Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Bike building help
  • Ed2001
    Free Member

My wife wants to start riding- tow paths, park, road ,bridleways So I feel a lightweight hybrid would be good choice.I have a mountain bike but it’s the wrong size .How easy would it be to buy a hybrid frame and swap the components over disc brakes etc and what will I need to think about.Thanks for your help sorry if this is a bit of a numpty question but I like to ride clean and oil my bike I’m not into the mechanical side.

akira

Wheels will be the wrong size is imagine, plus you’ll probably need new headset, new seatpost, maybe new cables at the very least, by the time you’ve bought all the extra stuff it’ll be the same price as a basic hybrid.

Ed2001
    Free Member

Thanks

joshvegas
    Free Member

How big does she need?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

BB too, brakes may also need some adapters. The likes of Spec/Giant will do something fairly sensibly priced

Ed2001
    Free Member

I think a secondhand hybrid is the way forward.She wants to do the Manchester to Liverpool bike ride for charity and I feel a light hybrid will be better than a mountain bike for 40 miles.What are the Boardman hybrids like and any others I should look for.Sorry for changing the thread btw.

buckster
    Free Member

Whatever you do make sure it fits otherwise cycling is no fun

scotroutes

If you have to ask…..

You could end up with a lot of hassle, wrong parts and fitting issues. Buying a new, or 2nd hand, hybrid would likely be cheaper and a whole lot easier.

Ed2001
    Free Member

Thanks Buckster I’m well aware of that which my mountain bike is no good as long term solution.

akira

boardman are pretty good, get along to a halfords and get her to sit on one and she how she likes it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Bike building help’ is closed to new replies.