Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)
  • Bike Carrying Cars – Show me yours?
  • scandal42
    Free Member

I am needing a new car in the near future, however I want something that will be able to accomodate bikes either on the roof or on a tow ball on the rear.

Some cars look much better than others for this purpose, what do you have?

Please consider my budget for this will not stretch to a new Audi 😀

ElShalimo

My Mazda6 in the classifieds
    Perfect bike carrying motorway machine

You can chuck 2 or 3 bikes in the huge boot with the seats down and it has a tow bar for a rack. We used a platform style rack

joshvegas
    Free Member

[Img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-5OzaHapct5Y/URR9FTq4_OI/AAAAAAAAAAM/8zBGoAFvpkc/s1600/India+Scrap.jpg[/img]

Not a bike but the best i could do.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    phinbob

Can seat 8, carry 4 bikes on the back, a few inside and still have room for gear.

Plus on long trips you get plenty of rests at all the petrol stations you stop at. 42 gallons takes a while to fill.

lucien

Plus on long trips you get plenty of rests at all the petrol stations you stop at. 42 gallons takes a while to fill.

And a wait for approval of the bank loan……. 😯

Harry_the_Spider

Bought one of these 6 months ago.

Drives like a car, hauls like a cargo ship.

4 (not very well arranged) bikes and kit in the back – very wet and muddy bikes and kit at the end of the day. 4 adults in the front. Could do 5 bikes + 5 adults at a push….

[url=https://flic.kr/p/jRck3e]Untitled[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

bspoked
    Free Member

welshfarmer

Mine in the foreground

Bike fits in without needing to be taken to bits

and comes with a fold down bed for weekends away 😀

Bregante

I can’t believe I’ve had my frv now for almost 10 yrs! Stupidly practical car.

5 adults and 5 big bikes plus luggage to Scotland and back no bother (2 on roof and 3 on the towball mounted rack).

Northwind

[url=https://flic.kr/p/io9wXo]IMAG0286[/url] by Northwindlowlander, on Flickr

It is scabby and a little bit past its prime but it does the job really, really well. Well, most of the time,sometimes it goes on strike and creates smog instead 😳 I do have roof bars for it but I don’t think I’ve ever used them, it’ll swallow at least 6 bikes without even trying.

bspoked
    Free Member

Was thinking about 110 landrover. Loving seeing that with a bike and a bed in the back. Ta.

DezB
    Free Member

Mondeo innit

Has a removable tow bar, which is somewhere under that boot. I’ve never used it.

wiggles
    Free Member

One of these (exactly the same as mine)

Fold the back seats and bikes fit in with both wheels easily.

freeagent
    Free Member

2014 Passat Estate – the boot is absolutely huge!!

penguinni

maxtorque

Absolutely bl**dy useless for carrying bikes, but goes well 😉

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Bike car. Nothing special, but it’s better than a van!

Kryton57

When it was newer:

Two go on the roof or one on the back seat, not terribly practical otherwise. Anyone fancy a swap?

breadcrumb

Not carried any bikes on it yet but I picked up this Accord Tourer the other week, swallows a bike whole no problem.

Really impressed, wish I’d gone with an estate ages ago!

scandal42
    Free Member

Some good bike swollowers there guys, cheers.

Welshfarmer, love that setup, would be ace for event weekends.

Goes off to look at estates…..

scandal42
    Free Member

Oh, do I have to have children to buy an estate?

P20

We’ve been really happy with our Octavia 4×4. It’s comfortable, we took it to Spain last year. Good on fuel, average 47mpg, 2wd would be better. Takes all the kit, large tent, bikes, walking, camera kit, stove etc all inside the car. It’s now on 135k and in the 70k I’ve owned it, other than routine stuff, I’ve had to fix the Aircon. Highly recommended.

The only car in Blanchland car park by ritcheyp20, on Flickr

It all fits in the car! by ritcheyp20, on Flickr

hjghg5
    Free Member

A berlingo swallows (at least) two bikes with wheels on no problem. But we’re about to go on a 10 day camping trip to Ireland where we’ll sleep inside (Amdro Bootjump) so the bikes go on the outside instead

[url=https://flic.kr/p/nb1KYc]Untitled[/url] by helen_goldthorpe, on Flickr

breadcrumb

Oh, do I have to have children to buy an estate?

34 with no kids here. Thought about getting a van but decided to go down the big ass car route.

br
    Free Member

himupstairs

kids schmids. big estates are ace.

have a wee alpina b3 that broke 2 gearboxes, did about 18 mpg, was useless for carrying bikes (but still just about fitted 3 bikes and folk in). went quite fast though:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/6WsLUQ]b3 full of bikes[/url] by eck johnston, on Flickr

or any one of these

[url=https://flic.kr/p/aHECGt]would’ve been an ace continental convoy..[/url] by eck johnston, on Flickr

Tracey

On our second one, thats the Picasso not the ice cream, four bikes up on a regular basis. Loads of trips around the UK and to the Alps. Seven seats at the pull of a lever or two and a boot like the Tardis with five seats

satchm00
    Free Member

Track car come bike carrying satchwagon…

maxtorque

^^^^^^Doing your fav Karaoke number there then Tracey?? 😉

Simon

Slow, old, thirsty but I love it.
    Might be going soon for something more sensible 🙁

fruitbat

This –

or this –

kimbers

got us one of them 10grand zafiras, does the job so much easier than the old focus

reckon Ill be able to get me, wife, 2 kids, trailer, my bike, wifes bike and 2 balance bikes plus a 10days kit for me and the family london to scotland for ukge/ews/tweedlove

havent actually tried it yet possible ill have to stick my bike on the saris, but certainly managed fine with me a mate 2 bikes and kit up to Ae last month

garage-dweller

No pics but 04 Mondeo estate here. Can get three bikes wheels out in the boot looks fi e with boot or roof ornaments.

Frankly most box shaped euro or Japanese wagons would do me these days just a tool to do a job 95% of the time.

hot_fiat

Fruitbat: you are Domenico Rancadore and I claim my 100000000 Lire. Is that an APE in the background?

loddrik
    Free Member

Touran 2.0 TDi Sport DSG (remapped 😉 )

Wife will absolutely resolutely not let me take an mtb anywhere near her Golf, though the Brompton fits in just nicely.

matt_outandabout

Meh, the Touran. Works. Is mega practical and quite comfy. Does good mpg. Parts cost a lot. It gies wrong much more than it should. Carries five of us and five bikes regularly.

More snow…. 🙂 by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

garage-dweller

Am I the only one to be surprised by the posting up of cars with number plates showing, bikes on roof outside user’s own homes?????

Tracey

Old one here, both have self leveling rear suspension, great for those heavy loads

[Img]http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m588/traceylawton1/Biking/langsett01.jpg[/img]

andybanks
    Free Member

One of these.

Loads of space but still put the bikes on the roof. Need step ladders to get it up there.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘Bike Carrying Cars – Show me yours?’ is closed to new replies.