Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Bike builder in the South East – Kent/Sussex
  • winston_dog
    Free Member

Looking at a new Enigma road bike.

I could save quite a bit by sourcing the parts and frame from a number of different suppliers, probably about £500 compared with what Enigma would charge me.

Can anyone recommend a good bike builder/shop in the SE who are happy to work with stuff bought elsewhere.

When I was in Glasgow a few years ago I used Willy Bain and he was excellent. I am considering getting it all shipped to him and sent back when complete, but would really prefer to use someone local.

belugabob
    Free Member

Do you mean a bike assembler?

If so, any decent bike shop should be able to do it – or a decent friend, even.
    Assembling bikes is not difficult.

JRTG
    Free Member

^as above, I’m sure you can find a helpful local with all the tools. I’m near Brighton and may be persuaded to help and run through it with you so you can do it yourself the next time. Assembling a brand new bike is one of the best parts of working in a bike shop, you just need the right basic tools for the job.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tpbiker
    Free Member

Agree with above…once you have the tools its fairly easy, I’ve managed it (just built my first bike from scratch) and I’m the worlds worst home mechanic. All the guides are online and all the bits I got stuck with the helpful folks from STW forum helped me out.

I managed it with a set of allen keys, cable cutters, BB and crank tool and a cassette tool. Certainly a learning cure but useful skills to have.

Only thing I didn’t attempt was setting the headset cups. Tool was a fortune, and rather than attempt to get it in with a block of wood and a hammer I opted to pay my LBS 4 quid for 5 min labour…

Not ridden it yet mind…will probably all fall apart first time I hit a bump…

Bazz

Winston_dog, don’t know where your based but i’m near East Grinstead and will happily help out if you like. My e mail is in my profile if you want to contact me.

winston_dog
    Free Member

Thanks for the kind offers gents.

I built an Inbred 456 up a couple of years ago and it went okay, donor parts from an older bike rather than brand new.

I got the frame supplied with a new headset put in.

It was more to do with this being a £2000 – £2500 bike and not wanting to **** it up!

Getting the cable runs right, always seems a bit tricky!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Bike builder in the South East – Kent/Sussex’ is closed to new replies.