Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • bike / car collision
  • bamford
    Free Member

Been in a collision today at 8:10pm ish,
    Accepted £140 at the scene of the accident and the guy filmed him handing it me, do I report the incident still or just assume its done?

brooess
    Free Member

I think you have to report a collision don’t you?
    If he was at fault I personally wouldn’t accept his ££, but take it to the law – otherwise he’s kind of just buying his way out of proper justice… (not judging you for taking the cash, just thinking about not letting someone get away with hurting a cyclist)

scotroutes

Report it in case it comes back to haunt you. Pretty good chance he was uninsured, driving without a license, no MOT, under the influence etc too.

irc

Why report it if you are happy with the £140. There is no legal requirement for a cyclist to report any accident. The duty to report certain accidents applies only to drivers of motor vehicles.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/170

bamford
    Free Member

Probably daft of me to accept the money, but my wheel looks like a taco, only thing wrong with me so far is loss of skin!

How do I go about it, even though I have the £140 and he recorded it?

bamford
    Free Member

He was an asian guy, with a passenger, passenger did the most talking, couldn’t have been anymore thoughtful though, offered to give me a lift home, as he knew he was in the wrong, sure they don’t drink?!

faz083
    Free Member

By accepting the money, to me, you’d look an idiot if you suddenly ‘changed your mind’. It’d really annoy me if the person went back on a gentlemans agreement.

£140 is what you agreed. Just accept it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

He was an asian guy, with a passenger, passenger did the most talking, couldn’t have been anymore thoughtful though, offered to give me a lift home, as he knew he was in the wrong, sure they don’t drink?!

Nice bit of casual generalisation in there.

Simple to do now.
    Walk into Police Station
    I’d like to report an accident with a car. This is what happened, these are the details of the driver.
    As above if he is un licensed,insured,mot’d then the police need to do a follow up and they should not be on the road

crankboy
    Free Member

Not enough info, if this was a genuine accident then the party at fault would end up paying the other party compensation , is that not what has happened? are you happy £140 covers the cost of your wheel and injury?

There is a legal obligation on drivers to report injury accidents to the police.

Either he has no insurance and did not want to get done or he thought he would rather sort things out privately than go through insurers.

Personally i can see why you accepted the cash and why you now have an odd feeling about it but unless your arm now drops off you would look a bit of a richard reporting it . A roadside compromise of a cicvil claim like this is unlikely to be legaly binding in the event your losses exceed £140.

bamford
    Free Member

Would I tell them about the acceptance of money also, I want to report it mostly due to the above mentioned, about coming back to haunt you,it’ll have to wait till tomorrow anyway, but ideally I don’t want uninsured drivers, driving around on my route home!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Would I tell them about the acceptance of money also,

General rule don’t lie to the police (or omit things)
    Just explain what happened and that will be that. If your happy with the money as compensation then that is fine (if they paid it to you to settle damage) if they paid you to keep quiet then that is a different matter.

bamford
    Free Member

The money will pay for a cheapo wheel for commuting, and I can’t pay for new skin or tender shins!, it’s just niggling at my mind whether I should, just incase he’s driving illegally and peace of mind!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

And that whiplash you got is worth more than £140…

bamford
    Free Member

The money was purely for settling damages, he wasn’t trying to be sly in anyway, so I report it anyway?

Junkyard
    Free Member

tbh you report it or you take the money doing both is taking the piss a bit IMHO
    will you give him his money back now or is iot just you who is not sticking to the deal?

FWIW I dont think you should have accepted the money but you have

mikewsmith
    Free Member

OK – so I have a bit of an issue with reporting and collisions but you need to report this, otherwise it never happened, it doesn’t go into the bike vs car stats and it’s a problem that never exists. If the driver was at fault then they are happy to carry on knowing that they can just pay to get out of trouble.
    It will take 30mins of your life to report it. If there is nothing wrong then at least the car/driver will get run through the computer. If they have something wrong then it will pick it up, if this is not the first time it will pick it up.

tbh you report it or you take the money doing both is taking the piss a bit IMHO
    will you give him his money back now or is iot just you who is not sticking to the deal?

