Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Bike carrier for a new style VW Scirocco
  • DickBarton

I'd guess as it's a squashed VW Golf then the roof mount options for the Golf will fit the Scirocco.

Personally, I think a detachable towbar and Altera rack would be the way forward – the Altera (think that is the right spelling but it might be Altea) ha a slide and tilt option whereas the Thule's just seem to have tilt – it works but the slide and tilt gives much better access to the boot.

As for the cars – I prefer the Scirocco looks to the Golf but I don't like either – mainly due to the Golf being common as muck (and the Scirocco just makes me think it's a Golf that has been squashed and had some more money added to the price tag) – I've driven a few variants and it didn't really stand out against what else I've driven – nice to drive but not really something that would make me buy it over anything else*. If going Scirocco then it needs to be the sportier ones as in 'normal' guise it looks like you can't afford the one you want.

The Volvo is a pretty good car but the boot loading area is tiny and the actual boot space seems to be poorly thought out – not driven one but I'd expect it to be very similar to the Ford Focus in drive – nothing wrong there but doesn't shine.

I've been lucky enough to have a shot in a fair few cars (and vans over the years) but I definitely don't have a mainstream view on cars – I know what I like but it tends to be a bit different to the norm – practicality and power get my interest but looks don't tend to come into it.

End of the day, it's your money and you that will be driving it so don't really bother what others think – if it ticks your boxes then go for it.

* Saying that, compared to my Fiat Bravo Sport 150 it does seem much more planted on the ground, but I suspect my Fiat's alignment is needing looked at as it never used to feel like that.

My attempt at a car review is now over…towball/rack would be first choice if going Scirocco; roof rack next (it's not that tall so shouldn't be an issue loading bikes on and the rack mounts you get are likely to clamp round the roofline/door interface (or window interface) – my mate has some Thule roofbars for his Gold Limited 30 and the rear ones looks as though they just sit there, they don't appear to be attached in anyway but I think they clamp hard against the body so get a good hold.

Rear racks – personally I don't trust them, my experience of them has seen more bikes falling off than with any other form of carrying the bike (not my bike or me who put them on) – the straps kept working loose and needed constant adjustment. I don't think it is as good a way for carrying bikes about as roof or towball options.

Saris Bones are a very good rear rack so give that a shot if you want to use a rear mounted rack.

Skyliner
    Free Member

Volkswagen do roof bars for Scirocco's. Part number 1K8071126. £270.

pixelmix
    Free Member

A roof rack over the glass roof no less! 😯

Has anyone got any first hand experience of the VW roof racks?

DickBarton

I don't but it does look very similar to a Thule design…might well be made by Thule and repackaged as VW…mighty expensive though.

My personal choice with glass roofs is not to have one but only because I rolled a car down a rather steep embankment a few years back and I'm glad I didn't have a a sunroof/glass roof as it would have caused more damage/injury…just personal choice but I'm not convinced the glass roof area is as strong as a metal area…

Pook

I have. used to have a rack on a golf. Bloody secure it was too. Solid mounting, nice aero bars didn't have much effect on fuel economy. Locking bars were an extra though and you put some little barrel locks into them.

BadlyWiredDog

I thought the new 'rocco was hideous in pictures, like a Golf after being sat on by an elephant, but slightly better in real life. Still a bit generic though. Never been tail-gated by one on the motorway.

Corrado VR6 / Mk2 GTi – does that mean my comments have some sort of validity then 😉

Skyliner
    Free Member

Fitted one last week and the kits is very high quality, even came with a 6nm torque spanner so you dont over tighten them. The fit as you would imagine was spot on.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Skyliner, do you mean you fitted the VW bars last week to a Scirocco?

Are the easy to take on and off regularly? I wouldn't want to leave them on permanently, so would probably want to fit them twice a month or so.

Skyliner
    Free Member

Yes and Yes, takes 15 mins max. Best if there are two of you just to protect the paint on the roof.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Bike carrier for a new style VW Scirocco’ is closed to new replies.