Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Bike Channel due to close.
  • weeksy

That would indeed be a shame, i’m enjoying watching several of their progs 🙁

jonnyboi

bugger, I was quite enjoying O J Borg’s ‘100 things to do on a bike’

Seems like it will end around 94 things short

zilog6128

Bit of a niche too far sadly I think! Sounded great when it was first announced, tbh though I’ve not actually managed to sit through an entire show yet! The great thing about cycling is that it’s so easy just to jump on a bike and actually go do it, I just haven’t got the time/inclination to watch other people ride bikes! (TDF & olympics excepted)

prawny

That is a shame, some quite enjoyable programs. Maybe they’ll be able to afford to continue as a youtube channel to make TV a little bit more irrelevant.

colin9

It is a shame to lose some cycling TV, although I rarely watched it. A few programmes were OK such as the one with Andrew Dodds and Anna Glowinski checking out UK trails but that was a bit annoyingly heavy on product placement. I tend to check it in hope of finding something good.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

In a non critical way with all these things and people saying it’s a shame how much would you pay for it?

colin9

I would not pay for it, or any TV in fact.

Edit: Other than the BBC licence fee of course 🙄

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

I was hoping that they’d be showing the DH this weekend….

Thats all I really watched on it – and I had never watched the DH on RedBull Streaming etc before.

whitestone
    Free Member

Sad but perhaps a reflection of broadcasters’ focus on providing more channels thus spreading content ever more thinly. Transmitter/transponder space costs money and that’s got to come from somewhere.

I watched a few shows but it was pretty irregular TBH, I didn’t watch a whole series for example. Generally I don’t watch much cycling on TV/YouTube/etc, usually the TdF and the Worlds’ and maybe some of the spring classics though this year’s Vuelta is interesting and I’ve currently got the ToB on screen at work. Stuff like the RedBull shows leaves me cold, not my thing.

Biking’s a bit like climbing – great to do but as for watching – it’s akin to watching paint dry.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Many repeats, translated Italian shows (channel derives from an Italian channel), limited MTB and didn’t have an HD channel, so I tended not to watch it except for stuff with Anna.

Wasn’t particularly promoted either and is at the back end of the sports channels on Sky. A lot just didn’t know it existed.

Maybe Evans or Halfords could invest in it. Yeah adverts for their stuff plenty, but they could promote it and maybe do their own shows.

Or Sky, but they’d want to do their own cycling channel and charge a fortune for it.

nickhit3
    Free Member

damn. It was the only decent way to watch the WC on the big screen for me this year. The vast majority of the MTB content was laughable though. Feel like catching up on some sick FMB comp from 7 years ago? they had you covered. Missed that at 7am? don’t worry, its on again at 2pm.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Only watched the channel a few times when I was round at parents house.
    Everything I saw was pretty much terrible, so not really surprised at its demise, and certainly can’t imagine anyone paying for it.

roger_mellie

Groundskeeperwilly – DH will be on BBC iPlayer and red button http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/41151447

SimonR

Shame – best way for us to watch any of the world cup action and on a proper screen.

Internet connection isn’t up to streaming Red Bull TV so unfortunately that’s not a sensible option …

dirkpitt74

Bugger – was really enjoying watching the DH and XC on there instead of on my phone/tablet.
    Also like the MTB Adventures series with Anna, haven’t watched all of them yet but have them recorded.

Trimix
    Free Member

What, there was a Bike Channel !?

benpinnick

Bugger – was really enjoying watching the DH and XC on there instead of on my phone/tablet.

Two words for you – Google Chromecast.

bennyboy1
    Free Member

Trimix – yes there is, you were sat watching it at Afan a few weekends ago! ;-D

philjunior
    Free Member

I watched it once or twice, didn’t find it that great, and I watch a fair bit of YouTube stuff.

so I tended not to watch it except for stuff with Anna.

Is she the one that rides around Italy on a gopping Canyon hybrid?

P-Jay
    Free Member

That’s a shame, I seem to recall another cycling channel died on Sky a few years ago too.

Is the Cycle Show still going on ITV4?

I only watched the thing with Anna Glow-whatsit, but since they started putting them on YT a day later I watch it there, the picture on the Bike Channel was terrible, even for Virgin SD stuff.

simondbarnes

I wasn’t aware that existed. I presume it was on satellite / cable / internet?

BoardinBob

It was pretty crap.

