• This topic has 20 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by br.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Bike carrying options for a golf
  • andybrad

So im due to get a (new to me) 09 plate golf soon (well for the wife) and this will be the bike car (the RX8 just isnt a suitable bike car atm) Now ive got an old bike rack that has destroyed the boot of the last car as it held the bikes against it. Ive got the go ahead for a new rack for the golf.

So, it has to be fast to attach and easy when covered in mud and raining. The boot on the focus used to take bikes easily but it appears that its noticably smaller on the golf.

So im thinking a saris bones? one of those thule clip on things (although im concerned the rack may get nicked as they are bloody expensive) or a roof rack? The only thing that worries me about the roof rack (apart from being able to reach it) is it clips over the side of the bloody door so looks rubbish. (roof bars would be left on 24-7)

So any tips / advice?

iainc

I had the Thule roof ones on my 07 Golf and they were fine. Removed after 18 months and no marks on car.

Pook

You’re carrying bikes on a car. Aesthetics are out of the window anyway so just whack them on the roof.

kelron
    Free Member

Saris Bones is nice, you still have to strap it into place so it won’t be as quick as something permanently fitted. It’s very well designed and you can leave the straps attached as one piece once you have it set up for your car.

As something you can easily fold away to go in a boot/cupboard it’s great.

lucky7500

You can get bikes in the boot of a Golf pretty easily. I’ve got a 56 plate gti (3 door) and regularly put my Spitfire and TransAM in the back with the seats down.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I use a saris bones 3- great

simon_g

Towbar rack > Roof rack > Folding them seats and putting them inside > Strap-on rubbish tailgate racks.

carlos
    Free Member

You can easy get a Mtb in the boot of a Golf. Mk5 Golf, drop rear seats, move passenger seat forward, front wheel off, rear end in first, lay bars to levers etc face up, lob in the front wheel and riding kit, job done.

I’ve got an old dust sheet laid in the rear to put the bike on. Comfortably fits two bikes and kit in for a day out riding somewhere. You just need to remove both wheels from both bikes and chuck in another dust sheet between them.

Milkie
    Free Member

I’m more interested in if you can get 1 bike in the RX8?

I prefer a roof rack as it’s not susceptible to being rear ended, although in a weedy car it can play havoc with your MPG.

andybrad

mpg isnt an issue.

you can get a bike in the boot in bits (bars turned) and on the back seats in an rx8

im wanting to keep the golf clean so nothing inside.

iainc

If MPG not an issue, a Thule roof system is safe, simple and reliable. The new 598 bike carriers are great in use.

Keva
    Free Member

seats down, roll out dust sheet, wheels off, in.

househusband

Seasucker?

matteggleton
    Free Member

I’d go with the saris Gran Fondo, limited to two bikes but carried vertically, no need for number plate / light board, wheels don’t protrude either side of the car and because the front wheel sits in a “U” shaped carrier it takes seconds to load it. Best bike rack I’ve had bar none….

wiggles
    Free Member

of course MPG isn’t an issue the man has a RX8 for christs sake 😉

chevychase

Towbar. Thule rack. Job done.

jamesy01
    Free Member

If it’s a Mk5 and you’re near central Scotland my sister in law has/had a set of Atera aero bars with 2 Atera Giro bike carriers that were on her car around a month….before she traded it for an Astra 🙄
    Could see if she still has them and get a price if you’re interested?

andybrad

hi,
    Im in huddersfield but would be interested for a low price?

jamesy01
    Free Member

OK, I’ve checked and they are still taking up cupboard space…
    How’d you feel about £125 plus postage?
    The boxes are still in the attic so posting isn’t too much of a problem.

adrec
    Free Member

If you check one if my previous posts about a year ago I’ve got a set of bars for your golf. Haven’t got the bike racks but you can get them from wherever and they’re not that pricy

br
    Free Member

Towbar is the answer, plus works as a parking aid when you’ve not the rack on 😉

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Bike carrying options for a golf’ is closed to new replies.