Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Bike Cage
  • mactheknife

Righto all, just a quick question that may be blooming obvious but not to me 🙂

I have nowhere particularly secure to store my ever growing bike habit and as i know how to weld and Metalwork I’m gonna build a cage in a few weeks for inside my shed.

Now I know its not foolproof but it is by far my best option at the moment.

Now to the question. Where do I go about ordering angle iron and sheet steel. Mesh is probably best.

Thought about a blacksmith but after ringing one he told me that he wouldn’t order it for me.

Cheers

Brycey
    Free Member

A steel stockholder. Plenty of them about. You’ll might have a bit of hassle paying cash as they’ll be used to accounts.

andyl
    Free Member

search for your local metal stockholder and see if you can get a price list to base your design on.

You want to make the bars as bulky as possible to make it as difficult to cut as possible. eg get a few lengths of square box section and weld them together. Make it really hard t get bolt croppers round (don’t underestimate the size you can get them in!) as single hollow tubes will just crush and cut easy but solid bars will be really heavy and expensive.

edit: beaten to it as I was waffling

mactheknife

Nice one guys thanks, yea I need to measure the bike up and get a rough design sorted. That’s the easy part so far 🙂

I’m not too bothered if they can get into it with an angle grinder as where I live they would be heard straight away. But good shout on bolt cutters getting through the mesh.

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

How about the concrete reinforcing sheets that are just like giant mesh?

elzorillo
    Free Member

A pal had a cage made from this stuff..

Got up with his baby at 4am and caught someone in his garage. The guy had completely dismantled the bike through the bars leaving just the frame. He’d even removed the forks!!

Luckily he caught him and severe old style justice was dealt 😉

mactheknife

Nice idea matzzzzz. Need to look into this a bit further. My idea was to have mesh panels that are vey close together. I find it hard to describe but I know exactly what I need.

Found a few metal stockholders locally so I’ll go round and have a chatwhen I have my measurements sorted.

Thanks again.

andyl
    Free Member

pop down your local agricultural store and pick up some electric fence stuff 😀

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I have a similar setup to the one you’re describing. I managed to find the right size cage on eBay.it took a couple of months for an appropriate one to come up but it ended up costing around £150 for a 3x3m square cage.

epicyclo

Cage is a good idea. Catch the first thieving scrote and hang him by his ankles in it. Discourages the others. 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Bike Cage’ is closed to new replies.