Given the streaming stuff like Red Bull and countless other outlets, it was pointless other than trying to sell ad space to companies.

there was nothing on it that you couldn’t get for free elsewhere, and usually in better quality as it was broadcast in SD.

timraven

Me and the pub appeared on it when they came to Bath, so admit to a certain fondness for it.

However, I agree with those that say it’s so much better/ easy to get out on the bike and do it yourself, or at least something close 😆

chrismac

Im not suprised to be honest. They didnt seem to have much original content especially from a MTB perspective. Last week they were showing the atherton diaries from when they were commencal/animal which is a tad dated.

tomhoward

Yeah, shows seemed to be badly (as in the voiceover was simply reading from a script, deadpan, or really over egging it) dubbed tourist board adverts (not necessarily bike destinations), constant repeats and old events. A highlights show of the 04 tdf isn’t my cup of tea

Trimix
    Free Member

I was too knackered to remember then, having ridden all the trail in one day 🙂

I thought it was a DVD.

dragon
    Free Member

I quite liked it for the mtb world cup and some of the cyclocross races through the winter. They also had some interesting running programs on it. Maybe they should have expanded it’s range from Bike to Outdoors, might have given it access to more content.

P-Jay
    Free Member

simondbarnes – Member

I wasn’t aware that existed. I presume it was on satellite / cable / internet?

Yeah tucked away in the high numbers on Sky / Virgin.

It tried, but as others have said, Cycling Fans / Cyclists are now well used to seeking content online, so maybe it was a bit of a throwback, I know personally I hardly, if ever watch anything as it’s broadcast now.

When it cam to bike channel it was a case of watch some badly scripted (like Eurosport back in the day) over-dubed stuff coupled with some nice but low-rez stuff live – I know you can record it, but what’s the point when you can stream it in glorious HD (even 4K sometimes) whenever you want.

jonnyboi

In a non critical way with all these things and people saying it’s a shame how much would you pay for it?

50p per month.

ferrals
    Free Member

Shame, back to watching the euro cyclocross on YouTube then. At least the Dutch commentators are animated, even if I don’t understand a word

deadkenny
    Free Member

philjunior – Member 

That’s Filippa. Forgot that attraction also, though often was dubbed or something I recall. Anna does the UK show Mountain Bike Adventures.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Shame, back to watching the euro cyclocross on YouTube then. At least the Dutch commentators are animated, even if I don’t understand a word

I really enjoy the local commentary even though I understand 1% of it. Oy Yoy Yoy! Will ‘achtervolgers’ catch the leaders? I remember watching a CX race with legit british commentary (NOT Ant McCrossan or Declan Quigley who do the UCI World cup stuff so not sure who it was) and he just droned on monotonously without taking a breath, it was so awful we turned the volume off. There’s quite a few youtube channels that live re-stream the CX stuff (so you’re not fighting with pop ups and crap you get off feeds from the likes of steephill), CYCLING GAMES is one that comes to mind, though it’s usually lower quality than the stuff that gets posted a couple of days later.

oldtalent
    Free Member

gone already? Or rather their website has or maybe its just busted. I was hoping to see the last mtb adventures as I think they were at okeford for the upcoming episode which is local.

colournoise

Still working on Freesat here…

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

they’ve gone into administration so I assume they’ll keep it running as long as possible in order to have something to sell?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

so I tended not to watch it except for stuff with Anna.

No, that was Swedish Filippa in lycra (in Italy??) with a fantastic arse, show (or something like that), Euro Wayne’s World TV on bikes and ebikes as I recall. I quite liked occasionally watching the fairly regular Belgian CX racing, which I’d never experienced before. Also, occasional Atherton Project vids and the like, and there was some reasonable quality road racing, can’t recall if it was TDF, Giro, Vuelta highlights and/or slightly, lower league stuff in exotic places like Australia, UAE, Bahrain, Scarborough. Not surprised it’s folding tho tbh, but a shame, Some of it’s daytime viewing was actually preferable to BBC’s “Auction that Tat you bought on a flee market and see if you can make £5” daytime game show, hosted by a posh bloke with a moustache and wearing tweeds.

Dogsby

I really like the Bike Channel and will be really sad if it goes. Hours of Belgian CX in the winter, Cape Epic. L’eroica, MTB Adventures all with the odd programme about an Italian saddle manufacturer in Italian thrown in! What’s not to love and yes I would pay for it!!

Dogsby

geologist
    Free Member

Where can we watch CX now ?

bikebouy
    Free Member

YouTube.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Bike Channel due to close.’ is closed to new replies.