Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Bike Buddies
  • kimbers

i think i may join up any thoughts? fwiw i work in central london

Dear All,

We are launching a Bike Buddy Scheme at UCL in May for a trial period of one month.

It is a free service for UCL staff and students to help new and returning cyclists
    find a safe and suitable route from A to B.

Bike Buddies – experienced, confident cyclists – will help these individuals find
    the safest, most direct route and ride it with them. The rides may simply be
    recreation routes, home to work, work to home or a combination of each, or a
    lunchtime ride.

So we are looking for

1. people who would like a Bike Buddy

AND

2. experienced, confident cyclists who could offer a little of their time as a
    Bike Buddy

N.B. As a Bike Buddy, you will receive 2 hours training in early May. After that, a
    short-term trial period commitment to the Bike Buddy Service would be really great-
    eg. a total of 4 hours over the one-month period (but whatever time commitment you
    can offer will be warmly welcomed). If there is a lot of demand for the service then
    it would be nice if you could give more time/ continue after the trial period and we
    will also get more people trained as Bike Buddies.

This is the model we will follow:
    http://www.leeds.ac.uk/velocampus/downloads/F%20A%20Q%27s%20for%20bike%20buddies%20%282%29.pdf

N.B Last point would be relevant to potential buddies:
    “Q. I’d like to be a Bike Buddy, but I’m worried about being responsible for someone
    else on the road”
    “A. As a Bike Buddy you take NO responsibility for another cyclist. This will be
    made clear to any-one signing up for a Buddy. If you think someone is not confident
    enough to cycle with you then you can recommend they attend a cycle skills session,
    before bike buddying.”

If you think you would like to be involved as either a donor or recipient of this
    service, please contact me as soon as possible and preferably before the end of this
    week. And do send this email to UCL friends and colleagues who might like to be
    involved.

tomaso
    Free Member

I’ve shepherded someone into work a few times to get them used to it and its rewarding.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Bike Buddies’ is closed to new replies.