Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Bike build weekend…
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Finally getting around to building up a 29er Scandal I’ve had since last xmas…

Hope headset went in with a bit of bodging as my press didn’t fit the 1.5″ bottom cup. Ended up improvising with a couple of the spinny locking things that go on the end of bar bells. Seatpost, clamp and stem are parts bin bits that will be replaced at some point. Bar is a lovely new carbon Mt Zoom one. Forks are Reba RL’s from Merlin.

Wheels will be Crest Hope Hoops thanks to the Halfords PSA. Shifting will be 10 speed X9. Brakes need to come off another bike, Elixir something or other. And crankset will be XT with a single 34t Renthal loaned from another bike. Got a set of Racing Ralphs to go on, bad timing with the winter gloop!

mud-monster
    Free Member

Get the tunes on and build that thing!!! The MUD is waiting for u!

mrblobby
    Free Member

My toddler is kicking off, this may take a while! Did get the brakes off the doner bike, though missing a rear 160 adapter. Think I may be short on cable outer too. Trip down my lbs tomorrow.

sandwicheater

What tipple for a scandal build?

I went for Badger Blandford fly, yum yum. You’ll enjoy it, great bike. What travel are those forks?

Here’s my Scandale just after building;

[/url]
    Untitled by sandwicheater, on Flickr[/img]

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Just started my Meta AM and it’s going well, kitchens a right mess though. Having a pizza break now 🙂

The internal cable routing has been, touch wood, a doddle so far. Not looking forward to the rear brake hose.

mrblobby
    Free Member

A Cotes du Rhone is my current build tipple.

Got the boy back to sleep and the cranks off the doner bike. In need of a serious clean though.

Sandwicheater, forks are 100mm. Already got a LT HT for the tricky trails, the Scandal is going to be a bit more xc race. Are those revs on yours?

Mosey, nice build and nice looking tipple!

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

T’is lovely, friend left it behind last week. I’m happy to finish it all for him.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Another Scandal build here. Just think, if On One sent a working pair of wheels and when I ordered a second pair to get this finished this weekend and then they didn’t turn up, the wife is very disappointed I cant finish it for her……

Its all done other than the wheels. Everything else ready to fit.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Nice exotic kit there. Like that.

Well a bit more progress…

… though realised I also don’t have a post mount adapter for the front calliper. Definitely a trip down the LBS tomorrow. Can’t quite decide whether to swap the chain device for something lighter, or ditch it altogether and go NW and Type2. Hmm.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

My only progress is 4 more bottles (speckled hen) and a chainset fitted.

sandwicheater

I wish they were revs, nope, 100mm Reba dual air. Yours just looked long in the photo (insert silly giggle). Just think 120mm would make it more fun.

wiggles
    Free Member

Jealous of you lot, I have a frame and some wheels pretty much… A few bits missing to start being able to actually build it.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Lovely looking bike that Commencal.Do show us all the finished article Mosey.

Northwind

I would have said you were insane for not getting the yellow commi. But that’s actually pretty damn lovely.

matther01
    Free Member

My bandit frame is just begging to be built. Just waiting for a BB and RF NW ring.

OP – you’ll like the bars. I have the riser version.

That blue Commi is nice…rather like those forks too.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Yeah I love the blue, actually chose it over a 13 yellow, and I couldn’t be happier with the slants.

Ended up drinking a lot more than I meant to last night so progress was slow, off to the tip today this morning then cracking on later.

Scamper
    Free Member

Also love the blue- is the frame new new, and if so where did you get it?

Hope you enjoy the slants. The graphics actually have a protective film on which will peel off after a while.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Hi Scamper, not new mate no, there are some new on the commencal site but without a shock. This was a bargain.

It’s so over built I can see why it doesn’t have the snapping problems like some of the old commies.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Slow progress here…

Discs plumbed in but I think they need bleeding. Shifters and mech cabled up but I seem to have misplaced the chain 😳 Any tips for getting on foam grips?

