Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Bike Carriers & New Mondeos
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

Having picked up my new car the other week, I’ve decided to look into bike carriers and found they’re bloody expensive when you go for summit like roof bars & carriers.

I thought of the towbar mounted option but as It’s a company car they have a list of approved suppliers for towbars so no discounts there 🙁

I rummaged in the shed and found a halfords boot mounted bike carrier 😀

Now the new mondeo has composite panels at the rear that deform/reform in low speed impacts, the upper bit of the hatch is metal and the lower is composite.

Is this going to cause any issues with the carrier resting against the lower half of the hatch when loaded with bikes?

If so what would you recommend?

steveh

I wouldn’t fancy it as there is still some load from the straps at the bottom of the boot. A mate had a citroen zx years ago (totally composite boot) and cracked the boot with a strap on rack. Luckily he noticed before it failed.

Don’t forget you’ll need at least a light socket wiring in anyway to give you a lightboard. I don’t imagine the company will be impressed if someone drives into you cos they couldn’t see your lights.

Personally I’d go towbar and http://www.aistoncycleracks.co.uk for a wheel support type rack. Like Pendle ones but better in every way and cheaper.

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

you’ve got a car for nowt,splash out on a Thule ya tight wad 😀

steve_b77
    Free Member

Young Dave riley – Member
    you’ve got a car for nowt,splash out on a Thule ya tight wad

Of course Company Car tax is free 😛

Yup and I’m a tight wad 😆

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Bike Carriers & New Mondeos’ is closed to new replies.