Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Bike carriers – do you use a lighting board ?
  • justa
    Free Member

Was looking at one of these

Presume you would need a lighting board – anyone use one or similar and have a piccie ? Will it definitely need a lighting board ?

I really don’t want to splash out on a towbar but I’m not convinced about any other method..

timraven

Yes, you will need a board.
    If you’re going for a towbar anyway get a ride on carrier, the top tube support ones scratch bikes all the time particularly with suspension bikes.
    Thule do a 3 bike ride on for about £100 at Halfords I believe.

gusamc
    Free Member

yes, however you can fit lectrics without a towbar.

*check manual/with trade etc (modern car electrics can be tetchy with additions- also some cars have buit in tow plug interfaces).

But on my old car I just scotchlocked (blue plastic clamps with metal insert that joins cables) the car side cable onto the rear light cluster wires and stainless steel wired the plug to the towing hitch – bit fiddly to get to but worked fine.

gusamc
    Free Member

Sorry by towing hitch meant the built in car tow hitch at the rear of the car under the bumper.

antigee

well i guess depends on geometry cars and bikes – i have a towbar mounted rack because it is the most secure way to carry bikes but i wouldn’t buy the same one again as the bikes rub – though i used some karrimat and now some specially shaped slot on defenders that decathlon do

i use a lighting board because believe from many years of doing 30k per year that the possibility of being rear ended at the back of a slowdown/queue is very high and anything that reduces possibility being shunted from the rear is worth the money
    – reckon if go to lakes for a weekend cars on mway with lighting boards and bikes are in a minority – though some tailgate strap on racks with some cars do lift the bikes above the lights
    and if you’ve room can always take the wheels off!
    and getting a number plate made up needs more documents than the average criminal would require

aP
    Free Member

Yes, it means that you’re more visible, and legal.

Biffer
    Free Member

After being stopped by the boys in blue I have recently had an electric socket fitted to the car. It is stowed under the boot floor so when I need to use a board I just feed the cable through the boot. Simple to do and means you don’t have to worry about the fuzz.

Thin k it cost about £75 to have fitted. If you get stopped then fine is £30 I think.

ji
    Free Member

The high racks are not legal on most cars either, as they obscure the third brake light that most now have.

phiiiiil

I am a bad person.

I attach another number plate to the back of my bike on the rack, but I don’t bother with any lights – you can see them through the wheels without too much trouble.

I’ve been doing this for a number of years without any bother from the rozzers…

spooky_b329

I had a high rack (and no 3rd brake light) so no board required.

I’d always use one if needed though as if someone shunts into you, you could be deemed at fault as the tailgater claims they couldn’t see your lights clearly. (even if they are only behind your spokes)

sometimerider
    Free Member

Second spooky. At the very least, their insurance would be doing you for contributory negligence.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Bike carriers – do you use a lighting board ?’ is closed to new replies.