoorclearance.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=149472&cPath=629&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=OCexport_feed&gclid=CNC4sImt-sICFSoKwwod3YAAoQ#googlebase

captaintomo
    Free Member

99p TFR

That stuff from screwfix! Just highly dilute and its great! Use it in a pump sprayer etc. Brilliant

You’re welcome 😉

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Can I add a vote for Duck Smart Mud Sider? Used after the bike is clean it disperses water and gives a film so the dirt washes of easier next time. Weird thing is you can spray it on your discs and brake pads and it doesn’t screw things up. Proper voodoo!

cliffyc
    Free Member

:DMy local Car Parts dude sells 25L of TFR for about £20 quid (negotiable for cash-folding),hi Ged!. Handy too,as I can park outside as it’s frickin’ heavy!!

barrytheflea
    Free Member

I use pound shop oven cleaner or engine degreaser on my drivetrain, it hasn’t melted my paint yet.. There might be other reasons why this is a stupid idea, but I haven’t noticed them yet.

chrisdw
    Free Member

Fairy liquid for everything.

Washing up brush on the cassette and spin pedals backwards cleans the drive train.

Big muc off brush for everything else.

jimw
    Free Member

Rhino Goo is the best I have used, much more effective than MucOff and doesn’t damage paint or components at all as far as I can see.
    i

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Bike Cleaning Fluids’ is closed to new replies.