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

Just finished my new build in time for the England v. Ireland game 😆

Northwind

Bike building’s too good to be rushed. It took me about 3 months to build my 224 😆

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

A whole weekend? Shouldn’t take more than 3 hours or so, unless you’re building the wheels too, then I’ll say about 5hrs. 🙂

Northwind

What’s the point of that? All you’ve got then is a bike. But while you’re building it, you’ve got a project. And piles of bits, and things to mess with, and frantic forum posts because it turns out your wheels don’t work…

mrblobby
    Free Member

PeterPoddy, it’s being built with ten minutes here and there between sneaking off weekend dad duties!

shortcut

3 hrs is about right. Wheels takes me a bit longer maybe 90 mins with coffee and tv time.

Record done by me and Simon at Nirvana was 40 minutes for a warranty frame swap.

yunki
    Free Member

well PeterPoddy.. I built one from a heap of iron ore and crude oil in 4mins 32 seconds with one hand tied behind my back..

and I was off my face on redbull and crack

Bolt

Mr blobby,
    Use IPA to put the foam grips on or hairspray is a good second.

Bolt

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thought about hairspray but I did wonder if it would be ok with the shiny mt zoom carbon bars.

And 3 hours is easy in a nice workshop with all tools and bits to hand with little disruption. None of which I currently have available 🙁 Hopefully get a good hour in tonight though once the boy is in bed and the turbo has been tamed.

Got an avid 185 post mount adapter kit for the front but it doesn’t look like the usual bracket, it’s just a couple of tubes of metal. There’s two sets in there, one labelled standard and the other CPS. They look to be different sizes. What’s all that about? The CPS looks like it’ll be the right size, standard looks too short. I’ll have a fiddle tonight.

Northwind

Foam grips- use cable ties. Put 4 ties inside the grip, then when you start to push it onto the bars, make sure they’re fairly easily spaced, it should go on easily- it’s basically going in on rails, rather than having the super-sticky foam stick against the bars.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Northwind, that is a top tip! Thanks.

rickon
    Free Member

I’d recommend some Hair Spray, or even GT85/WD40/light lube spray. It’s slippy until the grips have been on for a bit, then it sticks dry 🙂

wurzelcube
    Free Member

3 hours to build?! It’s taken me hours and hours to strip and rebuild mine with new bearings etc. I’ll console myself with the mis-placed belief that old parts take longer to fit than new parts!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Not the most successful hour of bike building. Managed to find the chain, got that on and the gears indexed. Then thought I’d stan’s up the wheels. Yellow tape on, pop a tube in to get everything seated properly… ah, no 29er tubes, bugger! Thought I’d try a 26er and see what happens. 10 minutes of wrestling to get the tyre on the rim. Pumped it up. Bang. Oh well, down the lbs for a tube tomorrow. Then thought I’d have a look at the brakes, a bit of fiddling and I reckon they definitely need bleeding, a job for tomorrow.

wurzelcube, definitely, the stripping and cleaning bit takes ages.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I found out my rear brake isn’t long enough, brand new too. Oh well, all sorted now.

I need to fit my new rotors and feed the brake hose through the internal routing, not looking forward to that.

Nothing better than a bike build weekend.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Easy for me tonight. Found 4 ti bolts in the bolt box, so bolted them on. I hope the wheels are here Monday or I’ll let the wife loose on the phone to on one……… 😯

Scamper
    Free Member

Hi mosey, do you know if any difference between the 12 and 13 am, apart from colour?

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Not that I can tell mate, exactly same geometry chart. The 13 came with a shock guard and some internal cable guides but so does the 12 (if new).

If I had a rear shock I’d have got the new one (12) from the commencal outlet:

http://www.commencal-store.co.uk/PBSCProduct.asp?ItmID=12500983

Or with shock and all the bits, except rear axle:

http://www.commencal-store.co.uk/PBSCProduct.asp?ItmID=12501000

The 13 comes with everything you need, the green/yellow is really growing on me:

http://www.commencal-store.co.uk/PBSCProduct.asp?ItmID=12501648

Scamper
    Free Member

Pity no mediums, although perhaps they may sell the frame without the dropper and forks package?

waldo1
    Free Member

enduroFinished this, this weekend.
    Enduro s works 650b

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

They are great communication wise, they always email back within a few hours. They also sent me some touch up paint free of charge.

I want to buy a shock guard but I’m not paying 14 euro postage.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Bike build weekend…’ is closed to new replies.