If the money was for damages then thats fine, if the money was to keep quiet then thats very wrong

poly
    Free Member

Junkyard – lazarus

I don’t follow – the money is financial recompense for the damage. Claiming it off his insurers now would be dodgy (although if for some reason £140 didn’t cover the damage then perhaps not). The “deal” is: here is money for the damage NOT here is money to keep quiet.

BUT reporting it to the police is HIS legal responsibility if there is an accident resulting in injury (which this would seem to have). If he fails to do so because he doesn’t realise he needs to or doesn’t think it was serious enough he is a plank, his attitude will likely determine if he gets slapped wrists, or prosecuted. If he intentionally avoiding the police because he is not legal then the roads would be safer if the police followed up.

user-removed
    Free Member

Done deal. Don’t be a dick.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Does wing mirror clash on narrow roads come under “accident”, if so the police would have more reports than they could cope with!

spacemonkey

Perhaps he offered you the settlement because he’s uninsured blah blah and would naturally prefer not to be found out.

Report incident and include reg plate etc.

bamford
    Free Member

But surely if he has no insurance, no one else on here would want to meet his car?

So legally the driver must report it regardless of money involved?

Only got his REG details, didn’t quite catch his name at the end, before I left scene! Possibly Brohan?

CHB

To be fair, after being knockced off you were probably in shock and not thinking straight. In these circumstances its hardly surprising that in haste you took a wad of notes waved in your face. Once the shock subsided you probably now have a clearer view on the matter.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Does wing mirror clash on narrow roads come under “accident”, if so the police would have more reports than they could cope with!

Yes, I was followed up after one.

bamford
    Free Member

Does it matter that I’m on video accepting cash, I don’t want to claim further, but the niggling doubt of him having no insurance and it could happen again…

hora
    Free Member

Does it matter that I’m on video accepting cash, I don’t want to claim further, but the niggling doubt of him having no insurance and it could happen again…

So why did he video it then? The mentality says that hes recorded it as hes more than willing to produce it at a later date if questioned, ergo hes legit.

Are you looking for more money? Are you looking for ire and retribution? WTF.

Just for balance OP, I once rear ended a car at a low speed. The guy got out (ASIAN), he looked at the rear bumper, shrugged and drove off. I never heard anything. Ever since.

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

You have said that you don’t want to claim. There is no proof that he has no insurance. Many people offer to settle the claim outside insurance to protect no claims, jumpting to the conclusion that he has no insurance is unfounded. The fact that he has £140 on him would leave me to think that he probably is insured. He doesnt sound like a scrote driving 20 year old hot hatch who cant afford insurance that our roads are littered with.

Forget the matter and move on.

bamford
    Free Member

neither of them had money on them, i waited at the scene why he rung a friend who dropped money off 🙂

he was definitely not a scrote, but he was driving a ‘hot hatch’

samuri
    Free Member

Did the £140 come out of a massive wodge of cash the size of a brick?

Personally, I’d report it. The money was for the repair, not for keeping quiet about the accident. (Although that may well have been his motive)

atlaz
    Free Member

If the driver was at fault then they are happy to carry on knowing that they can just pay to get out of trouble.

My grandfather would often pay people in his later years when he bumped their car with his car. If there was damage he’d still report it to the police and tell them he’d paid for the damage. It just avoided the insurance companies getting involved. It was never about avoiding taking responsibility, just about not having the hassle of paperwork etc.

There’s no evidence to suggest that this person has done anything different. I’d agree it’s unlikely he’s contacted the police but you’d be surprised how many people aren’t aware that they’re required to. A former colleague ended up in court over leaving the scene of an accident and tried to turn it into a conspiracy/race/sex thing but, frankly, she was mental anyway. She never once accepted that the problem was leaving the accident and not contacting the police afterwards.

