Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 106 total)
  • Bike Carrying Cars – Show me yours?
  • StefMcDef
    Free Member

2001 Mazda Premacy. Can get a bike with the wheels off in the boot. With the seats down, you can get a 29er with both wheels on in there. Can take any permutation of the back seats out altogether, so it becomes pretty much a van. Have never tried but you could get 3 riders plus bikes in for a weekend away without carrying the bikes on a rack.

dawson

mine is a Toyota Verso

rOcKeTdOg
    fruitbat

@hot_fiat – yes that’s Mrs fruibat’s APE – a fine machine as is my 159 3.2 Q4. Running the latter would benefit from the benevolence of the aforementioned Domenico Rancadore!

Daffy

dmw536
    Free Member

a bit lonely but does the job when I’m desperate to ride and got no mates to give me a lift.

mmel
    Free Member

So I drive a 4 litre 4 wheel drive Passat… Not exactly economical but it goes well and makes a great noise!

The bikes sit on the roof quite happily.

was
    Free Member

Weekends are for toys.

benp1

Any car can be a bike car. You just use the roof or the back

Wanting to put them inside is the only problem

I put my bike in the inside of my 5 series estate as I’ve got a 4 hour drive to Wales tomorrow night for the WRT and would rather get better economy and security/safety. Had to take the front wheel off though as it’s an XL framed 29er so is big, and the back is narrower than many cars as it’s RWD. Put my roof rack in the car in case I want to sling it on top for the return journey ie in case it’s filthy!

Put bikes on the roof all the time though. Dog and trailer for the kids fits in the boot no problem too

scaled
    Free Member

I have one of these handed down from my step dad about 5 years ago, it just won’t die and has cost me nothing in parts in 12 months since the cam belt snapped (and that cost me £240 to repair) Bullet proof

lardman
    Free Member

S-max here. 6 people, 6 bikes and spare space for loads of other gear.
    3 on top, 3 on the back, and third row seats split to give room for bags, tools, wet gear.

Considering the STW stance of pick-up’s being useless, impractical, no more useable space than an estate car, baby robins childrens kittens face mutilating piles of poo – I’ve not seen much on this thread yet to match 5 bikes and 5 adults INSIDE the vehicle 😉

superfli
    Free Member

They do dont they!
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TIuUfylVRI&list=UUh24wCKKtzpuq0RXgOod4hA[/video]

hora
    Free Member

I meant only to keep this 3months. Its been 6months now

hjghg5
    Free Member

The bootjump is genuinely brilliant. Justpop it in the car when you need it, sorted in a couple of minutes and surprisingly comfortable. The bikes can fit inside with it if you put them on the back seat although the rack gives a bit more room for other luggage

Using it for the first time this year tomorrow as we start our trip to ireland. Can’t wait!

dlr

Mk1 Focus Estate, awful but I care so little about it that it is now tolerable! With the seats down my 20″ 140/120mm travel 29FS fits in with both wheels on having only to compress the Reverb

pictonroad

Bike or roof can be a dilemma

core

So, basically, any car at all.

Kryton57

So e of these cars make my nervousness about mpg with a bike on the roof laughable….

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Another SMax here. Very versatile:-

3-up on roof bars. Pro’s are that the car is high so getting the bikes up there can be a challenge, but very quick and convenient. Con’s are lack of security.

2 carried internally via an internal rack system. Pro’s are the bikes are inside and properly secured without straps ext. Con’s are you’re only limited to 2 bikes as it takes up the rear seats.

core

That Amdro bootjump kit looks amazing, fair play, what a design.

Sundayjumper

Crap, reading through this thread I thought I’d be the first one to post a pic of a Porche with a roof rack 🙁

Mine:

Also an old BMW Compact for commuting duties, seats down it easily takes my bike in the back with the front wheel out. You could probably manage two bikes, people & kit OK but I’ve never tried it.

spooky_b329

Honda Civic with a towbar rack.

Rack lives in the boot all week, rear seat bases stay flipped up resulting in a second ‘boot’ for shopping and the various huge bags of horse feed that always seem to be in the car.

Milkie
    Free Member

I’ve posted this a few times.. Friends RS2000 ready for our return trip home. Custom made bike carriers.

2 Bikes, 2 people and enough kit for 2 weeks in the Alps.

zoo200
    Free Member

Not my image but i have a 968 in black my saracen myst goes in fine

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

My old Focus swallowed bikes whole.

Current Octavia is nearly as good, but has an annoying boot lip.

I’d look at a Mondeo, but I also quite fancy a Scooby Legacy.

PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

As we are now doing “any car goes”.

Milkie
    Free Member

Can you fit a DH bike in the boot of a Chimaera? Or is it a bit of a struggle for that little bike?

dlr

pictonroad: roofs don’t really do much on them 🙂 A friend turned up for a ride before with his bike/rack attached to the roll bar of his Seight 🙂

Pz_Steve

WelshFarmer surely wins this thread with his Land Rover? I’m loving the Caterham and MX5, too, proof that you don’t have to compromise on a fun car if you want to carry a bike (or two).

My nephew and I did the PPS last year in my MX-5. Just over 2,000 miles with a couple of bikes and everything for a long weekend. Was a bit of a squeeze, but made it so much more of an event than if we’d gone in something “sensible”!

tinkertaylor1981
    Free Member

The fancy hydraulic lift things came with the roof bars from Ebay.

Bike usually goes in the back when I’m on my own.

Car is ace. Love the DSG.

Bike is ace too, though keep wondering if modern shocks would do the Genius thing for me without all the switching…

gonzy
    Free Member

got one of these last summer…i wanted a proper estate but the wife wasnt having any of it…apparently estates are for old people!! 😯

with front wheel off the bike just about squeezes in diagonally in the back with the seats down…with both wheels off its not a problem

the back seats on these are the dumbest design ever…they take up so much space when folded up…next car will be a proper estate…wifey will just have to get used to it

tomawest
    Free Member

Getting this in 2 months 😀 Can’t wait!

zoo200
    Free Member

Nearly bought one of those last year, lovely car

PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

Milkie,

Don’t have a downhill bike, so I don’t know.
    The hardtail is a large frame and it goes in the TVR fine, always surprises people when I lift it out or pack it away.

petemcd
    Free Member

Jeepers that Amdro Boot Jump looks unreal.

muddyfool

I have no pictures but can confirm that going from a smallish car to a large estate was a revelation for bike-carrying. I’ve only used it a few times due to injury but can just chuck the bike in without even taking the front wheel off (the full suss is a tight fit because of silly wide handlebars but my hardtail goes in easily).

Another bonus is being able to sit on the boot edge when changing shoes, kneepads, etc. Much better than trying to do it in the passenger seat or hopping one one leg…

hora
    Free Member

tinkertaylor1981 nice car 🙂

scandal42
    Free Member

When are you back out on 2 wheels mate?

cinnamon_girl

Oh, do I have to have children to buy an estate?

Nope, mine are adult and left home yonks ago. My small estate is perfect for me and my bikes. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘Bike Carrying Cars – Show me yours?’ is closed to new replies.