Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Bike choice help please
  • bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Been after a new bike as mine is on its last legs and I want something new. And I have narrowed it down to the Cube Aim Disc one in normal 26 inch wheels and the other is the 29er. Bike will be used for mainly trail centres and twisty woodland trails and the odd trip on the road to the trails. Got my heart set on one of these two. Any advice on which to go for?

pussywillow
    Free Member

Do you wanna feed the industry and look stupid, then get the 29er. 🙄 😐

Or he could listen to some constructive advice, try both for himself and then decide? Beats feeding the trolls.

Don’t think I’ve seen anything of interest on here from you yet pussy.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

I’ve test rode the 29er but only on the road. It felt smooth and easy to ride and light compared to my 26 inch Carrera Vulcan. And even with the suntour fork I rolled it over some cobbles and it felt smooth.

pussywillow
    Free Member

TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR – Member
    Or he could listen to some constructive advice, try both for himself and then decide? Beats feeding the trolls.

Don’t think I’ve seen anything of interest on here from you yet pussy.

POSTED 11 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

And what interest might you have brought to the table sunshine?

bwfc4eva868 – Member
    I’ve test rode the 29er but only on the road

Keep it on the road mate, and you’ll not have a problem. 😆

Pussy.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

where are you based, I think you can demo both of those in the lakes.

br
    Free Member

Not sure why you’ve only listed one bike (although in both formats). Buy whichever felt best when you rode them.

Otherwise ride/demo more.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Got heart set on the Cubes. Looked at a Specialized at the same price range and it was poor. Not rode the 26 inch aim as there wasn’t one in my size. A mate has a Cube Analog 29er and that felt quite good round Gisburn but can’t stretch to the extra £100 but it felt really smooth and controlled on Home baked. Just wondering what benefits the 29er over the 26 would be. Looked at the Cannondale Sl5 29er but it only has 80mm of fork travel.

z1ppy

TBH for me the 29er wheel size felt right, an hours test ride convinced me, so I bought one.
    Thats not to say my 26er bikes now feel completely wrong, but after riding one and swapping back to the 29er, it feels ‘better’ to me (I’m more confident in it because of it).
    The added benefits are that it rolls better & the traction is better, but these aren’t the reason I bought one (but are bloody great benefits in the middle of winter).

So decide which feels better for you, getting a proper test ride would help… we can’t tell you, yes we can probably say the 29er is a slightly poorer spec (not checked but historically they are) for the same money but this is negligible if it feels right.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

They are both identical spec wise. Same forks, a mixture of Alivo and Acera gears. Same Suntour fork but the 29er is 14.2 kg and the 26inch 13.6kg when I rode the Analog 29 on a mate’s I found it easier to climb on the rocky Circles bit at Gisburn and the rocks on Homebaked were easier. The down hills I couldn’t really notice much of a difference. But the 29er did feel more stable and less twitchy. The aim 29 is £529 the 26 £499

dantsw13

You sound like the perfect candidate for a 29er IMHO. Remember as well that a 29er doesnt need quite as much suspension as a 26er for the same application, as the big wheels roll over stuff a little easier. It doesnt sound like you are into big jumps and DH tracks, so you dont need huge amounts of suspension. suspension

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

No I’m not a big jumper the most extreme ill ever get is Hully Gully and San Marino at Rivington. Not huge boulder fields but rock’s and rooty trails. Any other options for £550 or is the cube a safe bet and good for upgrades when stuff wears out? I like the Easton bars on the Cube. The right width and stem length for me. The aim and mates analog felt right.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Or would a newer version of my Carrera Vulcan be better? It seems better specced with SRAM X4 similar weight and has a slightly better damped 120mm suntour fork. And is £150 cheaper. And still a 26 inch wheel. But it’s set up by Halfords. I got my old one from Bolton and it was set up fine.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Bike choice help please’ is closed to new replies.