On another angle of this, we all moan about drivers not taking responsibility and paying a pittance in damages when they’ve trashed a bike, helmet, gear etc. Sounds like this bloke accepted his part in the problem and offered to make good. I’m not sure we should be assuming he’s evil.

martinhutch

CHB +1

It’s your call – if you would feel more comfortable reporting it, go ahead. You don’t owe the guy anything just because he got his wallet out at the scene. I’m guessing that you don’t have the name of the driver though, so even if he wasn’t insured, it’s going to be difficult for the police to get anywhere.

I don’t agree with the idea that having a bundle of cash on him makes it less likely that he was uninsured or disqualified. I used to be amazed at the number of ‘respectable’ seeming folk who I saw in court for these type of offences.

I suppose the fact he stopped in the first place is the thing that makes me think there’s a good chance he’s legit.

FuzzyWuzzy

I wouldn’t report it personally, I’m assuming you told him £140 would cover the damage to your bike rather than him coming up with that figure. Skin grows back and if he was apologetic I’d take it as that, just because he wanted to avoid reporting it doesn’t mean he’s uninsured (in fact I’d say the opposite, he was probably trying to avoid getting his insurance involved).

allthepies
    Free Member

If you’re happy with the outcome then don’t waste police time IMO.

hora
    Free Member

If a 60 old smartly dressed man had got out of his Honda CRV speaking the Queens English and given you money would you be suspicious to report?

He could really need an eye-test or be on prescription drugs which affect his driving.

v8ninety

In my experience on the Ambos police don’t tend to consider accidents as reportable unless there is significant injury; ie more than just whiplash or a couple of cuts n bruises. Whether this is official guidance or just roadside triage I couldn’t say. (Although that’s not for the driver to decide, tbf)

If you suspect that he’s uninsured just AskMID. Bet he is though; if he wasn’t I suspect that he’d have just done one sharpish.

globalti
    Free Member

Sounds like he’s the kind of driver who woudn’t want the Police involved so he bribed you with cash to keep quiet. Even if nothing else happens you ought to report the incident because there may already be a history attached to this driver on the Police computer.

Ring the Police non-emergency number and ask them to take a report. In Lancashire it’s 0845 1 25 35 45.

hora
    Free Member

Sounds like he’s the kind of driver who woudn’t want the Police involved so he bribed you with cash to keep quiet. Even if nothing else happens you ought to report the incident because there may already be a history attached to this driver on the Police computer.

If I knocked a cyclist off, after making sure he/she was ok and the chap/lady said ‘just a wheel/bit of grazing’ and he accepted money/agreed for the damage then I’d consider it done. Whats sinister about that?

Would you’all have insisted the Police and Ambulance service attend along with a paramedic/helicopter?

Just satisfy your latent racist subconscious and report him.

bigyinn
    Free Member

£140 for a “cheapo” wheel???!!

bamford
    Free Member

he stopped straight away, jumped out of the car, accepted blame and asked if i needed an ambulance, another local came out with a drink for me and the driver waited until i was sure i was fine, and got picked up by the other half!

he did mention he’d prefer to do it the way he did than go through insurance, due to all the other costs!

If you’re happy with the outcome then don’t waste police time IMO.

this also ‘allthepies’ i’m torn between being a time waster and doing good by possibly removing an uninsured driver, he seemed very legit though.

bamford
    Free Member

£140 for a “cheapo” wheel???!!

‘bigyinn’ 40 was for the wheel and the rest incase i noticed anything else after, cables bent bars etc.

he did say i will take the bike and get it repaired and give you a call, or you can take money and source the parts yourself!

hora
    Free Member

he stopped straight away, jumped out of the car, accepted blame and asked if i needed an ambulance, another local came out with a drink for me and the driver waited until i was sure i was fine, and got picked up by the other half!

That doesn’t sound like the act of someone who is shifty.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘bike / car collision’ is closed to new replies.