Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • bike check, do you?
  • alpin
    Free Member

in relation to the fox settlement thread, how many people carry out a bike check?

i/we do when out. this includes:
    front wheel- no play in hub, is true, tyre pressure and QR
    back wheel- as above
    pedals- no play in BB
    front brake
    rear brake
    chain is running smooth
    saddle QR
    lights – if night ride – front AND rear
    helmet

admittedly i don’t always do this but make a point of doing so if i remember. at the very least i check the QR’s.
    have only started doing this in the past year since riding with a qualified guide every week. think there might be something else i have missed but you get the gist.
    we have as a group come across a few potentially dangerous problems thanks to doing the bike check. one guy’s crank arm had almost worked its way off, another had his QR very loosely tightened – another Pinder in the making, potentially.

anyone else check their equipment before heading out….?

J

colnagokid

check tyre pressures
    front wheel is kept separate from bike, so I suppose I check that too(20mm bolt thru type)
    but apart from that just get on and go

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

colnagokid –
    that just get on and go

Thats about it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    pantsonfire
    Free Member

always bounce the bike on the ground a couple of times to see if anything rattles but apart from checking tyre pressures no

spooky_b329

Check QR’s then go. Anything else you are likely to notice within a few minutes, I’d only actively check if I was going on a group or big ride the following day and wanted to reduce chance of mechanicals 🙂

Mr_Krabbs
    Free Member

like spooky i spose. if it’s a big ride then i give the bike a proper service the day before.
    if it’s the usual night or weekend ride i tend to be running late anyway, so it’s a case of jumping on a trying to make it to the meeting point before everyone has left.

saladdodger
    Free Member

I also do the “drop rattle test” but on the same score I always give my bikes a good post ride clean and check over

forge197
    Free Member

QR’s I check every other ride just to be sure.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve seen someone have a very nasty accident many years ago (on rigid forks) because he didn’t do his QRs up properly, so I’m a bit paranoid about them. I keep my bikes clean and seem to find problems when cleaning them, which is a very good reason for doing the cleaning in my book.

solamanda
    Free Member

Atleast every weekend post/pre riding I check tyres, headset, brakes and chain. The wheels get a good feel when I load it into my car but these are less of an issue with bolt thru front/rear ends.

In the alps I do a top to bottom check most days, as failure can leave you stranded!

MrNutt
    Free Member

always check everything, it takes less than two minutes.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Dont really check stuff but i have a maxle on the front and the rear qr is always very tight. But if going for a big ride i will have the bike in the house the night before for a once over.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

I’m the same as PP. Paranoid about QRs. Check them before every ride. During the ride usually too!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Bikes are checked properly the day before a ride, then before going out brakes, headbearings are checked again. 20mm front axle here

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yes it has to be said 20mm axles do make things easier and safer in my book. RS Maxle is the best thing since sliced bread, IMO.
    🙂

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

I normally check tyres are hard, wheels are tight and the brakes are ok.

I got two bikes i can ride, so its a bit silly to go out on one thats isn’t fit for riding.

joe1983
    Free Member

Most days just jump on and go but usually check everything during the big weekly clean. Found my RWS rear had worked its way VERY loose last week, which saved me from a potentiallly bad accident

Dibbs
    Free Member

I also do the “drop rattle test” but on the same score I always give my bikes a good post ride clean and check over

That works for me.

pk-ripper
    Free Member

I don’t check specifically other than the tyres, and the front QR is usually sorted as the bike doesn’t fit in the car with the front wheel on.

Ultimately I’d be surprised if there was anything mechanical that didn’t manifest within the first few minutes that could cause any real probs.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Drop rattle test would be no good for me as mine sounds like a bag of spanners 😉
    Always check the front q/r though, especially after it’s been locked up at work (blimmin’ kids).

Hairychested
    Free Member

front tyre
    no play
    front brake
    bars
    stem
    chainset
    pedals
    saddle
    seatpost
    rear brake
    rear tyre
    gears (if applicable)

It’s a so-called M check, takes 20 seconds at most, do it habbitually.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘bike check, do you?’ is closed to new replies.