Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 150 total)
  • Bike-carrying wagons. Fast ones.
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member
    ti_pin_man
    Free Member

i used to put mine in the back of my 911 convertible, does that count? sadly sold for a 3litre a4 but still…

ha.

EDIT: just remebered I did once have it in the back of a TVR Griffith 500… but only once.

numbnut
    Free Member

and rip the arse out of it sniff of a bump!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I’d like a fast estate one day, but not that one. Maybe I’m too old, but the lowered suspension looks crap and just screams boy racer.

rusty90
    Free Member

Something like this maybe?

uphillcursing
    Free Member

nickewen
    Free Member

I’d have one of these in an instant for bike carrying duties should my numbers come up. 6.0 V8 Bi-Turbo… Aye that should do the trick.

Brabus by VeeeDubStar, on Flickr

Northwind

Nice but not great for parking in ditches. I’ll have a dented spec b legacy for bikes ta and I’ll spend the rest on a house.

tonyg2003

You can’t put a towbar on a RS6 or an E63 otherwise I would be tempted.

TheFlyingOx

I could manage one bike in the RX7, assuming it was extrememly carefully positioned so as not to pop the rear window, and there’s very little this side of 2 wheels that could have beaten that in a 0-60 sprint. It was also considerably more nimble in the corners than any V8 eurobarge I’ve seen. I’ve also managed a bike or two in the wife’s old MX5 and a couple of mk2 MR2s. It wasn’t comfy by any stretch of imagination, but you just said “fast ones.”

Fast and ruinously expensive to keep on the road?

Fast(ish) and a bit more leftfield?

Sandwich

Having driven an S Audi, why would you lower one?
    Quickest way to herniated L4/L5 that I can think of, that and requiring fillings replaced as they are shaken loose.

Northwind

I love the Legnum, face like a fist.

nealglover
    Free Member

Lowering a car doesn’t necessarily make the ride worse.

Better quality springs and shocks than the factory spec, or coil overs, can make the ride much better in a a lot of cases. Even though the ride height is lower.

Mine is maybe 50/60mm lower than standard, but the springs and shocks are far better than the originals, it drives far better generally, much better quality ride and better on rough roads.

Legoman
    Free Member

I’ve always had a thing for the V10 M5 – however as I do upwards of 20k miles a year, unlikely I’ll ever own one!

will
    Free Member

Audi S6 Estate. Looks normal and has a V10.

PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

Here’s mine.
    I use the bike to get back from dropping the car for servicing.

Yetiman
    Free Member

I’ve always had a thing for the V10 M5 – however as I do upwards of 20k miles a year, unlikely I’ll ever own one!

A chap at my work has one. His commute is just 7 miles each way but at 12-14mpg that’s still a gallon per day.

retro83
    Free Member

Are shooting brakes allowed?

sandwicheater

I see you’re working hard on your last day at work. Are you drunk yet?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I see you’re working hard on your last day at work. Are you drunk yet?

Ha!
    Nope, no drinking today.

As for the slammed Audi up there, if you read the article you’ll see its on air suspension so can rise up and over the speedbumps, but still look low.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

I use one of these with Xdrive

bigrich

Deveron53
    Free Member

I used to drive BMW 7 series’ (E32 and E39). The boot is large enough to take a bike with wheels off. The rear seat is big enough for all sorts of lying down…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Lots of ugly cars up there.

number18
    Free Member

I like the BMW and Audis and one of them will probably be my next car in a few years.

stilltortoise – Member
    I’d like a fast estate one day, but not that one. Maybe I’m too old, but the lowered suspension looks crap and just screams boy racer.

Agreed!

Sam

I’d be happy with a fairly stock S6 wagon…

legend
    Free Member

Mine*

*possibly

shedbrewed
    Free Member

I had my road bike in my 911 hardtop; wheels in the boot and back seats down. Would love an M5 touring

edlong
    Free Member

That Audi in the OP looks horrible – it reminds me of the “modded” Saxos and Clios you see thrashing round retail parks on a Friday night.

jambalaya
    Free Member

There used to be a Cayenne turbo quite often in the car park in Peaslake.

I think the Ferrari pictures are a bluff, no one in their right mind would put a mountain bike inside a cream leather car without it being in a bag. First corner/piece of breaking and the inside of the car is covered in marks.

njee20
    Free Member

I could manage one bike in the RX7, assuming it was extrememly carefully positioned so as not to pop the rear window, and there’s very little this side of 2 wheels that could have beaten that in a 0-60 sprint. It was also considerably more nimble in the corners than any V8 eurobarge I’ve seen. I’ve also managed a bike or two in the wife’s old MX5 and a couple of mk2 MR2s. It wasn’t comfy by any stretch of imagination, but you just said “fast ones.”

Surely none of those really qualify as fast, just impractical.

chief1409
    Free Member

I’ve a 330d touring. Around town, its as fast as my old E92 M3 was (in real world terms anyway but thats probably due to current being an auto and the M3 was a manual).
    It has an electric towbar that appears from under the car at the push of a button and hides away when not required. Also, the tailgate window can open independently of the tailgate itself and means i can get easy quick access to the boot when using the towbar bike rack without having to tip the rack and any bikes on it out of the way before opening the boot.
    In terms of a car that ticks all (of my) boxes for a family wagon and a biking wagon i can’t think of a better option.

If i was going for something cheaper then I’d go for a Legacy wagon….

Sam

The owner at the shop I used to work at had a WRX wagon, that was a huge amount of fun to drive…. Not an enormaous amount of carrying capacity, but no real bother to get a couple of bikes in with the back seats down.

northernmatt

I think the Ferrari pictures are a bluff, no one in their right mind would put a mountain bike inside a cream leather car without it being in a bag. First corner/piece of breaking and the inside of the car is covered in marks.

They aren’t. That’s Chris Harris, who writes for evo magazine among other and does his own series of YouTube vids, at bike park wales. I remember seeing the pics in his twitter and thinking wtf!

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

I’ve a 330d touring. Around town, its as fast as my old E92 M3 was (in real world terms anyway but thats probably due to current being an auto and the M3 was a manual).

How fast does it need to be, around town?

br
    Free Member

A chap at my work has one. His commute is just 7 miles each way but at 12-14mpg that’s still a gallon per day.

tbh I had a 2.5TC Triumph in the 80’s and even with the OD on it struggled to do double figures around town. And don’t even get me started on my V8S SD1 🙂

houndlegs
    Free Member

I had my bike in my van the other day and got up to about 70, that’s fast ain’t it?

Northwind

northernmatt – Member

They aren’t. That’s Chris Harris, who writes for evo magazine among other and does his own series of YouTube vids, at bike park wales.

Ah, so it is! He should have taken the 2CV.

JEngledow
    Free Member

How about a Ford Transit with a Jaguar XJ220 engine:

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 150 total)

The topic ‘Bike-carrying wagons. Fast ones.’ is closed to new replies.