Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Bike chain/lock
  • GolfChick
    Free Member

My three bikes are currently kept in my flat so chains etc aren’t needed particularly but hopefully in Feb I’ll be moving in with my better half so for the first time in many years I need to buy a chain/lock. I’m aware of being sensible like no one following me home and not unpacking etc it in front of people and actually you’re just guarding against the opportunist and if they want it enough they can have it and home insurance will cover it. All that in mind what’s a decent combo? The plan is the most frequently used will be in the garage next to his old Honda that he keeps there and the road bike and other mtb will be in the shed. My thoughts were chain the bike to the wishbone etc on the car and get something else for the shed. I don’t want to break the bank but want something of decent opportunist quality. What does everyone else use or think?!

Junkyard
    Free Member

just get something that looks beefy reality is it wont be so , unless you want to spend hundreds, they are all easily beaten by say a portable angle grinder

Personally I would go for the many locks[ none that expensive] and a sacrificial bike – ie a bike that it easy to steal relative to the rest and hope they take that.

Put the one in the garage in the car??

PS if they loved you they would let the bikes in the house 😉

cloudnine
    Free Member

Ground anchor bolted to floor or wall and a 16 or 19mm chain and a closed shackle padlock. Worth keeping a check on ebay for second hand Almax and pragmasis chains

deadkenny
    Free Member

Any chance of keeping them in the house somewhere?

Shed or garage – nice quiet places for someone to work and get through the bike lock. Most can be defeated within a few minutes with the right tools and if they think there’s something valuable in there they’ll take the right tools. Still though, with care you may be lucky and avoid anyone noticing so you’d just deter the opportunist. Though if they have a go they might then come back with the right tools or have told someone more professional about it.

Depends how much you value the bikes really (and your insurance). If not in the house then spend a lot on securing shed/garage and then looking at ground anchors and serious bike locks, and even then have the possibility of them stripping what they can off and running with those.

Maybe a heavy duty secure and anchored bike box kept within secure shed/garage (secure isn’t just a padlock – as I learnt).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Bike chain/lock’ is closed to new replies.